Anyone have experience with getting off high blood pressure meds?

Ghost124

Hey guys. So in August I was officially diagnosed with hypertension(high blood pressure). The shitty part is I am 24 but the doctor told me it's hereditary. Most people in my family get it over the age of 40. I get it because I have high levels of stress because I own 2 businesses so I am stressed 90% of the time. Working out defiantly helps. When I was working out everyday I would be about 128/80 through the day. However I got gyno surgery on Dec 17th. As a result I did not exercise for 7 weeks. Yes you read that right, 7 weeks. My business got busier so I was using the gyno thing as an excuse to skip the gym and get more work done.

My "work" consists of being in front of a computer in my office for 10-12 hours a day. In other words on my ass and not moving at all. 1 week after my surgery my BP starter to skyrocket. I knew it was because I was stressing and sitting all damn day with no exercise(should of at least taken a 30 min daily walk or something..fucken stupid of me).

ANYWAYS:
Since August I only took my medicine(25mg Atenelol) MAYBE once a week when my BP would go over 135. And ironically that 1 day a week was usually my rest day from the gym. However ever since the second week of my surgery I have been taking my BP meds every single day. Also I should note that the meds keep my heart rate at 55 through the day. So Saturday(2 days ago) was my last time taking the meds. Today was my official first day back into the gym. The doctor told me I still cannot lift heavy for two more weeks at least(he removed a shit load of tissue from me, so I do not get the standard 4-5 weeks and you're cleared to lift) so I came into the gym wanting to do cardio and repetition.

Well all I have to say is holy shit I did not realize the kind of damage you do to yourself when you do not exercise at all for 7 weeks straight. SO I come into the gym and I get on the tredmill and do an inclined speed walk. Within 4 min I got some mild chest pains. I had to slow down to 1mph for about 30 seconds for the pains to go away. I pretty much did 3 min speed walk and 30 sec slow walk for 15 min. The chest pains kept coming every 3 min or so and would go away after the 30 seconds of speed walk. After 15 min I was huffing and puffing and felt like my heart was going to blow up. Could not keep going. And right now I have a racing heart rate of 95 and the exercise was 2 hours ago. It feels unpleasant as fuck.

I THINK it may be the fact that I had a steady heart rate of 55 for the past 7 weeks with no exercise and the fact that I stopped cold turkey and started cranking my heart rate up.

I need your guys' input on this. I know a lot of you vets here on Ology have deep experience with BP meds. I am just curious, is what I am going through normal? Any blood work I should get?
And also do you guys feel like I should just "suck it up" and try to bang out a 45 min gym session tomorrow? I wanted to keep going today after 15 min but my chest just felt like it was going to explode.

It takes time for your body to readjust. I'm surprised you were put on a bp med at not only such a young age, but with a fairly healthy pressure. If I had to pick one thing that truly helps, it's fish oil.

I personally cannot come off the bp meds as mine also helps prevent kidney issues that come with diabetes, but my wife came completely off hers by simply supplementing with fish oil at 2g per day. This of course is NOT medical advice, but certainly something you can look into.

Your heart rate can easily venture into 220-age to find your max. 85% of that value is great for sustainable exercise in a LISS (low intensity steady state) environment like walking on the treadmill.

My .02c :)

I'm on 100mgs of atenelol a day I started at 25mgs when I was 18 my blood pressure is also hereditary. I recommend you go talk to your doctor about the problems you are experiencing with the chest pains. You definetely should consult with him before abruptly stopping any BP medication.

Your health is up to you. Doctors are pill pushers. Check your bp daily and keep track of it. When you see your doctor show him or her where your bp is at over the time between your appointments, otherwise they don't know, and most likely they don't care.

Those bastards had me on 100 mg of metoprolol and 20 mg of lisinopril. I would pass out getting out of a chair I was so over medicated. 4 months ago I stopped taking all of that shit. I feel better now than I have for 3 years since those buffoons put me on all that crap.

I have my workouts up to 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours and life is good. If you are on a cycle count on your bp being off. Use your AI to keep e2 and bp down, but when you go off cycle you will most likely not need meds.

Like I said, you be responsible for tracking your bp morning and night.

Your health is up to you. Doctors are pill pushers. Check your bp daily and keep track of it. When you see your doctor show him or her where your bp is at over the time between your appointments, otherwise they don't know, and most likely they don't care.

Those bastards had me on 100 mg of metoprolol and 20 mg of lisinopril. I would pass out getting out of a chair I was so over medicated. 4 months ago I stopped taking all of that shit. I feel better now than I have for 3 years since those buffoons put me on all that crap.

I have my workouts up to 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours and life is good. If you are on a cycle count on your bp being off. Use your AI to keep e2 and bp down, but when you go off cycle you will most likely not need meds.

Like I said, you be responsible for tracking your bp morning and night.

So you quit cold turkey? Did you have initial symptoms from stopping?

Also thanks for the responces half wit and mad scientist. I think what I will do is take 12.5mg ED this week to help me wean off of this crap. I read online that cutting dosages in half for a week is best way to get off

Increase patasium 200mg a day it will help you drop any water weight. Check your estrogen levels and loose some weight. High bp should always be taken seriously.

You shouldnt quit the meds till you canget the bp down to the high 120 /67
Ish .

also check into magnesium oil. It's one of the minerals that regulate heart function. It's not wise to stop any bp meds cold turkey. If when you're tracking yur bp and it's even little on the low side of normal you can try halving yur pills for period while you continue to track your bp. If it continues to stay close to that as you exercise then try coming off completely. If bp climbs higher than 145/95 for more than day I'd resume the half meds again.
Since my OHS in 2012, I've been on carvediol to slow my hr and make it beat stronger. The issue I have is when I exert myself, my hr won't increase enough to give my muscles the oxygen it needs.
I've stopped heavy squats as a result because it raises my bp when I'm pushing out of the hole. It's just too hard to breathe doing a 3 plate squat, so I seldom go over / plates ES and find if I pause T the bottom it's plenty hard enough but I can still breathe

Probably wise to run any ideas past your doctor before self changing your meds

CoQ10, dha/fishoil, taurine and slowly getting back into workouts i would try first before popping pharma pills IMO.

seems odd he would put you on BP med when you havent had these issues before and only had them less than 2 months. also MANY have high BP issues, maybe its not even from DNA directly, but you need to give more care to prevent it being more susceptible.
also CIA helps BP and adds to erections, worth looking into.

Back