Trouble with polysorbate 80 test suspension

bmays

I assume it is essential ps80 is added to the dry powder first to get a good coating, then water added. Works good until i autoclave, powder crashes out and water turns slightly brownish and won't form a good emulsion anymore and settles quickly. The PS80 is burning or boiling? Maybe i should add a vent in the vial when autoclaving?

I have never put Polysorbate into an autoclave so I don't know how much help I will be. However, when adding polysorbate to water I have noticed that letting the mixture sit for about an hour with gradual aggitation over every 15-20 minutes allows it to become more homogenous. It is possible that it is burning. What test are you using (soy/yam) and what autoclave settings are you using?
Venting the vial would make it pointless to autoclave it, it would not be sterile if vented, also water in the vial could evaporate through the needle.
I would recommend using Cottonsead oil or Grapeseed oil for a testosterone no ester suspension. However you would need to use a convection oven with an oil as an autoclave can not pressurize it properly.

The testosterone base was made from testosterone enanthate with an NaOH methanol solution and purified to give clean white powder with a neutral ph, melting point checks out. Autoclave is a stove top pressure cooker. First test was 15psi for 30mins, second test was 5psi for 15mins. Both tests turned out the same. Unfortunately i see autoclaving as necessary because my ball mill is not sterile and i cannot filter after its milled. Stuff flows though a 31g at 200mg/ml and does not hurt at all sub-q until 2 days later which i am guessing is due to clumping or burnt ps80.

Back