vaccuum filtration check list

bag1980

ok so im new to the vaccuum filtration method just had a few questions, im i forgeting anything, vaccuum filter,pump oil, filter unit and filter hose, i will be filtering oil based with a pvdf membrane .22 filter and as far as the vaccuum pump i have a choice between 1.5cfm or 3cfm which would be better ,again im new at this so i dont know if more cfm is a good or bad thing, thoughts please

The amount of CFM you can use will be limited by your PVDF membrane filter, and your filter unit. Check your technical information. Also, the filters can only withstand temps of about 150F on average. I've found that 1.0 cfm is more than enough.

Here's a good timing breakdown:

1000ml Test Prop, filtered using a 1.0cfm pump, all glass filter unit, 90mm pvdf filter.... 20 minutes! 90mm is KEY, and you'll only need 1 filter for the whole 1000ml. I've found the cost all to be relative. You'd go through 2, 45mm filters, changing mid filter is not fun. I

The amount of CFM you can use will be limited by your PVDF membrane filter, and your filter unit. Check your technical information. Also, the filters can only withstand temps of about 150F on average. I've found that 1.0 cfm is more than enough.

Here's a good timing breakdown:

1000ml Test Prop, filtered using a 1.0cfm pump, all glass filter unit, 90mm pvdf filter.... 20 minutes! 90mm is KEY, and you'll only need 1 filter for the whole 1000ml. I've found the cost all to be relative. You'd go through 2, 45mm filters, changing mid filter is not fun. I

ok cool but you lost me a little bro, i was planning on using millipore 150ml complete filter unit sterile pvdf mem 0.22 pore size any thoughts on that

ok cool but you lost me a little bro, i was planning on using millipore 150ml complete filter unit sterile pvdf mem 0.22 pore size any thoughts on that

Thats a small batch for going with an electric pump. Are you in this for the long haul? If not, I would just get a hand pump. Do hou have a gage? Are you using a plastic bottle for your finished product? If so, you need to keep it below 10inches of vacuum or you may crack/colapse your bottle.

Thats a small batch for going with an electric pump. Are you in this for the long haul? If not, I would just get a hand pump. Do hou have a gage? Are you using a plastic bottle for your finished product? If so, you need to keep it below 10inches of vacuum or you may crack/colapse your bottle.

Agreed, if this is a short term or one-time thing, hand filter will be fine, specially with only 150ml. I'm highly against all-in-one filter units. You can put pure, filtered olive oil, in these, and watch, sometimes the "cracks" can start before the product is even filtering. You can call up millipore, there really nice, educated people. Just tell them you're small amounts of olive oil, and they'll let you know exactly what you should use. I had previous post on this:

steroidology.com/forum/chemical-study/641028-nagene-nylon-fitler-issues.html

ok so hand pump better for smaller quanities ,ok what do i need in all then ,i have no gauge or anything like that like i said im new at this ,only have expeience with syringe filters and im tired of them ,i wanted to do different oils in 150ml increments, so i might do 150mls of three different oils so 450mls total ,i need all the advice i can get, what do you guys think

ok so i found a hand pump with pressure gauge now what the hell is the gauge for, someone help before i blow myself up lol

lol cool, does anyone have a ballpark of how long it should take to filter 150mls with millipore stericup .22 pvdf filter using a hand pump

The gage just helps you see if you have a good seal. Also, the more vacuum you have, the faster you will filter your solution. Its really hard to say how long it will take. It depends on what carrier you are using, what temperature it is, etc. If you have no leaks, and I try to filter at 100 degrees. I will guess and say 10 minutes.

Yeah....if you can get up there. Once you get it pretty high, you should be able to walk away for a bit,....then come back, and pump some more. I can't imagine 150ml taking that long.

thank you guys you been a great help, just one more newbie question, someone mentioned if you have the complete filter unit i have to keep it 10 inches away or il crack the unit, is that still the case with hand pump ,and with vaccuum pump you have to put a small drops of water on the filter paper before you use it, do i still need the drops of water on filter paper with hand pump as well

btw i think the drops of cold water on filter paper is just to set the paper before you turn on vaccuum, correct

If you're using an all-in-one filter unit, then you can't change the filter, and there's no reason to "set" it. It's fixed in place. Also, no 10 rule, you can keep it as close/far away as you want. The vacuum power is either within the tech specs of your filter unit....or it isn't. Hand Pump = no problem.

Last edited:
Back