Weight (fat) loss problem.

Baldur2630

I hope that somewhere out there, someone can throw some light on this problem.

My wife is 55 years old. We workout with free weights at our local gym, 4 days per week. We both push ourselves to the limit we started at the gym last year October. We use a computer program called Fitness Assistant to track our calories burned. We weigh all our food to the nearest gram.

When I started, I weighed 137 kgs. We both ran a diet of chicken breast, fish, steak and liver. We dropped sugar and tried to keep saturated fat way down. I'm 1.95m tall and my wife is 1.63m. She weighed almost 90 kg. by 1 March this year, I had got my weight down to 100 kgs, and changed my diet to increase lean body mass (from a clorie deficit of 1500 per day to a calorie surplus of around 200 per day.

Because of the size and weight difference, my Missus couldn't drop so many calories, but she was eating a deficit of around 500 calories per day. By February, her weight was down to 75 kgs and she only has 10 kgs to go.

Now here comes the strange part. Since February, she has only managed to lose just over ONE kg. no matter how many calories she burns in the gym and no matter what she eats, her weight doesn't move.

Over here we have VERY unhelpful doctors. She asked for blood tests, but the doctor refuses to check testosterone, (that's only for men, he says). Likewise he won't get my estradiol level checked (that's only for women)

My testosterone is 412, but the doctors say "it's perfectly OK for someone your age". I told him that I haven't had an erection in almost 2 years and the comment was "why would you want an erection at your age?"

My wife's bloodwork, he says is perfectly normal, in spite of the fact she just cannot lose any more weight or belly fat.

Her thyroid function is in the range, she thinks that it might be to do with testosterone from what she has read, because she finished menopause a year ago.

Now, she is getting more tired, she took a break, but her maximum weights keep dropping she was squatting 135 kgs, but since Fubruary she is struggling with 110 kgs and all her other weights are dropping. We've tried more food, more cardio, less reps, more reps, but nothing is working and she is getting very disheartened.

It won't help telling her to see a doctor, this country is super conservative and they are all the same. So far I've tried four different ones, but they just aren't interested.

Anyone got any helpful ideas (not doctor dependent)? Getting steroids here is VERY difficult. Our Customs are paranoid and getting ANYTHING even remotely medical or even herbal from outside the EU is impossible.

EATEN - 1167
RMR - 1392
PAL - 583
TDEE - 2091
CALORIE DEFICIT - 925

The figures are the average from 1 Feb 2014 to Today.

Last edited:
RMR - 1392
PAL - 583
TDEE - 2091
CALORIE DEFICIT - 595

The figures are the average from 1 Feb 2014 to Today.

can you give me the exact macro split??

and how did you get that rmr?? what formula was used??

also.. what did her workout and cardio routine look like? be specific

The RMR was calculated by Fitness Assistant (best program that I've found and I'm a retired computer engineer / programmer) I use the same software and its spot on for me and a couple of the guys in our gym who have bought it.

1.6 gms Protein per kg
20% Fat
39% Carbs

We change the routines every 8 weeks. Current is : -
Bench press
Squats
Dumbbell Flyes
Leg extensions
Leg press
T-Bar
Lat Pulldowns
Seated Rowing

That's Mon & Wed. Monday we do reverse pyramid Warm up 1-3, 3 , 5, 8. Wed 4 sets of 10 T around 75% of 1RM

Cable shoulder extensions and Laterals, Supersets
Seated Military Press,
Kneeling Cable Crunch
Bosuns Chair
Preacher Curls
Cable Curls,
Triceps Extensions
Wrist curls Palm down & Palm up.

Apart from abs, same structure as Mon & Wed, except we do arms and shoulders on Tue & Fri.

We live in "Cyclist Paradise, so we cycle on average once per week for between 16 and 20 Km's. My wife burns around 500 cals (we have HR Monitors). I usually do 1000 or more. I have a racing bike and I'm a lot better cyclist than my Missus

how long did it take your wife to go down the 15kg??

did you have any "cheat days" or refeed days?? at any point did she take time off from exercise, like about 5-7 days? how long ago if so?

Yes, we had a week off at Christmas. Then we had another week off in April and another week off in July. We usually go to visit friends in South Germany or in the UK

please answer the rest of the questions.. thanks!

Sorry, I missed the first bit. From 1 October 2013 to 1 February 2014, she lost weight down to 75 kgs. She was losing weight more or less in line with the computer program's estimated loss.

What doesn't get put onto the computer is the fact that she does a Baking course every week for 4 hrs at the local college, she also works quite a lot in the garden. The only two things that have changed since February is the weather, from winter to so-called summer (certainly NOT what I would call Summer) and the fact that we have cut down on the fish and replaced it with chicken breast. reason : we have a coal stove and we use that to cook fish (not fried - no oil) but it doesn't work so well with cooking chicken (takes too long) so we use the electric stove in the summer.

I'm pretty sure it isn't over-training. She can sleep as soon as her head hits the pillow (always has). When she comes back from the baking course, she usually brings some pastries so on those days we eat our full calories and we go out for a steak from time to time and go over the calories, but not more than once a month (pension doesn't run to expensive things!). I'm pretty sure she isn't in starvation mode.

If she increases her calories deficit any higher than what it is, she WILL be starving!

She tried eating less, but after a few days, she was aching and too tired. we tried pushing the calories up, in case her body thought it was starving but that had only one effect - aftter 2 weeks she had gained over a kilo!

We are both fairly sure that this is something to do with hormones, but as I said earlier, doctors here are ZERO help.

I have a different problem. I can lose weight easily. I'll get to my problem once we have sorted my wife. Her need is greater than mine at present.

Can't believe the doc wont check her T levels, how absurd. What business is it for the doctor to say that. What state do you live in? I say off with those doctors heads (you know which heads I'm talking about) for saying that to you about your erections, or lack thereof. 3J is asking great questions listen to him.

Her hormones are clearly downregulated due to the length of her dieting.

If she has been dieting for a year (from Oct 2013) then a week off here & there isn't sufficient to upregualte anything.
Usually she would need to take 2 weeks off to eat at maintenance for every 12 weeks of dieting based on her caloric deficit, which is around 45%.

Now, because the length of the on-off dieting has far exceeded the 3 month span, I recommend she takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks off to eat at maintenance while keeping her activity levels the same - NO extra cardio!
There is absolutely no point in increasing the size of the deficit because, although she will lose more fat, over the long term you'll be setting yourself up for failure due to the hormonal changes that have occured - crashed leptin, crashed thyroid, metab-olic adaptations, etc.

Adding a bunch of drugs into the equation wont solve her problems, she needs to stay at maintenance for 4-6 weeks (maybe longer), then recalculate her tdee & restart the diet.

Dont worry abouy any weight regain when she switches to maintenance - its simply water caused by elevated cortisol levels from the long term dieting. It will stabilize itself by the end of the maintenance period.

Last edited:
Her hormones are clearly downregulated due to the length of her dieting.

If she has been dieting for a year (from Oct 2013) then a week off here & there isn't sufficient to upregualte anything.
Usually she would need to take 2 weeks off to eat at maintenance for every 12 weeks of dieting based on her caloric deficit, which is around 45%.

Now, because the length of the on-off dieting has far exceeded the 3 month span, I recommend she takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks off to eat at maintenance while keeping her activity levels the same - NO extra cardio!
There is absolutely no point in increasing the size of the deficit because, although she will lose more fat, over the long term you'll be setting yourself up for failure due to the hormonal changes that have occured - crashed leptin, crashed thyroid, metab-olic adaptations, etc.

Adding a bunch of drugs into the equation wont solve her problems, she needs to stay at maintenance for 4-6 weeks (maybe longer), then recalculate her tdee & restart the diet.

Dont worry abouy any weight regain when she switches to maintenance - its simply water caused by elevated cortisol levels from the long term dieting. It will stabilize itself by the end of the maintenance period.
i was trying to rule that out... her age plays a major factor too..

i was trying to rule that out... her age plays a major factor too..

I took her age into consideration when considering menstrual cycle issues as well as the low test environment for women post menapause.

I think its very difficult to ignore the fact she's been dieting for a year with only 3 weeks off.
Combine this with the fact that she's a very active woman, which accelerates hormonal adaptations during dieting, and you have a major problem.

The only way to reverse the hormonal changes to get to maintenance for a sufficient period of time (4-6 weeks) with good carb intake.
IMO, taking a bunch of drugs (hrt, t3, etc) for a temporary hormonal change is not the right solution in her situation.

We don't have the full picture.. But with what we have been presented I would have to agree.. It should be though of taking two steps back to take 3 steps forward..
I took her age into consideration when considering menstrual cycle issues as well as the low test environment for women post menapause.

I think its very difficult to ignore the fact she's been dieting for a year with only 3 weeks off.
Combine this with the fact that she's a very active woman, which accelerates hormonal adaptations during dieting, and you have a major problem.

The only way to reverse the hormonal changes to get to maintenance for a sufficient period of time (4-6 weeks) with good carb intake.
IMO, taking a bunch of drugs (hrt, t3, etc) for a temporary hormonal change is not the right solution in her situation.

Can't believe the doc wont check her T levels, how absurd. What business is it for the doctor to say that. What state do you live in? I say off with those doctors heads (you know which heads I'm talking about) for saying that to you about your erections, or lack thereof. 3J is asking great questions listen to him.

We don't live in a State, we live in Belgium. You know, capital is BRUSSEL, where the EU has nothing better to do than make up ridiculous laws, for example outlawing the manufacture of vacuum cleaners over 1600 Watt (the ones which actually work!) Europe-wide.

Belgium has more red-tape than any other country on this planet, and most of the time we don't even have a government, because they can't even agree enough to make a coalition and the Party with the most votes get sidelined.

We have agreed to try that for the next 6 to 8 weeks. I know she will get a sudden weight gain, because when I came off my fat-losing diet and went to a LBM gain. I picked up almost 3 kgs in the first week.

Let's hope this works. I'll get back after we have made this trial. I'll post my own problem in a new thread. Thanks for all your advice. It makes sense.

Back