Weight loss for a runner

trackster03

Hi,
I run track at an university and compete in the 800 meter run. I'm in the middle of my season and am looking to shed some pounds. I recently had a dexa and it said i have 11.2 BF%, which is too much. I want to lose fat and become more toned or cut. I weigh 158 and am 5'10. I lift 3 days a week, only upper body, and run (hard) intervals 4 times a week, with the other 3 being easy 6-9 miles and 1 day off. Adds up to 40-45 Miles per week.

I am going to start a diet.
Meal 1- 3 eggs w/ .5 C of Oatmeal w/ skim milk

Meal 2-Protein Shake- Whey protein w/ skim milk

Meal 3- Raw carrots and celery, Tuna and Cottage cheese
Practice

Meal 4- Fruit+ whey blended, and whole wheat bread w/ Natural PB.

Lifting

Meal 5-Chicken Breast, veggies, and .5 C rice

Meal 6- cottage cheese and fat free yogurt

I was also wondering if i should take a fat burner such as Hydroxycut or Lipo 6. I also drink plenty of water during the day and also during meals.

Let me know if this is a good diet and won't harm my running or racing at all. I will also substitute spaghetti in before race days. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i would add another shake or even 2 more . a fat burner might help as well but the shakes will help keep the protein levels up . IF aand i say IF you diet to strictly you can lose weight and have your body fat go up due to lean muscle loss . slow and steady wins the race so to speak lol .

whatch out a little bit with protein. to much is not very good for a runner. remember muscles need oxygen, fat doesn't. when i go best i endurance events ussually have at least one meal without any big protein sources.

Adding more shakes will also help keep your metabolism up, aiding in fat burning. I found big difference between eating 4-5 meals and 6-7 as far as weight loss.

As far was what Ecke said, I don't train for track so I don't know, but it sounds like you might have to choose between endurance and weightloss (performance vs. aesthetics) a little bit. I really don't see any loss is fat affecting your running negatively though, actually the fat just sits there doing nothing and although it requires no oxygen it weighs you down (slightly in your case).

ecke70 said:
whatch out a little bit with protein. to much is not very good for a runner. remember muscles need oxygen, fat doesn't. when i go best i endurance events ussually have at least one meal without any big protein sources.

he does the 800m kind of near a sprint so his energy capacity should differ to a endurance runner. Slightly anyways.

outlawtas2 said:
Adding more shakes will also help keep your metabolism up, aiding in fat burning. I found big difference between eating 4-5 meals and 6-7 as far as weight loss.

As far was what Ecke said, I don't train for track so I don't know, but it sounds like you might have to choose between endurance and weightloss (performance vs. aesthetics) a little bit. I really don't see any loss is fat affecting your running negatively though, actually the fat just sits there doing nothing and although it requires no oxygen it weighs you down (slightly in your case).

yea outlaw is right when cutting weight and training for track, your in a sport that depletes your energy stores the most and demands the most for its work capacity and the threshold for which you train cause anything in track is testing limits of the human body. You are technically still in a sprint race but your at the longest stretch of it compared to the 100, 200, rivalling the 400 which is pretty tough to run. You should try and lose weight to a certain point and then maintain and eat more carbs and your performance will go up again. Fat does have setbacks into your running mechanics cause the weight flies around and causes distruption to your mechanic (wont feel like your sprinting smoothly) think of excessive luggage on a small plane it will take off but it wont be as efficient looking from the outside the plane rises normally, if you are in the plane you will notice the turbulance(hypothetically speaking if you were to take off with lots of luggage and to take off an another flight with little luggage).

Back