To bake or not to bake?

poindexter

There was a debate and I think it was on this site about baking gear and whether it was beneficial or not, I was wondering if most have come to mutual understanding or if there was still a split about heating oil in the oven to kill bacteria, etc, etc. So do you bake or what, and why?

Nah, dont want your gear to oxidize and go bad. Besides, pushing it through the filter takes a lot of the impurities out and BA keeps the bacteria away

Nah, dont want your gear to oxidize and go bad. Besides, pushing it through the filter takes a lot of the impurities out and BA keeps the bacteria away

So it sounds like you've had no problems with the no bake method huh? I fixed a batch but I haven't baked it yet, I might try just as it is and if its more potent its no bake for me from now on, because I get the feeling excessive heat degrades the gear. Thanks for the post my friend.

So it sounds like you've had no problems with the no bake method huh? I fixed a batch but I haven't baked it yet, I might try just as it is and if its more potent its no bake for me from now on, because I get the feeling excessive heat degrades the gear. Thanks for the post my friend.

Nope never had any problems not baking my gear. I've had a friend do it though and it degraded his gear dramatically which is why I avoid baking it

The best way to do it is autoclave your gear. And then you take the smallest micron syringe filter you can get and use it to filter into syringe. The throw away filter and add new filter and needle and then you get a new sterlie already sealed vial. Put a pin in the top and then put the new pin and filter into the top of the vial and start to very slowly filter it into the new sterile vial. The extra pin in the top is just to vent the vial as you push the newly filtered oil into the vial. If you get the smaller micron filter available it WILL catch all viruses and bacteria.

The best way to do it is autoclave your gear. And then you take the smallest micron syringe filter you can get and use it to filter into syringe. The throw away filter and add new filter and needle and then you get a new sterlie already sealed vial. Put a pin in the top and then put the new pin and filter into the top of the vial and start to very slowly filter it into the new sterile vial. The extra pin in the top is just to vent the vial as you push the newly filtered oil into the vial. If you get the smaller micron filter available it WILL catch all viruses and bacteria.

When I first read this I was like, is he serious, who has autoclaves just laying around the house right? Then I went on amazon to see if they sold them for a reasonable price and I found a few, glad I checked before I came off like a smart a$$. As for the other info, I have used that method and it works just fine, thanks. My question is what brand autoclave do you use and are the ones on amazon good enough to get the job done? one in particular is called ultrasonic cleaner model d 3800 a. Thanks for looking out bro.

When I first read this I was like, is he serious, who has autoclaves just laying around the house right? Then I went on amazon to see if they sold them for a reasonable price and I found a few, glad I checked before I came off like a smart a$$. As for the other info, I have used that method and it works just fine, thanks. My question is what brand autoclave do you use and are the ones on amazon good enough to get the job done? one in particular is called ultrasonic cleaner model d 3800 a. Thanks for looking out bro.

You can get one for like 300 on craigslist. Or you can make ur own with a pressure cooker at 15 psi and a metal grate in the bottom so your gear dont touch the water, and a lil water in the bottom. Cook at like 212-250F for 30-1 hour.

You can get one for like 300 on craigslist. Or you can make ur own with a pressure cooker at 15 psi and a metal grate in the bottom so your gear dont touch the water, and a lil water in the bottom. Cook at like 212-250F for 30-1 hour.

Dude you are worth your weight in gold for this one, start a thread on the method you use bro, and post some autoclaves or pressure cookers you think will work, and thanks again bro.

I use a syringe and a needle for venting the vial, so I'm wondering if moisture can get in through these small openings? You ever had that happen?

Yes, Poindexter it does...
And that was going to be my next question, anyone come up with a way to vent your vials without them picking up water?
Or even experiences with if a vent is truly necessary? Anyone have vials blow on them?
The vial and water in it are sterile after the autoclave, just mainly annoying having bits of water floating around in your oil.

If you filter through a 22micron into a sterile vial there's no point to baking. If you fill multiple open mouth vials and cap them after I think it wise to bake them.

Back