Training on-cycle vs off-cycle

StopDisbelievin

Newcomer here. So what are your suggestions on how to train immediately AFTER a cycle? I plan to go at it pretty hard while on, and I'm thinking that I'll just scale back the weight/reps rather than the schedule (six workouts per week). Is this a misguided approach? How would you guys make the transition to keep as many of your gains as possible and avoid injury following the cycle?

I agree with the less volume post-cycle approach, especially as I've gotten older.

Some people like yourself want to hit the gym 6 days per week and have legit reasons for doing that--works off stress, keeps your mind balanced, the hot chicks on the cardio equipment, whatever.

In my view, those are good reasons to go almost every day, so if that your preference then I'd cut weight and/or reps and maybe even working sets.

Fact is, you won't be as strong post-cycle so this'll probably happen naturally anyway.

Good question, though.

You don't want to hurt yourself, nor do you just want to go through the motions.

Training sucks off cycle. I could never get motivated to train off cycle after being introduced to aas.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Good luck!

Honestly, I'm a little worried about the psychological aspect of it myself, but I'm hoping that the gains I make on-cycle will give me enough of an incentive to keep at it even after the surplus strength chemicals in me are gone.

Anon44,

I TOTALLY hear you.

It's been the subject of a lot of recent discussion among me and my friends in recent months.

I don't think we want to be "on" year round, though.

To the extent that the popular press makes claims of dependency, it's around this particular topic where sometimes I think they might have a point (although not the argument they're actually making).

:(

I traine off cycle to keep it all nice and stiff, and like it was stated above there is always something you can train at the gym each day.

I would train as hard as I could in the gym off cycle and go by how sore I felt. Basically I would lower the weights or reps when I needed to but I would still train as hard as safely possible. Supplements and a good diet are extremely important when off cycle to obviously.

being a man is all about eating red meat lifting heavy shit all day and turning peoples skull into mashed potatoes

Off cycle I do my best to maintain as hard as I can. The only difference I make is to allow MORE recovery / rest time. It is a challenge once used to cycling to keep the training as hard and mindset up. Stamina goes down but ergo more rest time to maintain.

Everyone is so concerned about holding their gains and so one must understand and see the LMM gains different from the water , glycogen, lactic acid, fatty tissue , all as we bulk and such the like. Once a person can understand what true gains they have made, not water and such it makes it easier to train properly and with the intensity keeping it up as one can to keep the LMM gains.

Yes as Anon said it is a bitch for us frequent cyclers to maintain the drive n psych after cycle. BUT even after cycle we CAN hold on. AS Arnold taught the mind is so much the obstacle. Control the mind and to continue to hold the gains. Get a partner also will do wonders.

Good luck to all post cycle.....

PS: note being a man has NOTHING to do with it, old school there ! the women BB's have to do the same.

Last edited:
In truth, I wouldnt change my training from on cycle to off cycle, if I have lost Strength, then I will continue to lift heavy, or bring in more volume. The mind is a powerful thing. One must start there first. Think positive. It helps to have a set of goals off cycle as well to stay focused, this will give you purpose while you are off cycle. Your absolute main concern should be to hold as much muscle as you can while increasing strength. I have heard of some guys running Test/Primo for there cycle, and when they come off AAS (time on = time off), to use that time to switch to bulking. The point is to set goals. Focus Focus, and listen to your body

I couldn't agree more with Mike on this one. And yes training off cycle or even on TRT dose derfinantly takes a high degree of mind over matter. Talk yourself into it then talk yourself through it. Enjoy the mindfuck;-)

being a man is all about eating red meat lifting heavy shit all day and turning peoples skull into mashed potatoes

Gill, dammit , again I call you out on making just stupid posts. Yes we joke from time to time on here and that's a cool thing about this forum... I love it.

Many of us have gotten to know each other and are somewhat friends ergo the joking back n forth, BUT most of the time the jokes have some context.... Gill you are constantly just jumping in and spouting ridiculous meaningless off the wall remarks.

This is IMOP but I don't think I am alone in telling you it is not good. With respect at this point I am gonna ask you to please refrain from these type of meaningless posts.

No offense meant... AND if this post and comment to you is out of line I'm sure Admin will real me back in !

OMM

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with Mike on this one. And yes training off cycle or even on TRT dose derfinantly takes a high degree of mind over matter. Talk yourself into it then talk yourself through it. Enjoy the mindfuck;-)

its all about will power and just doing it, period.
lots of people these days take pills to get that will power but a person is way better off to use their own.

Back