Supplementing diet while on cycle.

Bigboss12

I know real food is better but if you can't get in a meal or your macros for the day is supplementing with like a mass gainer drink or a smoothie of some type a good option?

Last edited:
Bcaa
glutamine
creatine
Whey protein.
Vit c
curcumin
nac
krill oil
vit d3
B complex
magnesium

Last edited:
There's been a ton of threads on this. I've read alot of them there's mixed feelings but there is no substitute for real food and,all it offers.

I suggest to get the meals in. I bring a big cooler with me packed with tuna, chicken, spinach, veggies etc when Im going to be out for more than 3 hours.

I use shakes post workout, casein at night that's it.

There has been a few threads and most of them were wrong. The best thing you can supplement is Whey isolate because it is absorbed in the lining of the stomach. Anyone who says other wise is full of Shit. IT's why Whey isolate is the best thing to consume post workout at the gym.

There has been a few threads and most of them were wrong. The best thing you can supplement is Whey isolate because it is absorbed in the lining of the stomach. Anyone who says other wise is full of Shit. IT's why Whey isolate is the best thing to consume post workout at the gym.

Agreed whey isolate post work out.

Are you saying it would be ok to just drink whey isolate all day instead of eating real food?

His question was based on not being able to hit his macros and supplement with shakes In stead of making time to eat.

^ yes that is what i was saying for sure. or if i don't have an appetite for a meal that makes it hard sometimes also but that is rare. and this is mostly on 2 days a week when work gets busier then usual otherwise i can always fit in the meals.

I know real food is better but if you can't get in a meal or your macros for the day is supplementing with like a mass gainer drink or a smoothie of some type a good option?

Yes if you cant get a while food meal in for whatever reason (busy schedule, or just dont feel like eating) then a shake is a good option, certainly better than not eating. I would steer clear of weight gainers though as they are, for the moat part, packed full of sugar and shit. I make my own high calorie shakes. No problem downing 1000cals in 15 mins with those shakes, and they taste a whole lot better then weight gainers. And if you make your own your not actually substituting whole food as that is made with whole foods.

When I first wake up I'm not hungry.. but I know I need to break my fast.. so I pop a Dbol and chug a Whey Isolate protein drink with milk, that's what 'supplementing' is for, its not replacing a meal.. I still eat breakfast about an hour later, but when I first wake up I'm not ready for whole food

When I first wake up I'm not hungry.. but I know I need to break my fast.. so I pop a Dbol and chug a Whey Isolate protein drink with milk, that's what 'supplementing' is for, its not replacing a meal.. I still eat breakfast about an hour later, but when I first wake up I'm not ready for whole food

I find this a great way to kickstart your appetite for the day. Get the juices flowing..

Ok Just so you understand. I thought about it you are still small guys. I've lost 30 pounds and still weigh 250. When I'm training full time I need over 4000 calories a day and consume 500-550 grams a day of protein. I eat every 2.5 -3 hrs. If I don't get my protein in I will loose 3 pounds a day. Eating is a full time job. My shakes are 70 grams. FYI - I tried to go to 100g and my kidneys shut down. IT was very painful. The trick is to prep your food and take it with you. I used to cook scrambles eggs and chicken and leave on my night stand for a 3 am meal. Make sure your supplementing fiber and getting enough dairy.

For the record I'm dropping weight to 220 life is more manageable and active when you don't have to carry your for every where you go.

The best thing you can supplement is Whey isolate because it is absorbed in the lining of the stomach. Anyone who says other wise is full of Shit. IT's why Whey isolate is the best thing to consume post workout at the gym.

No offence but can you provide a single credible reference for your "absorbed in the lining of the stomach" statement please?

First of all you never "absorb" protein, you simply have different rates of digestion and here is a basic physiology 101 lesson showing how its done:

Protein Digestion

Whey skips the digestion process that begins in the stomach but NOT the continuation of that process in the small intestine by enzymes excreted by the pancreas.
All proteins get digested in the small intestine where the protein chains get broken down by different enzymes to produce individual amino acids.
After this digestive process is completed (some of which occurs in the cells lining the small intestine), the amino acids are transported into the blood.

In other words, there is NO WAY that whey isolate can skip the small intestine and make it into the bloodstream.

Last edited:
No offence but can you provide a single credible reference for your "absorbed in the lining of the stomach" statement please?

First of all you never "absorb" protein, you simply have different rates of digestion and here is a basic physiology 101 lesson showing how its done:

Protein Digestion

Whey skips the digestion process that begins in the stomach but NOT the continuation of that process in the small intestine by enzymes excreted by the pancreas.
All proteins get digested in the small intestine where the protein chains get broken down by different enzymes to produce individual amino acids.
After this digestive process is completed (some of which occurs in the cells lining the small intestine), the amino acids are transported into the blood.

In other words, there is NO WAY that whey isolate can skip the small intestine and make it into the bloodstream.

Why do you always have to be smart and shit. I want to be smart too

As an aside, I am very lactose intolerant, but Cold Micro Filtered Whey Isolate is tolerated by me well.

Protein Digestion

What's your opinion on whey vs casein protein in regards to AA down regulation? I'm starting to feel if protein intake is adequate through out the day that a bolus amount of AA from the fast absorbing whey would just cause an overtaxing effect and cause down regulation in AA sensitivity. Therefore not providing any real benefit(except in maybe low doses such as 20g) ... I can't imagine 60g of whey being completely utilized by even very large guys.

get digestion pills,Lol. sounds crazy but digestion aid helped me put on weight as it increased my appetite and i stopped taking them after 10 days i was used to eating every 2-3 hours..

What's your opinion on whey vs casein protein in regards to AA down regulation? I'm starting to feel if protein intake is adequate through out the day that a bolus amount of AA from the fast absorbing whey would just cause an overtaxing effect and cause down regulation in AA sensitivity. Therefore not providing any real benefit(except in maybe low doses such as 20g) ... I can't imagine 60g of whey being completely utilized by even very large guys.

A reduction in AA sensitivity does occur if whey is consumed multiple times a day - this doesn't happen with casein due to the slower release.
Combine this with inadequate protein intake and you have a situation where your burning off more protein than normal.
This means that unless you get some protein every 2-3 hours (the time in takes for whey to crash your AA levels below baseline) then your simply never going to be utilizing enough protein for muscle growth.
This is where the "you need to eat protein every 2-3 hours" stuff comes from - this only applies when daily protein intake is inadequate to begin with.

The rest of your opinion I pretty much agree with.
Since it has proven that only 8-10g of whey is utilized per hour, I see no benefit whatsoever if consuming more than 20-30g in any scenario.
I would go further and say that unless you've had nothing preworkout and need some AA in your system, I see no need to supplement with whey at all - ever.
Casein on the other hand can be consumed whenever - on the run at work, no time to prep another meal, etc.

In relation to the question about needing a quick source of protein when on the run at work, no time to prep a meal, etc...
How about a source that has:
- whey protein
- casein protein
- some carbs
- some fats

Its called Milk :)

Last edited:
Back