What is the ideal bf %?

Seeing your abs is different for everyone - Its going to depend on where you hold most of your fat. I know some that can see their ab outline at 12% where others need to be at 8-9%.

In my opinion the ideal bodyfat would be around 6 - 8% for a male. Only the gentically gifted could stay at the 6% for long times. If you just want to look good for the ladies then shoot for about 8%.

8-12% is good enough.. most people are slobs anymore id guess the average male in the us is at about 20-25%

agreed. @ 8% most guys will look awesome. but I seem to kill muscle getting there.

Last edited:
I think I look and feel good at 8%, last summer I got down as low as 6% but I felt weak and had flu-like symptoms-I got to hand it to those bodybuilders who cut below 6% because that is really difficult and painful.

huskyguy said:
I think I look and feel good at 8%, last summer I got down as low as 6% but I felt weak and had flu-like symptoms-I got to hand it to those bodybuilders who cut below 6% because that is really difficult and painful.

I agree, I got down to about 5.5% or so, maybe a little less and while I didn't feel like crap, I felt a tad weaker in the weight room, had less stamina while doing cardio and just got tired faster in general. I play indoor soccer very competitively and I actually felt that I performed my best and felt best between 7% and 9%. of course the % where abs show up and the extent to wich they show is different for everyone but a general rule of thumb is about 10% to see some abs. Keep in mind that your average somewhat fit american male between 18 and 32 years of age is somewhere around 19% Bf. I know most of us here don't bust our arses in the gym to be "average".

BiggerthanLavar,

Seriously man, you are a bigger inspiration than anyone on this site. There are a ton of dudes here who were born with great physiques and have opinions on all sorts of shit and they really don't know what the hell they are talking about. Your opinion is worth ten times more than theirs to me, because you actually struggled to get where you are.

I only say all these things because I hate to second guess your statements, but you said you got down to 5.5%... Are you sure? thats like veins lookin like they are going to tear through your skin. Thats about as lean as you can get without dying. Don't get me wrong, I have seen your pics and for a natural you are awesome, but that 5.5 you were at was probably more like 10.

I agree that Lavar looked more like 8 -9, none the less a GREAT transformation.

I will say this - Bodyfat does not mean Veiny. Flex Wheeler is a great example of this. Barely had any visible veins where someone like Paul Dillet had tons.

Also in terms of BF lows. If your using a skin caliper you can get down to 3 - 4% but not for very long. That being said a legit 5.5 isn't impossible to maintain but hard for most.

Golgo13 said:
BiggerthanLavar,

Seriously man, you are a bigger inspiration than anyone on this site. There are a ton of dudes here who were born with great physiques and have opinions on all sorts of shit and they really don't know what the hell they are talking about. Your opinion is worth ten times more than theirs to me, because you actually struggled to get where you are.

I only say all these things because I hate to second guess your statements, but you said you got down to 5.5%... Are you sure? thats like veins lookin like they are going to tear through your skin. Thats about as lean as you can get without dying. Don't get me wrong, I have seen your pics and for a natural you are awesome, but that 5.5 you were at was probably more like 10.

Dirk/Golgo- Thanks for the props!!! yea not sure if I was a *legit* 5.5% ever but I was measuring consistently with a BF caliper. I was downright scientific with it. I measured 10 times at the same time every day for a week. Then I averaged the 70 measurements and got my bodyfat for that week. I guess it's all subjective. I've seen two people look different from eachother and both were at 7%. That being said, I was probably 6-7% at my leanest. Unfortunately, I don't have that picture of hen I was at my leanest. I'll tell you one thing, When I thought I was at 5.5% I felt weak.

Back