Thyroidectomy and fears of weight gain.

LateStart

Beginning of next month my wife is having a complete thyroidectomy (graves disease). She has been hyper for so long that she terrified of dealing with the struggles of being hypo. She is 5' 8" and 130 lbs. Pretty fit.....she is a runner and watches what she eats. Besides the fact that we are both terrified of the procedure and all that comes along with it.......she is depressed thinking she will gain weight. I've tried to calm her nerves but she has read so many bad experiences.
I know she can get her thyroid hormone levels balanced through a good doctor....but does anyone have any personal experience or advice?

I will help her with her diet and she has already began actual weight training for the first time in her life, always stuck to running for exercise. She goes to the gym with me and she diets with me. Can anyone share a positive story about life after a thyroidectomy or offer any advice/ words of encouragement that I can share with her.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
Update: in case anyone else goes through this or has someone close to you go through it, I'll throw out a lil info on our experience. Surgery is complete and went very well. Recovery is going great. They gave her synthroid 100mcg for a starting dose while waiting for her natural levels to fall out. They have now raised it to 125mcg and will test in a fee weeks to adjust further if needed. She is on a low carb diet now and easily losing some unwanted weight, so her fears of weight gain are fading :). Anyway....she's doin great and not too worried about her future treatment anymore.
One question if anyone knows.......What sort of dose should we expect her to end up at? I anticipate a higher dose than 125 but really have no idea. I know it's individual, just wondering if anyone has any knowledge in this area.
Thanks for reading

I had an Old Girlfriend go through this Procedure, quite a few years ago.

She was on Meds for a long time (don't remember the dosing).
But she's been Great for the last 5 years without any Meds.
Her weight has stabilized, and she's in good shape for nearly 65.
She doesn't have a Gut, and actually got a little more Ass, which is Attractive ~ Not a Big Ass....................... JP
P.S.
Medication for this will vary with the Individual, so the Doctor had mentioned to Her.

All the Best to you and your Wife !

I had an Old Girlfriend go through this Procedure, quite a few years ago.

She was on Meds for a long time (don't remember the dosing).
But she's been Great for the last 5 years without any Meds.
Her weight has stabilized, and she's in good shape for nearly 65.
She doesn't have a Gut, and actually got a little more Ass, which is Attractive ~ Not a Big Ass....................... JP
P.S.
Medication for this will vary with the Individual, so the Doctor had mentioned to Her.

All the Best to you and your Wife !

Thanks for the well wishes bro

believe it or not shes actually going to be in a better place.. graves disease vs taking thyroid meds ill take the latter any day.

shes better off doing the surgery and balancing out her thyroid levels with drugs.. the big thing here is finding the right doctor to put her levels where it needs to be.

she'll be feeling a lot better

believe it or not shes actually going to be in a better place.. graves disease vs taking thyroid meds ill take the latter any day.

shes better off doing the surgery and balancing out her thyroid levels with drugs.. the big thing here is finding the right doctor to put her levels where it needs to be.

she'll be feeling a lot better

Thank you sir. I will shoot out an update when she gets dialed in. I ordered a bunch of t3 in case she needed it. Her Dr is confident that taking the t4 will convert enough to t3 for her to feel great, so we are waiting to see how it turns out. Should know a lot more in a few weeks.

Back