24 - advice on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) - test results

24 - advice on TRT - test results

Hey all – been reading a bunch on these forums but haven’t posted. Need some input , thanks in advance.

For the past year I've noticed a lot of the symptoms of low T and put it together that this could be causing some issues. I went to get tested and the results are below, not sure if testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is the right answer based on what I've read so looking for some input.

Background: Healthy 24 year old, I've been lifting for 7 years and have never been able to really put on mass. Eat very clean, will go through bulking “cycles” (never used any gear) of eating 5-6k clean calories per day with intense workouts 4 times a week, sleep 8+ hours a night, and still have minimal mass gain. Tried many different workouts, change frequently, I believe I have my lifts, diet, and sleep in check to have lots of growth and never happened.
I started having other symptoms of low T (libido completely gone, GF not happy about that), very lethargic, minor depression, etc.
I've been looking through some of the forums and the results don't point clearly one way or another.

First test was a bit over a month ago and came back 356 (241-827) ng/dL.
This is pretty low, especially for someone who puts emphasis on 8 hours of sleep, eating well, taking the right supplements to have high test, etc. Also it was early morning and should have been highest at that point of the day.

Went and got retested with more tests, overall test a bit higher but still low:
Test Total 443 (250-1100) ng/dL
Test Free 79.3 (35-155) pg/mL
Prolactin 4.8 (2.0-18.0) ng/mL
LH 2.7 (1.5-9.3)

Both tests were done in the morning.

I’m looking for some advice here. I’ve never used any form of steroids, have everything else in check that someone my age would naturally tweak to increase testosterone, but still have low t. I will meet with my doctor next week but I don’t think he knows much about testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). Also I’m a bit skeptical of starting a lifelong decision like that at this age. Also since the second test came back higher and put me more into the “normal” range (even though not for a 24 year old).

Worth it to look into testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), any advice on what I should ask for specifically either to try and restart natural production, or any other strategies to take?

This sounds interesting. I'm curious to see what other people think about this. I'm in a similar situation except i've used aas before.

Also as a note I lifted a couple of hours before the 443 ng/dl test results, which after reading more posts may have spiked it a bit higher than where it normally is. Could this cause the difference between the 356?
Thanks in advance for any help

Not sure if it would spike it that much. Im getting blood work next week and been taking clomid. I wonder if I should stop taking it in case my test shows up as higher than it should be from the clomid.

Also when you're talking to doctors about testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), a decision of whether he's going to start you on it should be based on how you feel and not whether your T is "in range" slightly. That's when you know you have a good dr that is knowledgeable on the subject

Also check out the thread on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) cons here. It's pretty informative from some people that are on TRT

So your T is about the level of the average 50 year old. Not a healthy one, an average one. No wonder you feel like shit.

Your T should be off the scale high, IMHO. That's where I'm comfortable. (I'm 61.)

My recommendation: Accept that your T is low and decide to replace it with exogenous T. Get a scrip for Test E and HCG, get your levels to the top end of the scale. And enjoy the sex.

Thanks for the responses. I assume good doctors would go by a combination of the numbers and how I feel rather than just seeing "normal" numbers and assuming everything is fine.
I'll talk to the doctor and see what he says. Is going through IMT better/easier than going through my primary care dr, or is it very rare for a primary care dr to put a young guy on TRT?
From everything I've read it sounds like most doctors don't know much about HRT.
Also does anyone know any good Endo's in NYC if that's what he says. Please PM me if you know any endos with experience in HRT.

You need to consider testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) but you need a doc that knows what the hell they are doing. You nay have n=more going on that is causing the low T.

Back