100 things you should do before reaching black belt in bjj

My wife, when she received her black belt in Tai Chi, realized that the black belt was not the destination, but simply the beginning of Tai Chi. A black belt simply means you are no longer a beginner - but it also means you have a lot more to learn. It is that point where you realize what you do not know...she said that moment was somewhat frightening, realizing she knew almost nothing about Tai Chi.

Anytime you are doing something athletic, strength and conditioning is important. 3+ days 45 min of circuit training, Olympic lifts, and kettlebells. KB are AMAZING for bjj.

Good read! #29 aint gonna happen! lol
I trained with a local fight team for 2 years and picked up the basics of BJJ and absolutely loved it!
Got to meet Royce Gracie in Lebanon after a cage fight. Offered to buy him a drink but he declined with "no thanks, I'm a full time athlete"...lol...so my team and I toasted to (part time athletes)!

Still I'm having white belt. Bjj is all about techniques. I'm just a beginner. Bjj requires alots of strength to lift the another person, and all techniques that are mentioned above is correct to get black belt.

It usually takes about 10 years of training to become a black belt in BJJ. factors that determine belt promotion include:
  • Class Attendance
  • Competence
  • Ability
  • Moral Values
  • Train as often as possible
  • Take private lessons with a skilled instructor
  • Create a routine
  • Competing regularly
  • Have 3 combination attacks from the guard position
  • Have 3 submissions from Side Mount, Mount, and Back Mount
  • Focus on honing technique

Back