Are squats the best exercise for leg muscle growth?

Tarasoft11

I find squats to be very hard on my back, while the leg press I can do with no problem. Would my gains be less if I did more leg presses instead of squats

Maybe . Maybe not. Did you try lowering the weight first? Too heavy and your form may be bad. So u can go lighter and maybe add in additional sets.
Or save em for the last exercise and go lighter. I wouldn't give up on squats so fast until maybe you figure out what's causing the back issues.

My back tightens up on me..probably from hamstrings being tight. I don't know. But on the days it's tight on go lighter or just do 3 sets instead of 4 or 5

I agree with Anzel, it's most likely your form that's off and if you combine that with heavier weight it can cause low back issues. If you can have someone take a video of you doing squats. You could have a bad case of butt wink at the bottom of your lifts or you could be getting the bar to far forward and you're rounding your back on the way up. Only way you're going to know is to video it and break it down. You can find a lot of great squat videos on youtube that can help you analyize what you're doing wrong. Check out Mark Rippetoe's starting strength website, he's got a lot of great info on the squat.

Also as Anzel has said stretch your hamstrings and calves, they are very overlooked when it comes to lower back pain.

Don't give up on the squat unless you already have a messed up back, I have horrible knees and yet I squat every week and every rep is painful however....I still believe that as painful as they are I would've had to have my knees replaced years ago if I didn't do them!

Man do I hate squats. That being said, I neglected them for a long time, I squat once a week now and since doing them my legs began to build like they never had. I've always had tall thin legs and it it the hardest body part for me to add size so no matter how much I hate leg day I get it in. Form is key. Don't ego lift just get ur form on point. When I started doing squats I was trying to lift too heavy and kept hurting my back. I switched over to the Smith machine, lowered the weight and got my form down then moved back over to the squat rack. Slow and controlled reps don't forget depth and don't be a 1/2 squatter those guys look ridiculous

The half and quarter squaters are so much fun to watch though! Nothing better than watching a a guy with match sticks for legs walk out of the squat rack with 405 and quarter squat it with all his buddies cheering him on!

You MUST have strict form when doing squats to prevent injury and sore back. You'll never lift very heavy at all when you put your back into the exercise.

As said lower the weigh so you can do 15 reps min or more while you work on forum and have a spotter critique / watch. Keep your head up and rest the bar as far back on your shoulders as possible without it rolling off. Arch your back some what.

Back