The negative effects I have encountered from being on TRT

Spunkey71

As some of you may know I have been on TRT now for three months. When I first started TRT I had a my Total Testosterone of 64 and now after three months I am up to 510. Like many of you I felt the difference after only a couple of weeks but really felt a significant difference after about the 6th week. Starting TRT has truly been a life changing experience for me, before starting TRT like many of you I had no energy, was very lethargic, depressed, grumpy, always tired and just had no desire to do anything.

It did not take long before I started to feel like I could start doing all the things that I did when I was younger and the first thing on my list was to lose weight and get into shape. Having low T for as long as I did I got fat, very fat, I would eat crap and then sit on my ass and just watch TV or sleep. The first thing I did was to hire 3J to design a diet for me and I have followed it to the letter and have seen great results (30 pounds in 10 weeks). I then went out and got a gym membership and started hitting the gym 4-5 days a week doing cardio and resistance training. I felt so good that I started to really push myself in the gym and started lifting heavy with a lot of intensity like I did when I was in my early 20’s and was able to really grow. I started to see some results from my time in the gym and this only spurred me on to work even harder and I have been very happy with my new outlook on life and lifestyle.

Well about a week ago everything changed, while doing my second set of squats, now remember I am a big guy (370) so I don’t go very heavy on squats, 15 reps at 135 as I was coming up I felt my knee pop. I can only think of one other time that I have felt more pain than that moment and I knew I had blown my knee out. I took a couple days off from the gym and wrapped up my knee and hit the gym to work shoulders. While doing my second or third set of lateral raises I felt my elbow pop and again experienced pain almost unlike any other that I have ever felt.

I went to see an orthopedic today and was given the bad news, I must go under the knife and have surgery on both my knee and elbow. The moral of this story is that TRT truly is amazing, yes it can make you feel like you did when you were in your early 20’s but we must remember that we are not 20 any longer, our bodies do age and we need to slowly progress. The worst part of all of this is that I have not been able to workout in a little over a week and it is killing me, I can’t wait to get these surgeries done with so I can get back into the gym. Even though I have to have surgery on both my knee and elbow I do not regret getting back in the gym or starting TRT, nothing will stop me from regaining my life!

I am sorry to hear about this Spunkey. I wish you a speedy recovery. Maybe you should ask for some HGH.

You hear about this happening a lot to guys running cycles. Their muscles grow and strengthen much fast than their joints do. Their ligaments and tendons can't keep up and they get injured.

This is a good reminder yo ease back into things.

Get plenty of rest and don't rush back into things. Talk to 3J about adjusting your calories while you are recovering. Good luck.

Geez Spunkey, that's really unfortunate. How long were you in the gym before you went at it all gung-ho? I wouldn't call it a negative effect of TRT though to be fair. It was a negative effect of Spunkey lifting like a madman! :D

I do truly hope you have a speedy recovery man. Nobody likes seeing their goals pushed out further due to complications outside our control. :(

Damn it man. I know how it feels to go from a high like that to a low. Good luck to ya, you'll get it back keep your mind right. Strong mind strong body!

Hard to hear and I'm sure a good lesson for many! I've worked out my whole life since I was 13, sports, mma, and TRT or not I'm but a shadow of myself when I as 25-28.

It's funny I think guys in general hate to admit they have lost a step. May it be sports, working out, looks, the bedroom etc etc.

I've been on TRT for 8 weeks now and I can feel my joints ache. When I as 28 and all natural with normal test levels not high normal like I am now I was benching 460, squat 540, deadlift 530 now I'm won't touch a bench over 315, squat over 225, deadlift over 225 and in fact am slowly phasing both of the latter out. Disc compression is disc compression no matter what any powerlifter or bodybuilder tells you. Discs don't get stronger they are not muscles and degeneration through weights is super prevalent.

I'm not even 40 and don't even play full court basketball anymore for fear of blowing a knee. I know to many weekend warriors my age 38-45 that have torn a ACL or MCL.

So, I agree feel is one thing, but reality is another. I KNOW I'm not capable of what I was and have no issue with that. I'd rather be safe then sorry!

Speedy recovery!!

Geez Spunkey, that's really unfortunate. How long were you in the gym before you went at it all gung-ho? I wouldn't call it a negative effect of TRT though to be fair. It was a negative effect of Spunkey lifting like a madman! :D

I do truly hope you have a speedy recovery man. Nobody likes seeing their goals pushed out further due to complications outside our control. :(

I was lifting for a couple of months before I started to lift heavier and heavier. I probable increased weight too quickly but when you are in the gym and you feel good and your strength increases pretty quickly it is hard not to lift heavy so you don't feel like you are not doing anything in the gym.

No it really isn't a negative effect of TRT, my way of trying to add a little levity to my situation.

I was lifting for a couple of months before I started to lift heavier and heavier. I probable increased weight too quickly but when you are in the gym and you feel good and your strength increases pretty quickly it is hard not to lift heavy so you don't feel like you are not doing anything in the gym.

No it really isn't a negative effect of TRT, my way of trying to add a little levity to my situation.
All good brother, I do truly hope you come out on top of this. Yeah, you very likely went a bit too fast as those connective tissues can be quite stubborn when it comes to strengthening them. I'm really surprised that you had that happen to two different joints though in such a small amount of time. Were you on an antibiotic by chance?

All good brother, I do truly hope you come out on top of this. Yeah, you very likely went a bit too fast as those connective tissues can be quite stubborn when it comes to strengthening them. I'm really surprised that you had that happen to two different joints though in such a small amount of time. Were you on an antibiotic by chance?

I am on TRT (160mg a week) and never have run a cycle. I have had bad knees for years so I am not surprised that one of them finally gave out. The elbow on the other hand is a bit of a surprise as I have never had any issues before.

I am on TRT (160mg a week) and never have run a cycle. I have had bad knees for years so I am not surprised that one of them finally gave out. The elbow on the other hand is a bit of a surprise as I have never had any issues before.

I am no doctor and I don't know the details of your injury but it may be worth it to try other means of therapy like, physical therapy and maybe even yoga. Again I don't know the details of your injury but I have seen it to many times friends of mine go under the knife for injuries and never fully recover or come out worse then when they went it. I too a few years ago had knee issues from racing when I was younger along with shoulder issues. I couldn't even do a squat without extreme pain. I started phisical therapy, yoga and foam rolling. Pain free for over two years now. Now like I said I know nothing of your situation but I just hate to see people go under the knife before getting a second opinion or exhausting all other options first. Good luck man hope you have a speedy recovery

My doctor has me on a anti inflammatory right now and it is really helping, what we discovered is that the tendons are getting inflamed and the inflamed tendons are pushing up against the nerves which is what is causing all the pain.

Back