Whey protein and cooking

kapaowow

Just a quick question. Do you think cooking with Whey powder decreases the protein value? Obviously adding it to cold shakes does no harm at all, but what about heating it up?

I have heard this myself.....
personally I find that even adding to to "too" hot of oats makes mine break down and go lumpy.. this is why I am skeptical of the new cooking wheys that they have out..

I always heat up my oats in milk first, to let them soak up the liquid. And then I pour cold milk in the porridge before mixing in the Whey powder. Im not too sure if it makes any differance, but I wouldnt like to think Im detroying precious protein?

I don't think heat does jack shit to Protein powder. I think it will work just as good if you add it to hot foods. All protein is denatured in your small intestine before it gets absorbed anyway, so who cares about a little heat.

'Who cares about a little heat'?
Sorry, but that wasnt really the answer I was looking for. However, I do care about getting the most out of my protein powder, or otherwise I wouldnt bother taking it.
Likewise, I do care about getting all of the vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables. I try to eat them raw or cook them as little as possible or otherwise the heat would destroy all the goodness and leave me with something non-beneficial and usaully tasteless.
So I will keep taking my Whey powder in cold foods as its proved itself to work, instead of just 'thinking' it might be OK to burn the hell out of it!
PS I havent seen any 'cooking Whey' sold over here in Spain? But it could prove my point if its specifically made for withstanding heat during cooking? Thanx Atherjen:wavey:

Back