back to the gym and in need of help

kkelis

Hi guys

I recently began working out after a few years of being lazy and i seem to still feel uncomfortable with my workout program.

I have this problem of not being able to decide how to workout because i read to many posts from different people:)

Ill get straight to the point:
1) I very easily pumped. It feels good but it happens really really fast. My arms may get a full pump and be sore after 2 sets of my first back exercise for example. Aren't we suppose to lift our first set like its our last? as in putting enough weight on the first set that would make you struggle on the last rep and really giving it your all. If I do that , I cant do a 2nd set. If i put e.g 100kg for my first set and do 8 reps, I feel good... but my pumps remain for so long that if i rest for 2-3 minutes and try to do another 8 reps with 90-95kg .... i cant even do 1 rep. I need reduce the weight almost 50%. On the other hand, if I start off easier e.g 80-90kg and 8 reps , I end up not adding or removing any weight at all for the next 2-3 sets because they were to light. It's like i need to guess every time i go the gym how much weight I need to put.. .i can't even keep a record. You guys know what i mean ? really hard to explain but it happens to me a lot. I guess my real question is .. .if you feel that huge pump from the first set and can't do much more after that .... do you call it a day or take 5-7 minute break (if needed) in between sets?

2) The other problem I have is figuring out what kind of exercises i should be doing during my cutting and bulking phase. I have been told various scenarios for this. Things like , "do a compound exercise like flat bench 5x5(if chest/tricep/shoulder day), 2 other exercises for shoulders 8x3" thats it. .... other guys saying "noo you need to hit it hard .. i do 7 exercises for my chest and 5-6 sets each exercise."

Someone here years ago told me to just stick to 5x5 for bulking and cutting. He said to do a compound exercise 5x5 then 2 isolation exercises 8x3 reps to trigger different kind of muscle tissues .... something around the lines of using the compound exercise for strength and the 2 isolation exercises for the mass (dont remember exactly the explanation but it was very interesting and it would take around 30-40 minutes to complete).

If the above is still a good idea , let me know and ill stick to it.

If it makes any difference , im 29 years old around 190-195 lbrs 23% bodyfat (obviously i want to cut now) and 5'11

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Hope this wasn't all too confusing

Aris

Bro, all that advanced training is exactly that...advanced. it sounds like you need to get a good base first. Just do 3 to 4 full body exercises and 3 half hour cardio sessions a week for the next four months. Focus on things like squats, clean and jerk, deadlift, barbell bench, etc.. During this time research as much as possible in different routines. There are an infinite amount of training techniques, but you have to know what good form is, what mind muscle connection is, and what weights should be used for what, first and foremost. Just get with someone that knows how to lift properly. You don't have to do all heavy. Shit,I have a completely different routine for each body part, each week. You are still in the stage where you'll benefit from full body training so utilize it and study for now. YouTube has tons of how to videos on form and different exercises. Use it

Hey Norsegod and thanks

I know what you mean but everytime i go to the gym, it feels like im not doing this things right ... or mainly i start asking myself questions, did i do enough ? was 3 exercises 4 sets enough for chest? it doesn't sound like its enough but my body is collapsing and can't do a single push up ... maybe i should rest and do more ? or call it a day ?

You see what i mean here? :) unfortunately i spent 2 years non-stop in the gym about 4-5 years ago and everyday i went through these questions and it was driving me crazy

Yeah. I get that way cuz I don't always get sore anymore, but like I said, don't worry about this stuff. Just do full body every time. Bigger muscle groups like chest require more sets than say, biceps, but thus also depends on weight used, training regime, goals, intensity...there are too many variables. I think you would do well to get a trainer. Honestly, probably every guy in here has trained someone and most even do it as at least a second job, like myself. 3j is a great nutritionist if you need help with that too

Thank!

3j is godlike... lost 20kg of fat in the past in like 3-4 months. It took like 2-3 years to put most of that weight back... it was the best investment i ever:)

Ill just keep at it then. It feels like im always doing something wrong but ill just train until my body gives out and can't take anymore.

learn to listen to your body... how do you feel after chest work out?? sore?? as mentioned above. stick to basic movements in the beginning .

Take it slow start out conservative and make sure to add weight each week if u can. Focus on progressive overload. Don't start too gung-ho or else u may burn out or plateau take it slow and increase intensity slowly by slowly and surely you will see gains. Slow gains are better than none and better than fast gains and burning out or hitting plateau. And focus on the big compound lifts. Presses, deads.sqauts, dips, rows, pull ups etc

Agree with norsegood, compound movements squats, dead lifts bench press etc get your ligaments and tendons used to the stress you out on it while lifting again

Back