3x5 routine

thechango

hello, let me tell you first im a bit new in these low-middle volumes routines. as many, when i started i used to train a lot of days + poor nutrition everybody knows its similar to little progress.... so, besides that ive been doing bill starrs 5x5 (madcow variation) , i also tried the routine pullinbig posted in the deadlift thread (here :
http://www.steroidology.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30846&page=6&pp=25 )
really good routine, worked very well.
now... im planning to do a cycle soon ( already posted it here) so i came up with this routine, it keeps some things i liked from pullinbig routine , will add a little bit of volume and some stuff i like, i also read a lot about needsize 5x5 workout, but i think its way too much even when on cycle.
so, this is the idea:

1st day ( Legs )
Squat 3x5
legs extensions 2x10-8 (thinking of changing for leg press)
lying leg curls 2x10-8
calves (pick 1 ex.) 2x10-15

2nd day ( chest + biceps )
flat bench 3x5
inclined db press 2x10-8
cable crossover 2x10-8
barbell curl 3x8-10

3rd day rest

4th day (back)
deadlift 3x5
rows 2x10-8
pullups 2x10-8

5th day (shoulders + triceps)
military press 3x5
side raises 2x10-8
shrugs 2x10-8
triceps pushdowns 3x8-10

6th and 7th day of the week = rest

so... some more notes:
i think this is pretty close to what I think is my limit when talking about volume of workout. its not that im trying to draw a line between what is ok and what is too much but i believe this is the closest thing to it.
i think depending on your diet, rest, drug assistence, etc you should figure out what its the best for you . for me i THINK this is the most i can do, i will try and i will see that.
from here if u wanna cut down i think this is the order to do it if u want less volume:
-cut military work from 3x5 to 2x5
-cut all the lifts 3x5 down to 2x5 (all these are heavy working sets where u try to put weight every week )
-cut assistance work to 1 set of 10-8 instead of 2
-cut 1 of the assistance exercices on chest/shoulders
-cut the working days down to 3 ( u dont need to cut that much volume to be able to do it all in 3 days )
-get all together and do it in 2 days

well, thats all i think, i tried to wrote my thoughts on how much work should be done to grow.
that's all, i hope the most experienced people in the forum come and give their opinions.
thanks . good luck

That is a pretty solid split if you favor a "bodypart" type setup. I agree with you that a true 5x5 is too much. I think you are just right with the volume. Train with the progressive overload principle and you will succeed.

LiftTillIDie said:
That is a pretty solid split if you favor a "bodypart" type setup. I agree with you that a true 5x5 is too much. I think you are just right with the volume. Train with the progressive overload principle and you will succeed.

yes, you are right, the progressive overload give me the best gains, wheter im doing 2x5 3x5 or whatever , as long as i keep adding weight i keep growing.
cya

AngryMuscles said:
the thing is

what are u going to do when u get stuck on certain weight and can't seem to go further

same as always ... if i go back in weight and i cant go through the plateau i would change the set/reps to 3x3 , that would work i think. otherwise it would be a great time to start my 1st cycle wich im planning to start in july.
thankss for your help.cya

thechango said:
same as always ... if i go back in weight and i cant go through the plateau i would change the set/reps to 3x3 , that would work i think. otherwise it would be a great time to start my 1st cycle wich im planning to start in july.
thankss for your help.cya

Exactly. With steroids at your disposal, and advanced training techniques there is never much of a reason to hit plateaus. The stronger you get the slower the gains come but that's only logical.

LiftTillIDie said:

why would anyone think that needs 5X5 routine would be to much? Especially on cycle. On a cycle, your going to break plateaus anyhow, and pass sticking point...cycles are to enhance and progress..not maintain..

thechango: if you have already tried the other routines and they were good..why stop..you are going to do a cycle...you should look to progess..what is your cycle looking like? also, if you hit a stall point..drop you weight slightly and maintain the 5X5 principle...whay would you drop your set amount and maintain the same reps?

E

eastarr69 said:
why would anyone think that needs 5X5 routine would be to much? Especially on cycle. On a cycle, your going to break plateaus anyhow, and pass sticking point...cycles are to enhance and progress..not maintain..

thechango: if you have already tried the other routines and they were good..why stop..you are going to do a cycle...you should look to progess..what is your cycle looking like? also, if you hit a stall point..drop you weight slightly and maintain the 5X5 principle...whay would you drop your set amount and maintain the same reps?

E

Because a true 5x5 is essentially 5 work sets. I never need more than two work sets for any lift.

eastarr69 said:

E

hello... 1st...i didnt stop doing pullinbig routine , actually i will start a log soon on that routine, i posted this just to give an idea of something i came up with , i NEVER tried this routine, also posted this to give my thought of what is too much and what is OK for ME. in the routine im doing now i do 2x5 on big lifts and do some other work too, mostly what pullinbig posted in the deadlift sticky, maybe if i cant put more weight to the bar i start a cycle(test E 250mg/week, its posted in the roids forum) adding an extra set to the compound exercise (3x5 instead of 2x5) lets me use my biggest weights, if i do 5x5 clean or not i wont be able to lift so much , plus im allways fried after 2-3 HEAVY sets, thats what i think, and its been working for me while natural so should work while on cycle.
besides that i can spread the work in 4 days instead of 3 and add 1 or 2 sets of iso work for the big parts.
nowadays, my workout is sthing like this:

monday: legs
squat 2x5
leg pres or sometimes leg extension : 1x10-20
SLDL or ham raises: 2x10-20
calves 2x10-15
abs 2x20

wednesday: chest/tris/shoulders
flat bench (bb) 2x5
flat bench hammer grip db press 2 x 8-12 reps (i change this sometimes, i may add incline and take the military press out)
triceps pull downs 2x8-12
military (bb) 1x5
db side raises 1-2x10
shrugs 1x10 (i do 1xraises + 1xshrugs or just 2xraises

friday:
deadlift 2x5
bb row 2x4-8
pullups 2x8-10
bb curl 2x8-10
abs 2x20

thats all, i think is pretty much what i posted i the 1st post, u can add volume or cut a bit depending on how u feel , eating, drugs, etc. as long as u keep lifting more and more .
cyaa , thanks very much for ur reply

LiftTillIDie said:
Because a true 5x5 is essentially 5 work sets. I never need more than two work sets for any lift.

why would you never need any more work sets then what you are doing? your body will grow acustomed to doing the same workout..thats why yoou need to load and do more work sets...work sets are what they are..work sets to work the muscle..

e

thechango said:
hello... 1st...i didnt stop doing pullinbig routine , actually i will start a log soon on that routine, i posted this just to give an idea of something i came up with , i NEVER tried this routine, also posted this to give my thought of what is too much and what is OK for ME. in the routine im doing now i do 2x5 on big lifts and do some other work too, mostly what pullinbig posted in the deadlift sticky, maybe if i cant put more weight to the bar i start a cycle(test E 250mg/week, its posted in the roids forum) adding an extra set to the compound exercise (3x5 instead of 2x5) lets me use my biggest weights, if i do 5x5 clean or not i wont be able to lift so much , plus im allways fried after 2-3 HEAVY sets, thats what i think, and its been working for me while natural so should work while on cycle.
besides that i can spread the work in 4 days instead of 3 and add 1 or 2 sets of iso work for the big parts.
nowadays, my workout is sthing like this:

monday: legs
squat 2x5
leg pres or sometimes leg extension : 1x10-20
SLDL or ham raises: 2x10-20
calves 2x10-15
abs 2x20

wednesday: chest/tris/shoulders
flat bench (bb) 2x5
flat bench hammer grip db press 2 x 8-12 reps (i change this sometimes, i may add incline and take the military press out)
triceps pull downs 2x8-12
military (bb) 1x5
db side raises 1-2x10
shrugs 1x10 (i do 1xraises + 1xshrugs or just 2xraises

friday:
deadlift 2x5
bb row 2x4-8
pullups 2x8-10
bb curl 2x8-10
abs 2x20

thats all, i think is pretty much what i posted i the 1st post, u can add volume or cut a bit depending on how u feel , eating, drugs, etc. as long as u keep lifting more and more .
cyaa , thanks very much for ur reply

250 mg of test? you produce that naturally...i havent looked for the cycle post..but if thats all your doing...

...anyhow..and on a cycle you will find that you can maintain a good 5X5 program..you will want to do more to grow..and in my opinion, on cycle, you work for sstrength and powewr..the size will come with that..i believe if your on a cycle, you need to do more then what you have posted...to grow and be big..

E

eastarr69 said:
why would you never need any more work sets then what you are doing? your body will grow acustomed to doing the same workout..thats why yoou need to load and do more work sets...work sets are what they are..work sets to work the muscle..

e

i dont think the body gets acustomed to the number of sets or reps u do, if 2x5 is ok then keep doing it as long as u get bigger and stronger i dont see why u would need to change, wheter it is adding or cutting volume.
as for my cycle, im still researching , not sure if im gonna do a cycle, but i dont think i would need to double my work to get bigger while on cycle. i would probably keep it , the 3x5 routine i posted i think is ok for a cycle. thanks for your help.good luck

I have said this many times, until i got on the boards i knew tons of people who ran an amp a week of test and gained a lot of size and alot of strenght. So i guess the body does not produce that naturally. People who get true HRT, not the "hrt" that most are getting from Florida these days are on much less than 250mg a week.
As far as 5x5, 2x5, 3x5 or whatever, as long as you are getting stronger and bigger you are doing something right. I do 2x5 usually on my major lifts, the person with probably the biggest legs i have seen in my life usually does one working set. It is all individual.

eastarr69 said:

e

Because if you do true work sets you don't need more than two. If you're interested in my workout check out my cycle log. More work sets are not the answer.

Back