42 years old and new to TRT

CPTWilly

Hi all,

I am 42 years old, 6 ft tall, 265 lbs. Back in my prime, I was very active and weighed 175. I got married, got out of the Army, and got a desk job. Over the years, I put on quite a few pounds just being sedentary and being able to come home to good cooking. I was always able to adjust diet and exercise and see some weight loss results, so I didn't worry about it and my weight slowly crept up to about 240 by 2008.

In January of 2008, I was robbed in an armed home invasion. Although my wife, son, and I came out of the robbery without physical injury (thank God), I suffered a lot of emotional/psychological trauma--carrying post traumatic stress symptoms for 4 months and other lingering symptoms for years afterward. Among those symptoms was a complete inability to lose weight. For the next 6 years, I would steadily gain until I hit 290 lbs. A friend at church encouraged me to have my hormone levels tested.

I finally went to the Dr. in 2014 and asked him to check my testosterone. Total T came back at 221 in September of 2014. I was resistant to trt because I had not researched it, so I hired a personal trainer and began to change my eating habits (but I never did give up cheeseburgers--which I believe to be my kryptonite). By December of 2014, my testosterone was up to 281, and I was feeling pretty good about my progress. Over the next year, I continued the same program and got my weight down to 275 lbs. I did not check my T again until December 2015, and to my sad surprise, it was 258. That is when I decided to go forward with TRT. My doc recommended that I try pellets. Although they are expensive, when you divide the cost over time, they are not too much more than the other options the doctor gave me, and they are extremely low maintenance.

I had quite a few pellets inserted in mid December. Insertion requires a minor outpatient surgery and I was sore for a few days. I was told that I should feel a difference in two weeks (by Christmas). For the first few days, I didn't notice anything. By the end of the first week, I found myself waking up about twice a night with firm, full erections. I had not suffered ED before, but the quality of my erections had declined. By the middle of the second week, I caught myself in the middle of some pretty dramatic mood swings (I am glad to say I was alone at the time). By week three, I noticed that I had more energy, and when I went to my trainer, I recovered from a heavy workout much faster. I had bloodwork drawn at 4 weeks and my testosterone is now 905.

I have now been on TRT for about 6 weeks. I have lost 11 lbs. My energy is up, my libido is up, and my mental clarity is up. I am seeing (and feeling) better results from my workouts. I have yet to experience any other side effects (acne, increased body hair, or testicle atrophy, etc) but I don't know when I should expect to see those things either.

I am excited about this new journey and I am happy to find a community of guys in similar situations where I can ask questions and get feedback.

Welcome!

Great story, 6 weeks is when things really started to happen for me too. Almost like magic.

Pellets aren't too popular around here, but I can see their advantages. When you did your blood test did your doc check estradiol? There's nothing inevitable about acne and I've found only a slight increase in body hair, but testicular atrophy will happen over time unless you counteract it with the use of HCG which you will read about in many threads here.

Not to pry into the home invasion, but I can only imagine how traumatic that can be - whether you end up as the victim or even if you prevail and shoot the intruder.

On my last blood test, Estradiol was 59. Doc is very conservative with his treatments. I am on DIM supplements until the next blood test in June.

And you are right about the home invasion. Either way it is a traumatic episode.

Back