Taking Whey with fat...

athiktos

7 wks off (broken elbow!)
so i was wondering...if i were to take whey protein at night with some fat would it in effect make it act as a slower absorbing protein or will it just hurt the absorbtion into my body. i know fat will hinder the absorbtion, but i was wondering if it would make the whey last more over night. thanks.

the fat will slow the absoroption. I believe fiber eaten with protein can hinder the absorption slightly, not too sure about fat. Even if it does, i dont think it would be to any significant degree.

thanks. i understand some of that and i know thats why you dont take fat for PWO meal, but i was thinking more along the lines of almost making whey act more like casein protein...something like that.

Yes, it would help. I find taking 25g of whey and 25g of Casein with some EFA's to be a good blend before bedtime. With Casein being more expensive than the whey, this will make it last longer while still getting some of the slow releasing effects.

Just before bed, I take a protein mix (60% Casein, 20% Egg, 20% Whey) along with 2-3 grams of Fish oil.

Gumbo

TxLonghorn said:
What do you mix with it? Water? Juice? How does it taste?
i get true protien brand...with the BSL choco flavor...blend PB in water (10-12oz) and 32grams of casien powder and 32g of egg white powder..blend for a few moments and throw it back..tastes decent. have had better shakes. but it only takes a few moments to drink it.

also this shake comes out to nutrient wise:
fat: 16
carbs: 7
fiber: 2
protien: 56

Last edited:
i usually have steak before bed, but i also use a TP blend on 40/20/20 whey ionX/egg white/micellar casein (per MassiveG's recommendation). Right now im using banana flavor and it is delicious.

athiktos said:
so i was wondering...if i were to take whey protein at night with some fat would it in effect make it act as a slower absorbing protein or will it just hurt the absorbtion into my body. i know fat will hinder the absorbtion, but i was wondering if it would make the whey last more over night. thanks.

Yup...whey with fat should definetely slow down the absorbtion of whey in the body...if you dont wanna eat fat...mix the whey with milk

athiktos said:

yup..it will slow down the absorbtion of whey therefore its good to mix it in your night shake to make the protein"last" longer.

Back