Starting TRT - My story about starting TRT

gottr

I am banned!
My goal:

I want to help others that are on the bubble about whether to start TRT. During my initial research into TRT I found it hard to find articles and posts that I connected with. My goal is to try to keep this updated as I go through the process.

Background:

38 yo
171 weight
5'9 height

Symptoms:

I was feeling rundown and tired all the time. I weight train about 3 times a week and my workouts were exhausting. I was just going through the motions to get the workouts done. Elbow joint pain in both elbows was really painful, golfers elbow, and there isn't much you can do about it. My anxiety was bad, sleep habits were bad, sexually desire with my wife was about weekly occurrence, brain fog, sore lower back, felt old and weak. I didn't feel like myself anymore so I started doing research on TRT and had my blood work checked. My testosterone levels came back in the "normal" range so my primary care physician wouldn't prescribe anything. My decision to start TRT was difficult because I fall within the "normal" range for T levels but after so much research thought that the my T levels were the cause of my problems. The other reason it was difficult for me to start was because of the negative news on TRT ie heart problems and prostate cancer. I decided that if there was a chance it would make me feel better then it was worth the risk. In my mind the worst case would be that I would have to stop taking it.

Since my primary prescribe it I turned to other providers and found IncreasemyT on these forums. The guys at IncreasemyT were really helpful in getting me started since I was a complete noob to all of this and super nervous.

My bloodwork prior to starting:
Test - 546
%Free - 2.34
Progesterone - .4
Estradiol - 22.7
Cortisol - 24.7

Week1

The doc started me on 200 Test Cyp per week with HCG and dex. The first week I didnt feel much of anything. I felt that something was going on but no noticeable benefits. I still felt exhausted and tired. Still going through the motions at the gym. I had gained a little weight and felt bloated.

Week2

Week 2 is where I started noticing changes. I felt stronger in the mornings. I was still tired and gained a little more weight early in the week but by the end of the week I felt like superman. My workouts were intense, probably the best workouts I have ever had my entire life, with next to 0 soreness or exhaustion. My energy level was through the roof. My elbow pain was mostly gone as was my lower back pain. I felt like my joints and muscles were all working in perfect harmony. Confidence was up as was my sexual desire. I have been sexual with my wife two days in a row now and cant seem to get enough. My dick doesnt feel old and is stronger than ever. My testicles are not as saggy and are pulled back up like I am a teenager again. I have not added aggression or any other noticeable sides. I have suffered with back acne since I was a teenager but havn't noticed that it was any worse. My muscles feel dense and strong instead of feeling soft and old.

I wish I would have started TRT way sooner. I havn't felt this invincible since I was a teenager. Almost all of the issues I was experiencing are completely gone in just two weeks. TRT for life!!!!!!

My personal thoughts on Testosterone:

I personally think that Testosterone decrease is a major contributing factor for age related degeneration in both men and women. Personally I wish I would have started supplementing T as soon as my levels started to drop. If you logically think about it, when levels start to drop, after your teen years, is when men and women both start to but on extra weight, additional fat, and start aging. My belief is that Testosterone is the key to staving off age degeneration. Everyone IMO should supplement Testosterone. These are just my opinions and I am not a doctor. Please do your own DD.

My goal:

I want to help others that are on the bubble about whether to start TRT. During my initial research into TRT I found it hard to find articles and posts that I connected with. My goal is to try to keep this updated as I go through the process.

Background:

38 yo
171 weight
5'9 height

Symptoms:

I was feeling rundown and tired all the time. I weight train about 3 times a week and my workouts were exhausting. I was just going through the motions to get the workouts done. Elbow joint pain in both elbows was really painful, golfers elbow, and there isn't much you can do about it. My anxiety was bad, sleep habits were bad, sexually desire with my wife was about weekly occurrence, brain fog, sore lower back, felt old and weak. I didn't feel like myself anymore so I started doing research on TRT and had my blood work checked. My testosterone levels came back in the "normal" range so my primary care physician wouldn't prescribe anything. My decision to start TRT was difficult because I fall within the "normal" range for T levels but after so much research thought that the my T levels were the cause of my problems. The other reason it was difficult for me to start was because of the negative news on TRT ie heart problems and prostate cancer. I decided that if there was a chance it would make me feel better then it was worth the risk. In my mind the worst case would be that I would have to stop taking it.

Since my primary prescribe it I turned to other providers and found IncreasemyT on these forums. The guys at IncreasemyT were really helpful in getting me started since I was a complete noob to all of this and super nervous.

My bloodwork prior to starting:
Test - 546
%Free - 2.34
Progesterone - .4
Estradiol - 22.7
Cortisol - 24.7

Week1

The doc started me on 200 Test Cyp per week with HCG and dex. The first week I didnt feel much of anything. I felt that something was going on but no noticeable benefits. I still felt exhausted and tired. Still going through the motions at the gym. I had gained a little weight and felt bloated.

Week2

Week 2 is where I started noticing changes. I felt stronger in the mornings. I was still tired and gained a little more weight early in the week but by the end of the week I felt like superman. My workouts were intense, probably the best workouts I have ever had my entire life, with next to 0 soreness or exhaustion. My energy level was through the roof. My elbow pain was mostly gone as was my lower back pain. I felt like my joints and muscles were all working in perfect harmony. Confidence was up as was my sexual desire. I have been sexual with my wife two days in a row now and cant seem to get enough. My dick doesnt feel old and is stronger than ever. My testicles are not as saggy and are pulled back up like I am a teenager again. I have not added aggression or any other noticeable sides. I have suffered with back acne since I was a teenager but havn't noticed that it was any worse. My muscles feel dense and strong instead of feeling soft and old.

I wish I would have started TRT way sooner. I havn't felt this invincible since I was a teenager. Almost all of the issues I was experiencing are completely gone in just two weeks. TRT for life!!!!!!

My personal thoughts on Testosterone:

I personally think that Testosterone decrease is a major contributing factor for age related degeneration in both men and women. Personally I wish I would have started supplementing T as soon as my levels started to drop. If you logically think about it, when levels start to drop, after your teen years, is when men and women both start to but on extra weight, additional fat, and start aging. My belief is that Testosterone is the key to staving off age degeneration. Everyone IMO should supplement Testosterone. These are just my opinions and I am not a doctor. Please do your own DD.

546 TT for your age isn't bad. I'm surprised a doc was willing to put you on TRT. Is this an anti aging clinic? They are a bit more liberal.

Not always but most docs won't touch TRT unless you are in the hood of sub 300

546 TT for your age isn't bad. I'm surprised a doc was willing to put you on TRT. Is this an anti aging clinic? They are a bit more liberal.

Not always but most docs won't touch TRT unless you are in the hood of sub 300

Clinic. I think that is the problem with primary care physicians, and the science in general, which is lacking, in that they are not treating TRT in a supplemental way. They are waiting for levels to be under 300 to put you back to 700'ish. But why wait? Why not take a proactive approach? I can tell you from personal experience, thus far on TRT I feel 1000% times better than I did at the "not bad" 546 levels. Wish I would have started years ago.

Clinic. I think that is the problem with primary care physicians, and the science in general, which is lacking, in that they are not treating TRT in a supplemental way. They are waiting for levels to be under 300 to put you back to 700'ish. But why wait? Why not take a proactive approach? I can tell you from personal experience, thus far on TRT I feel 1000% times better than I did at the "not bad" 546 levels. Wish I would have started years ago.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the boards!

Glad you're feeling so great after 2 weeks...took me a bit longer than that to start feeling results like 3-4 and then it keeps getting better. Good luck!

Glad you're feeling so great after 2 weeks...took me a bit longer than that to start feeling results like 3-4 and then it keeps getting better. Good luck!

It's crazy cause I can't imagine it getting better but I am really looking forward to it!

Last edited:
It's crazy cause I can't imagine it getting better but I am really looking forward to it!

It's slower from here on out at least it was for me. But you should see continued faster progress in the gym, you start healing quicker from workouts, and strength / progress comes a little easier. It's not anything crazy mind you (we're not cycling here), but over a month, 3 months, 6 months you look back and go "oh yea, that was better progress".

Looks like you're keeping a log on how you feel and I'd recommend continuing to do so. It'll help identify if any tweaks need to be made as your journey continues(i.e. E2 management) and get blood work done regularly. IMT should keep you straight here (I'm a fan) but our health is on us as well "trust but verify". - Keep us posted as your journey continues.

It's slower from here on out at least it was for me. But you should see continued faster progress in the gym, you start healing quicker from workouts, and strength / progress comes a little easier. It's not anything crazy mind you (we're not cycling here), but over a month, 3 months, 6 months you look back and go "oh yea, that was better progress".

Looks like you're keeping a log on how you feel and I'd recommend continuing to do so. It'll help identify if any tweaks need to be made as your journey continues(i.e. E2 management) and get blood work done regularly. IMT should keep you straight here (I'm a fan) but our health is on us as well "trust but verify". - Keep us posted as your journey continues.

Thanks for sharing.

Week3

This week was much like Week2 with continued progress in the gym. Before starting TRT it was a struggle for me to get to the gym and my workouts made me exhausted. Now I have been going every day and look forward to going. My workouts are great and my recovery time is non-existent. This week I noticed my weight stabilize, which I am happy about. I recently lost 25 lbs and didn't want to put all of it back on again. My body fat appears to be melting away and I look a little leaner this week. My shoulders seem wider and my definition seems more defined overall. My confidence is up and my sex drive is out of control. I noticed testicle shrinkage, but overall not too bad, reminds me of my testicles when I was 17. I am still having anxiety issues but my brain fog seems to be under control. I am still having tension headaches but I am dealing with stress much much better. Little things don't seem to effect me as negatively as they once did. My energy level and focus are both really good this week.

Continued progress = better :)
Were you prescribed hcg? Should help with shrinkage.
Funny you mentioned dealing with stress better, I had the same experience...more level headed on test.

Took me longer than two weeks to start feeling better, but once/ week sex would have been like an orgy to me before trt. Now it's at least five times / week, but I was sub 200 and probably should have sought out help years ago. Same deal with the gym though. I was making progress prior, but it was a struggle. I've made some serious progress in the gym this past year.

What was the Adex dosage/protocol?
I'm wondering a higher T dosage needs to be matched with a higher Adex dosage.

Back