Roller coaster Relationships.

It seems that, unfortunately, everybody meets someone that drives them crazy. One day they act like someone who really cares about you, the next they act like they don't know who you are. Typically, the ratio of bad to good days are extremely skewed. Of course, overall, it's a horrible relationship but the few good days keep you around through the bad days.

When you finally decide that you have had enough of the bad times, they give you a slew of good days and comforting lies, which inevitably suck you back in and cloud your rational decision making abilities. You pull away, and they try everything they know you want (women use sex, men use words you want to hear) to get you back where they want you. Even when something drastic happens (cheating, exposed lying, blatant disregard for your happiness, etc.) you still can't seem to get away because they pull you back in. The good times become especially good because of their contrast with the bad times.

The worst part is that you get used to this dynamic. You can meet new people, good people that care about you and your happiness but it feels boring because you are used to the roller coaster.

How do you keep your head on straight when they try to pull you back in? How do you get off the ride?

Yes, I nearly destroyed my life over this type of relationship. The person in question literally ended up being institutionalized for a while. Jail is what got me off that ride. :wink2:

Back