First Time under TRT - Need some advice

ShaneA655

I am 37 male...good shape, workout 4-5 days a week.
I have done some blood work and the one thing that stood out was SHBG at 69 which is high, and free test at 10.00 which is pretty low. Total t is 869. E2 is 27

So one TRT place said they cant do anything because of total t is high. Next said I have issues and they can fix.

My symptoms for a few years have been the tired feeling, not a ton of sex drive as of late, bloating around stomach, and 10-15 weight gain and can't get it off despite diet and workout/cardio

What do you guys think?

ALso, can low free T and high SHBG cause stomach bloating/gas all the time or is it because of the slight weight gain?

hi, with a total test level of 800+ i highly recommend you reconsider doing trt.. why do it? youll just bring yourself to 800 again on the labs..

what we need to understand is why your shbg is so high, thats causing your free test to be low..

are you taking any prescription medication?

no, I took propecia but that deals with DHT. My total test needs to be unbound and lowered to get more free test/ Is that correct? Total test doesn't matter I wouldn't think. I need to free up that free test and lower shbg, can't TRT help with that and HCG?
E2 at 27 isn't super high but I believe I get some E symptoms being that high?

To Shane:
Your Total Test isn't the reason that you feel Tired, your Libido is Low, and you are Bloated.

It's your Low SHBG, which has your Free Test Bound to it, so it's Not Available to use.
You also most likely have High Cortisol Levels because of the Low SHBG, and this is causing the Bloating.
When Free Test is High, you get All the Quality of Life and Health Benefits that it provides.

Now you have to figure out exactly why your SHBG is High.
It could be Stress/Alcohol/Smoking/Overweight/Heavy Metals/Cirrhosis of the Liver or Hyperthyroidism.

I would get a Liver and Kidney Function Test, along with Liver Enzymes.
And a Thyroid TSH with Free T-4 and Free T-3.
This should tell you if there's anything going on with you Physically, that can be affecting your SHBG...................... JP
P.S.
Your E-2 isn't an Issue, the Optimum Level for your Age is 25.7
This is according to a Clinical Endocrinology Study done a few years back.

Are you currently taking any Prescription or OTC meds ?

Everything else came back ok. Cortisol is 15 am. You mean high shbg? You kept saying low? I don’t have low? My alt was slightly elevated at 7 over range. Otherwise nothing showed up on blood that would cause for concern? I used prohormones in past with zero pct use. I believe it’s caught up to me.

Do you still take Propecia? Do not be surprised or do not count out what taking this medication can do to your blood levels. I would get complete blood work done to include everything IE: Thyroid Panel , Cortisol , E2 sensitive assay, Testosterone Free and total, CBC, CMP, DHEA, Homocysteine, Lipid Panel, IGF-1 PSA, LH & FSH, SHBG.

Last edited:
have you taken anti biotic in the last 2 years?

I'm willing to bet your have high yeast issues. that is the cause of the bloat and low labido. I would also recommend abstaining from TRT at this time. the higher total test is linkable to the Propieca. Some L-arginine would we advised and then avoid sugar and work on balancing the gut bacteria. it will change your life.

Search up "finasteride high SHBG". You will see lots of posts where guys have high SHBG, normal estrogen, but are suffering high estrogen sides.

So basically getting that SHBG down would get rid of most of the sides, which feel like estrogen sides? I have all the blood work done, I am commenting on the things that came back abnormal per say. Thyroid is fine. I have no taken an antiobotic in forever. Not sure that is the case. How would I measure this yeast?

all my blood tests is fine. Lipid profile. liver. Thyroid. ..etc..

So SHBG is high, free test is low. Could It be just hormones. I mean I am trying to find an underlying issue as to why, but all blood work points to just not much free test. What could cause this in my case?

Did you search up finasteride high SHBG? There are a bunch of guys with the same thing you have, they postulate that the high SHBG binds up all the testosterone preferentially, and leaves the estrogen to play havoc. So you have high test, right on estrogen, but suffer high estrogen sides.

One thing I know lowers SHBG is human growth hormone, mine got quite low when I ran 3 IU/day for an extended period.

Also don't discount what DPR said about high yeast. Could explain the gut problems. To get rid of it you need to starve it of sugars and carbs. Could try going zero carb for a while, and also eat natural high fat yogurt & probiotics.

so basically getting SHBG down will allow myself to get back to form somewhat? I tried researching what you said and could not find much. Most of my symptoms are estrogen related, but my e2 blood work always comes back ok. If I am not on finasteride, I still seem to have the same effects. Maybe using it for so long has caused this.

I'm not sure why you can't find much. I typed in "finasteride high SHBG" in the two big search engine and the first page pops up several people reporting what you have. You may have to try a bit harder. For example the search engine that starts with a G, the #1, #3, and #5 hits, and there are lots more if you keep looking. There is also PFS (post finasteride syndrome), but I don't think you have this as those poor folks suffer a collapse in test production too.

And yes, I'm saying using that drug may have caused this, and yes I think the high SHBG is your issue. It explains why with great test and normal estrogen you have the symptoms you do.

I'm no doctor, so this theory may be total bunk. Try to do some research yourself.

Talked to doctor. Did all labs. Physical. All hormones. Basically shbg is really only thing going on. Otherwise healthy. Therefore danazol for 30 days then retest. That will give them a much clear prospective on actual hormones and test. If my test is still high, then no trt. However would one need to stay on danazol forever to keep
Shbg down or maybe just 30 days would possibly fix my issue for good ? Like I said I seem to have more estrogen sides. Bloating. Weight gain. Etc.

Back