4 Day Family Excursion to see Family -Watching the Diet

lucius11

Novice
I took a long weekend to travel with the family. To my surprise, everyone commented on how great I looked. I had put on at least 20lbs of muscle since they last saw me and my bod fat is now under 15%. I guess it's not that surprising they noticed I looked different. Of course, we all know how this happened - exercise and more importantly - diet.

Soooo - watching the diet was tough since there is a lot of temptation. Some meals were OK. But several meals at the various family gatherings were just solid fat and carbs - no lean protein. They had things like tuna salad or egg salad (mostly mayo, you could just tell), noodle casserole (with cheese), bagels, full fat cream cheese, butter, chocolate cake, orange juice, apple juice. That was the whole meal - just a disaster. I watched my diabetic mother in-law slam down about 1500 calories of chocolate cake for brunch. You just can not tell people how to eat.

Since I had control of the car, on several different occasions over the weekend I simply got in the car and left. I slipped out to the local Kroger grocery store and picked up some 0% fat Greek yogurt, Chicken Caesar salad (which I eat w/little or no dressing), turkey breast - stuff like that. Thank god for Kroger. There were just no other options. I could not bring myself to slam down all that fat and carbs. Once I start with that stuff, I have trouble stopping.

We went to a "high fat/carb" restaurant and I had to supplement with a little Ezekiel bread and Greek yogurt since there were basically no good choices for lean protein and complex carbs. Everyone asked how I was able to get so lean. Hmmmm - I wonder what it was - could it be - my diet? They of course ask this as they go back for 3rds on the chocolate cake. It's just tough to watch.

In any event, it's good to be back home. I even got some workout time in as well. Not an easy task when traveling, but I'm happy with how things worked out. Sad to see that very few family members have any interest eating a healthy diet and/or working out.

Last edited:
That's honestly partly why I don't visit my family for extended periods of time. They all eat like complete shit and I don't want to seem like an obnoxious prick by being picky.

Congratz on the major challenge you've just incountered. I was with familly at the cottage every week end this summer, so i can really relate. Thank god for tupperware and pre-made lunches.

Cirrus

Yeah, it's a pain. We stocked the cooler with good food so I could control what I eat during the 7+ hour drive. We had a mini fridge in the hotel room so I could control the snacks over the weekend. We got the hotel staff to put our freezer blocks in their big freezer the night before we left. I stopped off at the Kroger one last time and stocked up on good food for the drive home. The wife was pretty cool about it. She does not like my diet, but she tolerates it (barely). Of course, she does like the way I look. For these family things I'm OK with a little cheating for one or two meals. Just not every single meal for 4 days in a row.

It's always good to have a plan. A spouse that supports you is very important too, even do it can be overwhelming for them. I find that if I include my wife in my cheat meals, she is more inclined to tolerate my diet. Exemple take her out to diner and spend quality time just the two of you enjoying a guilt free meal. You make her happy by taking her out and spending time with her and you get to have a cheat meal to gets your metabolism up and running again.

Cirrus

Back