Sharps Disposal: Medical Waste and Syringe Collection

Is proper disposal of used syringe and insulin really necessary?

• Is proper disposal of used insulin really necessary?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you use sharps either a needle for insulin or a lancet for blood glucose monitoring then you are responsible for the proper disposal of those sharps. Put it in a well made sharps container like what I have bought in Impact Hygiene. You might want to try and have one same as mine. Here's their link impacthygiene.com.au/sharps-disposal/. That might be helpful. You must protect yourself and others from needle stick injuries. Needle stick injuries is the term used for anyone sustaining an injury from a ‘sharps’. Having a sharps injury can lead to emotional distress and turmoil not only for the person injured but also their partners and family as they endure a three month wait to ensure they have not contracted a blood borne diseases.

your poll is flawed by the horribly worded questions in the answers section

In Pennsylvania, hospitals and other medical places are NOT required to take your used needles. They are allowed to actively refuse you. You are also NOT allowed to put a sharps container in the trash. So if I use a sharps container I am stuck with the needles FOREVER (or until they change the law). PA State Law actually says to put the needles into a solid container with a lid (such as a plastic coffee can). When it is full, tape the lid on securely and write "DO NOT OPEN" on the outside. If you write "SHARPS" you are not allowed to throw it away.

Bad law, but it is the law! You MUST know the laws where you live before you do anything with biohazards.

Yeah, I'm confused on the poll answers myself. It's the responsibility of the user to know their laws and to prevent some poor schlub from being stuck by using the appropriate containers. FYI: I am a diabetic, and I do NOT have to dispose of my lancets in a sharps container. I just have to put the safety tips back on -- of course this may be just the law where I have lived, but needles are what the health organizations seem to worry about.

Perhaps you work in the health-care industry OP, and are referring to the strict guidelines there?

If you just google your state you may find it very simple. In my state, collect your sharps in a solid plastic container...everyone lot's of "tubs" leftover from various shake mixes. Once full, stick a label on it that says "Do Not Recycle" and throw in the trash. States vary...so just check your state, remember, there are a lot of Type I and Type II diabetics that go through a lot of pins, and disposal is not meant to be difficult.

This appears to be a push poll... In this case pushing the named website ***55357;***56862;

Back