Too much testosterone kills brain cells

I

Insane_Man

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060926...qFAFs5a24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NW41NTlyBHNlYwMxNzAx

oo much testosterone kills brain cells

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent Tue Sep 26, 4:59 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Too much testosterone can kill brain cells, researchers said on Tuesday in a finding that may help explain why steroid abuse can cause behavior changes like aggressiveness and suicidal tendencies.

ests on brain cells in lab dishes showed that while a little of the male hormone is good, too much of it causes cells to self-destruct in a process similar to that seen in brain illnesses such as Alzheimer's.

"Too little testosterone is bad, too much is bad but the right amount is perfect," said Barbara Ehrlich of Yale University in Connecticut, who led the study.

Testosterone is key to the development, differentiation and growth of cells and is produced by both men and women, although men produce about 20 times more of the hormone.

It can also be abused, and recent scandals have involved athletes who use the hormone, or steroids that turn into testosterone in the body, for an unfair advantage.

"Other people have shown that high levels of steroid can cause behavioral changes," Ehrlich said in a telephone interview.

"We can show that when you have high levels of steroids, you have high testosterone and that can destroy the nerve cells. We know that when you lose brain cells you lose function."

Ehrlich's team tried the same thing with the "female" hormone estrogen, just to be fair.

"We were surprised, but it actually looks like estrogen is neuroprotective. If anything, there is less cell death in the presence of estrogen," she said.

Writing in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, Ehrlich and colleagues said their findings meant people should think twice about supplementing with testosterone, even if it does build muscle mass and aid recovery after exercise.

"These effects of testosterone on neurons will have long term effects on brain function," they wrote.

"Next time a muscle-bound guy in a sports car cuts you off on the highway, don't get mad -- just take a deep breath and realize that it might not be his fault," Ehrlich said in a statement.

The cells die via a process called apoptosis, also known as cell suicide or programmed cell death.

"Apoptosis is an important thing for the brain -- the brain needs to weed out some of the cells. But when it happens too frequently, you lose too many cells and causes problems."

A similar process is seen in
Alzheimer's disease, the most common cause of dementia in the United States, affecting an estimated 4.5 million Americans, and Huntington's disease, another fatal brain illness.

"Our results suggest that the responses to elevated testosterone can be compared with these pathophysiological conditions," the researchers wrote.

I, for one, would like to see the actual study data. To me throwing testosterone into cells in petri sishes just doesn't seem like it would have 100% carryover to injecting steroids into a working human body....

Insane_Man said:
I, for one, would like to see the actual study data. To me throwing testosterone into cells in petri sishes just doesn't seem like it would have 100% carryover to injecting steroids into a working human body....

Yea if anyone could find it that would be great.

Insane_Man said:
"Next time a muscle-bound guy in a sports car cuts you off on the highway, don't get mad -- just take a deep breath and realize that it might not be his fault," Ehrlich said in a statement.
Nice scientific statement, there.

The tidbit about estrogen being protective is interesting. If what this study suggests is even true, then perhaps the corresponding increase in estrogen will counteract the negative effects of the testosterone. Of course, using an aromatase inhibitor breaks this.

mranak said:
Nice scientific statement, there.

Yeah, I'm picturing a pencil necked geek who got picked on by all the big guys.

If anyone could conjure up this study or at elast an outline, that would be great. It amazes me sometimes how creative some dipshits can get with random ass data, drawing all sorts of conclusions out of nowhere. Like that university study where they proposed heavy lifting could lead to glaucoma because of an in crease in fluid pressure in the eyes, while lifting. A bit of a stretch to say the least, but the above study takes the cake.

It's funny that testosterone replacement therapy is being looked at as a way to ward off Alzhiemer's. I have printed out several studies (in an attempt to sway my father's opinion about using Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) himself) that illustrate how declining test levels make way for an enzyme that is otherwise klept in check by people with healthy test levels. This enzyme attacks the various synapsis in the brain, leading to the progression of Alzhiemer's.

Not enough is bad and too much...might be bad. Just enough is well....just right.

I am not convinced of anything after reading the language used by this "scientist." I would certainly need to see the study for myself before making any sort of decision.

Let's make up our own study that says testosterone makes you smarter, taller, and enlarges the size of your penis. I bet we can make Yahoo news.

You got that right. People just need to read these so-called "research" reports with educated skepticism. Who wrote it? Why did they write it? Is someone with an agenda or some "war on drug" or some feminist "war on maleness" political think tank behind it? Does it fit with our current understanding?

Here is a "real" medical study showing the positive effects of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) on Alzheimer's patients:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=16344336&dopt=Abstract

Here's another one showing the positive effects of Testosterone on cognition and battling the debilitating effects of MS:
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=60920

Etc. Etc. So, you can find real research studies showing the positive effects of testosterone on the nervous system. Also, this study doesn't even begin to adress the fact that Testosterone in vivo converts to Estradiol via the aromatase enzyme and that bodybuilders (or what she refers to as "muscle bound guys" that's gotta show you where this is coming from!) cycle on and off testosterone with wash out periods, and also use other anabolic agents such as progestin based Nandralone or increasing phosphocreatine synthesis Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) such as Oxandralone.

Honestly, if it stinks like sound bite spin, it probably is.

LiftTillIDie said:
Let's make up our own study that says testosterone makes you smarter, taller, and enlarges the size of your penis. I bet we can make Yahoo news.

Last edited:
Uhh

Ugh.....ugh....ugh. ..yeah....ugh....well I...ughh
Hmm?...Ugh...yeah
Never mind man, ugh I forgot what I was thinkin :insane2:

I just did an OVID search for this article and all OVID brings up is the July journal and everything before it. I will continue to check and will post it if I happen to get to it beofre anyone else does.

bigdaddy22 said:
I just did an OVID search for this article and all OVID brings up is the July journal and everything before it. I will continue to check and will post it if I happen to get to it beofre anyone else does.

Thanks.

Should be good for a laugh.

"We were surprised, but it actually looks like estrogen is neuroprotective. If anything, there is less cell death in the presence of estrogen," she said.

==============================================
what about the extra estrogen that takeing test can cause , does it counteract the test damage ?

"We can show that when you have high levels of steroids, you have high testosterone and that can destroy the nerve cells. We know that when you lose brain cells you lose function."
================================================
they obviouslyy havent checked the blood levels of a person doing a deca or tren only cycle lol .

Last edited:
I dont buy this, just sounds like more anti-steroid propaganda...not like there isnt enough as it is

needsize said:
I dont buy this, just sounds like more anti-steroid propaganda...not like there isnt enough as it is

I agree. It's like they made the conclusions beforehand, and set up testing to try and support it.

Back