Belted Vs. Non-Belted Squatting

iron addict

Here was my response after reading many poeples answers.

Damn I hate all these black and white reponses to non black and white questions. But, I am guilty of them too at times so I shouldn't be disappointed when others I respect do. Here are some thoughts on the "belt Vs. no belt squatting. I will let you sort out the conclusions.

I squat xxx hundred lbs and never use a belt.

Fucking great, can a borrow YOUR bodies bio-mechanics, femur to shin ratio, femur to torso ratio, overall torso length, fast twitch to slow twitch fiber distribution, and neural recruitment patterns?

Before I had trained a lot of people I would always bark a response about "what I did/do" Know what? When you train 70+ people at a time you quickly discover that whatever the fuck "I do" is totally irrelevant for a large percentage of the lifters. Whoever said God created all mean equally sure as hell didn't train a varying segment of the lifting populace. I know lifters that have a femur torso ratio that makes upright squatting with big weights without a belt seem easy. I know other lifters that have a WAY stronger core, but due to structural and likely neural differences absolutely need the belt to perform maximally with big weight with any degree of safety.

You will always have a weak core if you use the belt when lifting heavy.

Hey, I know a bunch of guys that bought into the same logic about using straps when deadlifting. WOW, what an earth shattering concept. Lets see, we can not use the straps and help build a stronger grip.......at the expense of work that could have been done if using straps for the:

Quads
Hams
Glutes
Spinal erectors
lats
mid-back
Traps
Abs

WOW, what a deal, we worked our grip at the expense of working almost the whole fucking body. Damn that is some powerful reasoning at work.

I can do grip work as accessory lifts. Who'da thunkit??

If your squat is 50-75 lbs less when unbelted and you are at more risk for injury than if you had the belt on (and BTW, those numbers are how much less many lifters use without the belt) I would suggest that you start training the hell out of the core while squatting with the belt.

Kimbo made a very good point that inter and intra muscular coordination can be thrown off when wearing the belt, which brings up the next common sense point that some have already made. Use the belt only when you have to. I only put on the belt when the weight gets reasonably heavy. How much is relative to YOUR capacity and body type. If I don't have at LEAST 405 on the bar, I don't wear the belt. But I will wear it doing a warm-up single with 405 or a set of 15 with 405.

If your bodies mechanics suggest belt use on heavy squats, I suggest it is used on all sets at 80% max.

I also suggest that if you don't need to wear the best you keep it off. This is where confusion and finger pointing arises. Lifter X squats 600 no belt or wraps, Lifter Y risks injury, and has a squat resembling a piss poor good morning with anything over 450 without the belt. So lifter X simply states that lifter Y has a weak core and is belt dependent without ever taking in the other lifters proportions/bio-mechanics and fiber/neural , genetics and state of development/conditioning.

You need to work the core muscles with accessory lifts.

DUH! You need bulletproof abs/spinal erectors/hip flexors, and hams if you are to squat heavy let alone heavy without a belt.

Many competitive lifters don't use a belt and they don't need too because their core is strong. Well maybe in wonderland, but in the real world almost all powerlifters use a belt, 99.9% probably, and the VAST majority of Olympic lifters too.

After lots of rambling, here is my opinion.

Whether you wear a belt or not heavy core work other than squats or deads are a requirement.

Some people simply do not need a belt to perform at extremely high levels. They are NOT the average lifter in my experience. Your experience may vary. If it truly doesn't help your lifts much and doesn't add to overall "tightness" and sense increased stability and performance don't use it, but to argue that it doesn't add tp performance, stability, and safety for most users is lunacy and ignores the facts.

We are all very different in our physical a well as mental makeup and to believe that "this is how I do it so it must be best/correct for everyone is very limited thinking.

Iron Addict

thanks IA
another pet peeve i have is the all or nothing belt argument . all belts even levers are adjustable ,just haveing the thing on helps keep the lower back warm . i personnaly dont like a super tight belt , i wear it looser and push against it with my abs this leaves me room to breathe and still adds the internal pressure needed for HEAVY squats . those who argue the belt does all the work and are a patch for a weak core have a point for newer lifters who dont train the core and just latch the belt down so tight you need the jaws of life to get them out lol .

When I put on a belt I wear it tight. I'm with IA though, I won't use one unless I've got at least 4 plates up.

IA or anyone in the know- What are some other core excercises rather than weighted situps??

A lot of the no belt talk is seemingly coming from a macho mentality it seems. Some guys at the gym saying that they are a crutch, etc. Complete garbage and based on ignorance.

And that's coming from a guy who rarely if ever wears a belt. ;)

jeep said:
IA or anyone in the know- What are some other core excercises rather than weighted situps??

the core is not just your abs. its the entire area of your mid body. front back and sides. this includes the upper legs

jeep said:
glute ham raises, hyper extensions, reverse hypers, any variation of a crunch movement, pullthoughs, on and on.

DougoeFre5h said:
glute ham raises, hyper extensions, reverse hypers, any variation of a crunch movement, pullthoughs, on and on.
i have recently added GM's to my leg work day and must say they are kicking my midsections ass front and back.

I never use a belt these days. Been in the game 25 years. I stopped using a belt about 10 years back. However I am a BB not a PL. I don't squat 600 & 700 these days or 800. And yes I have wheel these poundages back in the day until began ripping tendon from the bone. I was DLin 700 or so in a workout about 8 years back and my damn left bicep rolled up to the delt. Tat shit ain't fun! Also I always do abs On squat day for I have found it makes my back feel better, you know that little tightness ache. IMHO a belt can cause strenght imbalances. Just my $.02

Last edited:
Ok so you dont deadlift because you snapped a tendon in your arm...what does that have to do with a belt? And strength imbalances? Cmon man what are you talking about did you read IA's post???

My ortho attached the tendon. I still deadlift, not as heavy. Moderate weight only. Yes I read the post, but on down the line some get on the subject of strenght imbalances.

Back