What is the ultimate filter set up for large volume

quasimodo01

Im talking for volumes above 1000ml, i currently use a peristaitic pump and the whatman polycap filters... is there a better system?

how big is the polycap bottle? I asked this question a whole ago and the general consensus seems to be a wide membrane filter with a high volume top bottle is the most efficient

the polycap to use is the whatman polycap tc75, pun through a pump you can filter 1000ml in about 30 min. Im looking to see what other options there are out there.

Unfortunately large volume setups are going to set you back big $$$. The types of filters and setups people you'll see people use on steroidology aren't meant for commercial production. What you're seeing here is laboratory analysis filtering setups. You're currently running 1000ml, even a small commerical system would do 100s of Liters per day. Furthermore, they integrate with serum/vial washers and filling/labeling stations . Cost analysis is the driving factor here.

There are some good cost affective ways to get 3000ml through a filter system for a much better $$ value then the polycap and also slightly faster.

**Note**

I wouldn't recommend the Polycap is made from polyethersulfone (PES) and is NOT compatible with Benzyl Alcohol. It's also not compatible with Benzyl Benzoate. It's also documented to produced micro-cracking in regards to oils. (Leads to larger cracking). This, I've personally experienced this. Maintaining Sterility has to be your #1 priority. Don't go though all the hard work and compromise your sterility at the end. Use PVDF filters.

Progear do you know what set ups are most common among major UGLs? I've been trying to contact some but had little success. You seem to know your stuff so I thought I'd ask.

I read pharmaceutical companies have large stainless filter housing with filter discs up to 20 inches and are resistant to BA and BB but I'm guessing most UGLs don't have that big of a set up. (Not trying to hijack this thread either, figured I would ask since its somewhat on topic)

The pharmaceutical Industry definitely uses pressure driven (Opposed to Vacuum Driven that you mostly see on steroidology) stainless steel filtering system. The largest I've seen is around the 13inch range. At this size, you actually don't buy "disc" anymore. You buy the filter in a roll. You can still buy this in the PVDF, so stay away from PES or PTFE. Filters get much more expensive as the size increases, and the increase in price isn't really relative to the increase in filter size. This is a good rule for filters that require you to get down to .22 or .45 micron. It's just not practical to filter large volumes down to such a precise level (in most cases). It's just not needed. Certain compounds DO have to meet these stringent requirements (Mostly Pharmaceutical Compounds), and in these cases, you're going to be looking at a multi-stage system. What happens here, it's the filters are set-up in tiered increments to start out at a much larger pore size. The end result is much less taxing on your end filter, and can save quite a bit of money. These multi-stage systems can involve a variety of filter sizes as well. As per pharmaceutical GMP requirements: Before packaging, there is yet another filter (inline) before the products enters the final product packaging.

The larger UGLs use a scaled down version of the system mentioned above. They'll max out around 142mm system, large enough to produce a sizable batch.

I've been at this a while, been on a few forums, and I've been in contact with a few Prominent UGLs. I'm amazed at how little some of these "operations" research anything. It's really quite scarry. That being said, some definitely DO know what they are doing. It's an unregulated industry driven by user feedback, everyone should keep this in mind. A bad batch can be VERY dangerous. That's the feedback you'll never hear. Ask your UGLs some questions...then ask some more.

This would be quite a long list if I started listing Manufacturers, links, and part numbers. Check out my previous post (Above) and look into some 142mm pressure driven options. When it comes to filtering speed should be the least of your worries. There's no reason to sit around while the filtering is taking place. You want to make sure that your apparatus is chemically resistant to the chemicals you're using. Use manufacturer Chemical Compatibility charts if you're unsure. Once you've done this, time is now less important, because your filter will hold up for long as you need it to. I said it earlier, but it's worth repeating. Pre- Filterer your solution with a larger pore sized filter of the same filter material!

In regards to speed. No manufacturer is going to be able to tell you how quickly an oil or particular solvent will pass through you filter. The filters speed specifications are base-lined with water and gas. Different hormone compounds are going to have drastically different filter speeds, but you can get a baseline from documenting an logging passed experiences. Here's an example:

Filters are measured by their Diameter is Millimeters. You can determine the total area by taking the radius of the filter, multiplying it by the radius again, the multiplying that by PIE [3.14] (can't do symbol in here). A 90mm filter breakdown would be this. Radius = 4.5cm x 4.5cm x 3.14 = 63.58 cm2 is your surface area.

One, 90mm PVDF Filter ($4) can handle 1000ml of 100mg/ml Testosterone Propionate in around 30 minutes

Using basic math based on the area calculations from earlier. One 142mm PVDF could do 2490ml in the same amount of time.

Back