Any one else on the Depo shot?

CaptainCrunch

I will give a bit of a background. First, I am using my boyfriend's account, just so you know I'm not a dude posting this stuff... We both compete in powerlifting and strongman. My best competition lifts are 500 squat, 275 bench and 375 deadlift. I have 6 world records and am the provincial open strongman champion. I'm 22 and have been lifting for about 7 years, but just started powerlifting a little over 2 years ago. I have always been the strongest girl in my class/on my team/etc so weight lifting came pretty natural. I have never done any steroids.

I have been on Depo-Provera (medroxy-progesterone) for 8 years now. I didn't feel any different until this last year.

I have noticed going in to the last two powerlifting meets that when I get close to being due for my shot (I take it every three months), I get really weak. I can't stay tight anywhere, so I go from being able to unrack and do a half squat with 705to almost losing the weight forward with 455 a couple weeks later. I also get very sensitive emotionally, like I almost start to tear up when my boyfriend tells me I have to pull it together or I'm done lifting for the day (this is definitely not normal at all).

I am wondering if anyone else notices these changes as well while on the shot? Does anyone take this stuff to help their lifting, not just for birth control? I have considered trying to get this stuff on the internet since I can't get extra from the drug store. Or getting something that acts in a similar way in the body. I'm not sure what that would be.

I asked my doctor what the best birth control was for not affecting my natural testosterone, and he said my best bet was just staying on the shot. I think Depo acts like progesterone but i'm not positive. I'm not really comfortable asking him too much more stuff like this.

Any advice is appreciated.

Back