The politics of TRT - is it an issue for you?

Sedg1

Friends, I have been on TRT (150mg pw) for approximately three years and it has changed my life for the better in so many ways. Along with a clean diet, 7-8 hours of sleep per night and intense workouts up to 5 days per week I am in the best health space and level of physical fitness of my life. I am pushing 60, but look years younger. My trough number is about 450 with low hematocrit (I donate), low E2 and no discernible atrophy or gyno. And it has also reversed the bone density issues I have had for years due to the bad steroids I had to take for an autoimmune disease. After three years of having to go to my doc's office for injections, he finally parted with the institutional policy and gave me a script for home injection. Very happy about that.
Every year my pals look progressively older and suffer more medical issues because they do not take steps to promote the best possible health. They ask me what I do to stay so fit and robust. I freely share my thoughts on the benefits of proper diet, sleep and exercise. But the fact is that I was doing all of those things before I was diagnosed with hypogonadism, primary. It has been the TRT that has made all the difference.
But I do not share that fact. I am not comfortable revealing that I am on a course of TRT. Fact is that I do not want to be lumped in the same brain place as those who abuse steroids for fun or profit. No one harbors ill thoughts of someone who is obliged to take insulin or B-12 injections. And no woman would chide another who was on estrogen replacement therapy. But TRT is different. And it trouble me every time I read about yet another athlete whose secretly juices for advantage because it just widens the black hole of public perception that sucks us all in. Beyond that, I have committed myself to a lifestyle that has paid off. The TRT has allowed me to reach these goals. Those who do not understand the physiology of TRT, including the fractional doses that we take to maintain a healthy, but not supra-physiologic level, could cynically attribute my level of fitness as coming exclusively from a bottle.
It is a shame. I would like to be able to share my experience with others who may benefit from this therapy as I have. But not a the cost of having to defend it or myself.
So how do you guys deal with this issue? Or is it not an issue for you.
Cheers.

The issue is entirely what you make of it. I have zero issues explaining to others how TRT has been such a tremendous facilitator of change in my life as I went from almost dead and buried at 33 to the 40 year old that outpaces the 20-somethings at the gym.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about, and I assure you that while some folks are looking to complain about someone else "cheating" or they're looking for a magic bullet to skip the hard work that comes with fixing one's body - I suspect most just want to feel better too.

I have probably directed at least a dozen or so guys on to not only seeking more education on the matter, but almost all of them were hypogonadal themselves and are now on TRT as well.

That makes me feel awesome; knowing that by being open with a "personal" issue, I can touch another's life in a meaningful way.

My .02c :)

Last edited:
I have only been on TRT for 3 months. I have had great results in the areas that matter, and only a few side effects (some atrophy so I will bring up HCG with my Doc next month when I see him, and I am now growing sideburns on my back). At the same time, I have lost 20 lbs and gone down a pant size. When people ask me why, I tell them about the diet and exercise changes. I have told a few close friends that I am on TRT, one of whom who knows he is hypogonadal and is going to talk to his Doc about getting testosterone. To answer your question, I don't advertise, but I do share with close friends.

It's a shame testosterone has become such a taboo topic in our society. I personally don't feel comfortable talking about it, but I'm pretty new to trt. Not that I would not talk about it, it would just have to be someone I know would understand.

The friends I really care about get to know about my TRT, but none of my guy friends have even looked into what there own test levels are. For guys, they seem to be afraid of the subject.... like going to a small dick clinic. The women I talk to about hormones are much more open minded about getting their levels checked.

The friends I really care about get to know about my TRT, but none of my guy friends have even looked into what there own test levels are. For guys, they seem to be afraid of the subject.... like going to a small dick clinic. The women I talk to about hormones are much more open minded about getting their levels checked.
Bahahahahaha!

Sadly, that's SOOOO true!

Funny how society thinks that penile size somehow has something to do with masculinity. It's all the hardy boys doing the work, yet they get none of the respect. :eek:

Bahahahahaha!

It's all the hardy boys doing the work, yet they get none of the respect. :eek:

Funny you should use that analogy. I read all the Hardy Boys books growing up. And, as an adult, I thought of one scrape Frank and Joe never encountered. I would have called the book, "The Hardy Boys in the House of Ill Repute."

For me, there is a question: Did I fail the boys, or are the boys failing me.

I know that being hypo-gonadal is a medical condition, but it does cut to the heart of manhood. I guess I feel embarrassed even though, intellectually, I know that I shouldn't.

Autoimmune disease? I also have one and often wonder if the two are related. If you don't mind what one ?

Autoimmune disease? I also have one and often wonder if the two are related. If you don't mind what one ?

No worries. Crohns, since I was 15. I have never made a connection between that and hypogonadism, but one never knows given the fact that an autoimmune disease is systemic. The hip bone is connected...

So, I understand completely where you are coming from. But, in all honesty, I think that anyone who is on TRT should actually be more open about it and start spreading the word and educating people on the subject. So many males suffer their whole entire lives due to a Testosterone issue of some kind and have no idea what the actual issue is. The even sader part then that. Is some of these individuals actually DO go to their GP to seek help and get steered in the completely wrong direction. It is sad. How many people who are on prescribed SSRIs would be able to drop them if they, and their doctors were educated on HRT? I bet you a shitload. And how many males would be able to drop most of their medication with a simple adjustment of hormone levels with the help of HRT, which, if needed is healthier to do then to not do? Id bet a shitload again. But, it has been given a bad name for no reason whatsoever, so people shy away from talking about it. IMO shying away from it isnt helping anything. Men should be treated as equally as women when it comes to insufficient levels of the hormone that makes us who we are.

Aside from work, I have no problem telling people i am on TRT. I have actually guided some people to educate themselves more about it and seek help for the issues they were having. If you really think about it though, theres no need to hide it. Its absolutely no different then if your pancreas was toast and you needed insulin. Its no different. Something isnt functioning properly and you need something to fix that thing to maintain health.

Now, like I said I have no prolem talking about TRT. Blasting on the other hand, I keep to myself :)

I just really don't give a flying F what anyone else's opinion is about why I'm healthier than they are. Hop on board or get left behind. Live your life brotha.

Back