Weight gain from anti depressant

anzel

So my super physically fit wife who had muscular arms big strong quads and ass and thin waist gave birth to our daughter. For a year she breast fed. She stayed thin and was feeling healthy. Her physique did change tho. Less muscular arms. No more veins.
After breast feeding her hoRM ones crashed and she hit post part um depression. She was put on anti depressant and she is now 16 lbs heavier. Mostly stomach fat. She still looks good as hell tho! But she is unhappy.
Also her thyroid panel is normal low side and she has a nodual on her thyroid. From everything I read women with nodules often have low thyroid output. Her Dr says she is OK tho. But we all know how blood tests work.
So when she was breast feeding she was using up all those extra calories and now she isn't and anti depressant do cause weight gain.

I was talking to her about using t3 to see if she c.an speed up her metabolism.
She eats healthy works out. Blood work is good.
It looks like she will be on anti depressant for a while.
Any insight would be great. Thanks ladies

Get her off those depression pills asap. Post-partum depression is as common as breathing air and has been since the start of mankind. It has happened to many mothers in this world and before all these pills came up to cure fake diseases mothers worldwide dealt with it just like it being part of nature. Dont throw more chemicals into the mix. Odds are that the downward spiral will continue.

True.
She has been trying. It's a real nightmare.
Just to give you a perspective of the seriousness.... after the breast feeding her hormones went bonkers. It was 9 months before we found out what it was. We just thought the new baby was causing us lack of sleep and stress which led to us fighting and almost getting a divorce! When we finally started seeking help and realized what was wrong and she went on the meds things got so much better. Normal.
I'm telling ya I was ready to walk out. The way she talked to me. The day I slipped and fell down the stairs and she didn't even care.... I was ready to move out.
So it was bad no I mean BAD.
I'm against anti depressant drugs likeep you and I agree with you but she needed them cause we were lost.
Idk if she can come off. When ever she tries it's right back to square one

being on anti depressants is bad enough, and breast feeding while on anti depressants is doming your child for failure in life. They make your body more dependent on them and is way more harmful that heroin/crack/meth ever was, they cannot and should not replace marital issues. Good luck and hopefully someone with more experience can chime in!

Many SSRI drugs have an adverse reaction with estradiol. The ONLY one that I know of that is commonly prescribed and operates in a different manner is wellbutrin - which is a dopamine agonist, much like caber/pramipexole.

Antidepressants are intended to be a temporary aid while a psychologist works with the person to help them work through their issues. I agree with Milton in that it's very common, but it can cause some serious issues for women to deal with mentally.

Sadly, many docs just prescribe a med, and "set it and forget it", without trying to actually help them through the root cause of the issue. My wife went through some depression, and it took about 5 sessions with a very skilled psychologist to help her understand and recognize how to work through it. As her husband, I really wanted to help, but unfortunately we're often just not qualified to do so - making things worse.

Hopefully things get better brother, it's not an easy situation to get the best of, but it's completely doable with the right help. ;)

My .02c :)

i would not have let her get on the anti-d's ... give it time and if anythign hormonal addition, be it thyroid or estro or test, depending on her blood work. docs are too quick (and stupid) to toss out ssri pills to any issue that leaves you feeling depressed, itS joke... fix the issue, not cover ti up with ssri IMO

Many SSRI drugs have an adverse reaction with estradiol. The ONLY one that I know of that is commonly prescribed and operates in a different manner is wellbutrin - which is a dopamine agonist, much like caber/pramipexole.

Antidepressants are intended to be a temporary aid while a psychologist works with the person to help them work through their issues. I agree with Milton in that it's very common, but it can cause some serious issues for women to deal with mentally.

Sadly, many docs just prescribe a med, and "set it and forget it", without trying to actually help them through the root cause of the issue. My wife went through some depression, and it took about 5 sessions with a very skilled psychologist to help her understand and recognize how to work through it. As her husband, I really wanted to help, but unfortunately we're often just not qualified to do so - making things worse.

Hopefully things get better brother, it's not an easy situation to get the best of, but it's completely doable with the right help. ;)

My .02c :)

agreed 100%
cognitive therapy is what will help most to fix issues, and keeping hormones in check ofcourse

Milton. She became depressed after the breast feeding. That's why her hormones went nuts. During feeding time her hormones were singing out with life. Once she stopped they went haywire. So she never breast fed while on anti depressant
Putting her on the drugs was the end game. She went 9 months without it. She is seeing a psychologist. And we go to a therapist together.
To get off the drug she has to ween off. When she hits a certain number she starts to slide off.
But she had to go on them , she didn't want to, I didn't want her too. Nessaccary evil.

Milton. She became depressed after the breast feeding. That's why her hormones went nuts. During feeding time her hormones were singing out with life. Once she stopped they went haywire. So she never breast fed while on anti depressant
Putting her on the drugs was the end game. She went 9 months without it. She is seeing a psychologist. And we go to a therapist together.
To get off the drug she has to ween off. When she hits a certain number she starts to slide off.
But she had to go on them , she didn't want to, I didn't want her too. Nessaccary evil.

oh ok my misunderstanding :)

Sounds like you're doing what you have to in this case. I do suggest looking into a dopamine based antidepressant though; while habit forming, I do (in my NON-MD) opinion think they're the least invasive of all treatment options while under the care of a psychologist as you're already doing.

Will do HW... Milton thanks for pointing out NOT adding more chems to the mix at this point.........

You guys do just as good of a job as the ladies do.... lol where are they? Weenie fest!

Last edited:
Will do HW... Milton thanks for pointing out NOT adding more chems to the mix at this point.........

You guys do just as good of a job as the ladies do.... lol where are they? Weenie fest!

You're funny anzel... weenie fest ! But this was a good thread and I hope others learn from it if they ever have this same issue. This issue is much different then my bi-polar depression. So good advice here ^^^

Back