Blood Clots from Steroids?

Thorn

Hey guys,

New member here. Although I have browsed the boards for many months, first time posting.

I wanted to ask a question that deals with the title of my post. Basically is it possible to get blood clots from doing steroids? I have found a few subjects about it on the net, but wanted some of your guys opinions and feedback.

The reason I was curious about it was last October, a year ago I got blood clots, one actually traveled to my lungs, a PE or pulmanary embolism is what it is called...I was lucky. Most people, well 80% of the people that get one that travels to the lungs die.

Anyway a few months before that I was doing steroids, mostly Sust and Test. I actually stopped about 2 months before the clot happened, which happened out of the blue. While in the ER, one of the first things the doc asked me was if I had done steroids, I was honest and said yeah I had, but explained it was 2 months before I was admitted to the hospital. He seemed to think that was to long ago (at that time) to bring on blood clots.

To this day the docs are unsure what caused it. I still have to take Coumadin daily to help keep my blood from developing clots. Although the clot in my lung is gone, the doc said I'm still at risk of getting them in my leg or legs (that's where they start).

Another thing I'm wanting to start another cycle, nothing major, but a light cycle, but not sure it would be the smartest thing to do.

last...great board, keep it up. :)

Possible that clots can get stuck and travel up later on, but unlikely from what I've heard. I had a friend that had clots twice. One got stuck in her leg the other burst through tiny blood vessels in the roof of her mouth. Both instances were from taking E and Speed and dancing for 14 hours straight. Do you have an occupation where you are on your feet for long periods of time that you weren't use to before?

jimdawg said:
Do you have an occupation where you are on your feet for long periods of time that you weren't use to before?

Actually my last job I was on a concrete floor standing 9+ hours a day, not including breaks. Factory work for 10 years.

I now have a new job. Not on my feet "as" much. I have read that if your not active your can get clots, but I'm fairly active with work and exercising, so...maybe it was the the factory work?

Thorn said:
Actually my last job I was on a concrete floor standing 9+ hours a day, not including breaks. Factory work for 10 years.
so...maybe it was the the factory work?
The factory work and standing for long periods of time is not a risk factor for a PE. Your new job of sitting all day is a much higher risk factor.
Why are you still on Coumadin, and at what dose? Most patients that have a PE are placed on heparin, and then switched over to Coumadin for 6 months. Do you have a blood disorder that causes your blood to clot irregularly?
As for steroids causing blood clots...I am not exactly sure. I can assume that the increased RBC production could cause an increased risk of developing a clot, but I do not have any literature that states that to be 100% true. I am sure some of the other bros on the site could possibly tell you more, unfortunately I do not work in endocrinology or family practice.

My new job, I don't sit as much as I made it sound, but I can sit when I want, unlike the factory work, I couldn't sit unless it was break time or something. As for the Coumadin, the docs said its different for everyone, some people stay on it for 6 months, others up to a year...maybe even lifetime with small doses. I took Heparin in the hospital, then Lovenox (not sure if thats spelled right) for the first 5 days after the hospital, shots in the stomach, always fun.

bigdaddy22 said:
As for steroids causing blood clots...I am not exactly sure. I can assume that the increased RBC production could cause an increased risk of developing a clot, but I do not have any literature that states that to be 100% true.

that's the first thing that came to my mind as the increase in RBC will make the blood more viscous but like you I'm no expert. I do know that once you develop a clot your chances of developing another one in the future is increased. Are you thinking of any future cycles? If it were me I'd be very wary to touch any anabolic without knowing the cause of the clot.
Is there a connection between test and clots? My guess would be no considering the number of people on forums like these where you never hear of such an event or of any professional body builders who are on grams of test. Like daddy22 asked, have you been diagnosed with any blood disorder or any disease? Did you have surgery shortly before the clot? Did they ultrasound your legs or other parts to find the source of the clots?

you struck my curiosity but I'd like to see an explanation as to how instead of the vague statement that PE can be attributed to AAS.

One of the more serious problems associated with anabolic steroid abuse is the invariable decrease in circulating HDL-cholesterol because of the action of androgens in suppressing hepatic endothelial lipase activity. This may have long-term consequences in increasing the risk to ischemic heart disease, but is probably unrelated to the cardiomyopathy, cerebral vascular accident, or pulmonary embolism associated with Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) use—which may be independent effects of androgens on the vasculature and hemostasis.

Several cardiovascular complications including hypertension, cardiomegaly, stroke, pulmonary embolism, and acute myocardial infarction are associated with use of anabolic steroids.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/media/GroundWarrior/issues/winter00/steroids.htm

MPPM said:
thave you been diagnosed with any blood disorder or any disease? Did you have surgery shortly before the clot? Did they ultrasound your legs or other parts to find the source of the clots?

I had several blood test done and all came back negative, a good negative. No surgeries and yes they initially did ultrasound and found the clots followed by a cat scan.

I know I probably shoulnd't consider doing a cycle again...probably wont.

This part of the article you posted sounds so much like what happened to me, except I wasn't in the Marines.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/media/GroundWarrior/issues/winter00/steroids.htm

I asked him what had happened. He gasped a few words at a time, telling me that he had been feeling fine all day. Suddenly, he couldn’t catch his breath. He asked me if he was having a heart attack and said the pain was getting worse.

a pulmonary embolism, which occurs when a blood clot forms in one of the body’s veins. Eventually, the clot breaks loose and is carried to the lungs. In this Marine’s case, his blood clotted in one of his leg veins. The clot broke loose and ended up in his lungs, where it clogged. Blood flow in his lungs slowed, and he couldn’t get the oxygen his body desperately needed.

if you do decide to jump on I'd find a doc for monitoring and who would be full aware of the situation.

best of luck bro.

MPPM said:
if you do decide to jump on I'd find a doc for monitoring and who would be full aware of the situation.

best of luck bro.

Yeah good advice. Thanks.

Oh and I like the avatar, I'm a big Mcgwire and St Louis fan. Go Cards!

steroids and blood clots

Hey guys,

New member here. Although I have browsed the boards for many months, first time posting.

I wanted to ask a question that deals with the title of my post. Basically is it possible to get blood clots from doing steroids? I have found a few subjects about it on the net, but wanted some of your guys opinions and feedback.

The reason I was curious about it was last October, a year ago I got blood clots, one actually traveled to my lungs, a PE or pulmanary embolism is what it is called...I was lucky. Most people, well 80% of the people that get one that travels to the lungs die.

Anyway a few months before that I was doing steroids, mostly Sustanon (sust) and Test. I actually stopped about 2 months before the clot happened, which happened out of the blue. While in the ER, one of the first things the doc asked me was if I had done steroids, I was honest and said yeah I had, but explained it was 2 months before I was admitted to the hospital. He seemed to think that was to long ago (at that time) to bring on blood clots.

To this day the docs are unsure what caused it. I still have to take Coumadin daily to help keep my blood from developing clots. Although the clot in my lung is gone, the doc said I'm still at risk of getting them in my leg or legs (that's where they start).

Another thing I'm wanting to start another cycle, nothing major, but a light cycle, but not sure it would be the smartest thing to do.

last...great board, keep it up. :)

You have demonstrated that you are susceptible to hypercoagulopathy. Some people are at higher risk of developing severe complications when using steroids. For you, they may be life-threatening. You should take Coumadin probably the rest of your life and wear compression socks. Stay well-hydrated. And you shouldn't consider anabolic steroids again.
Steroids can definitely cause blood clots! Even if it's been two months after your cycle. Steroids cause your testosterone levels to rise, but it may also cause your estrogen to rise, which can definitely cause blood clots. You can never be sure unless you have your blood tested for estrogen before, during and after steroid use. And, even though manufacturers of your prohormones or steroids will tell you that there is no conversion to estrogen, that is simply not accurate. These products are not regulated by the FDA and manufacturers can claim almost anything they want. When you fiddle with your testosterone you mess with all of your hormones, including estrogen.

You have demonstrated that you are susceptible to hypercoagulopathy. Some people are at higher risk of developing severe complications when using steroids. For you, they may be life-threatening. You should take Coumadin probably the rest of your life and wear compression socks. Stay well-hydrated. And you shouldn't consider anabolic steroids again.
Steroids can definitely cause blood clots! Even if it's been two months after your cycle. Steroids cause your testosterone levels to rise, but it may also cause your estrogen to rise, which can definitely cause blood clots. You can never be sure unless you have your blood tested for estrogen before, during and after steroid use. And, even though manufacturers of your prohormones or steroids will tell you that there is no conversion to estrogen, that is simply not accurate. These products are not regulated by the FDA and manufacturers can claim almost anything they want. When you fiddle with your testosterone you mess with all of your hormones, including estrogen.

Great post on a threat that is 7 yrs old. Oh an to boot the OP only has 20 post since 2006 so am sure he will be thankful forbthe info if he ever reads it.
Just saying

Great post on a threat that is 7 yrs old. Oh an to boot the OP only has 20 post since 2006 so am sure he will be thankful forbthe info if he ever reads it.
Just saying

Well its still beneficial for all folks that had a PE and are still interested in taking steroids (like myself).

Anyways I had a similar thing to him back in 2009, finished my course and nearly two months later had a pulmonary embolism. I was on Test Cyponate,boldenon and kick started it with Dianabol. It happened to me when I was on clomid. it was just waiting to happen cause I think my RBC count was pretty high and ofcourse an explosion waiting to happen. I was also not doing cardio (just a 5 min warm up) and just hitting the gym to bulk up. I was also not taking any aspirin to keep RBC down. But anyways my point is that for me all these things build it up and clomid triggered it. My other problem is that I did no blood test before, during and after my cycle which was also stupid.

Since then I did not workout until end of last year (around September 2013) and did only a three week cycle of a strong prohormone in Feb 2014. I recently did my tests and everything came up good except my liver was elevated (due to excess creatine), so i stopped that and will be testing again in a couple of weeks. My cycle will be Dianabol and test Enanthate at very low dose to see how I react to it. If I cope well, will increase the dose alittle then next cycle, if i don't then i'll just exclude steroids.

Anyways my advice to any with a PE (or anyone else) who is interested in taking steroids is to get blood works done, do atleast a couple of hours of cardio a day (first thing in the morning and before bed) and to take a baby aspirin daily and might want to double that. I am now on Nattokinase, apparently this stuff dissolves clots, only been on it for a week and havent noticed anything yet but I will stay on it to hopefully stay safe but will still take an aspirin a day (but asipirn will only be during my cycle and a couple of months after that). another option would be to donate blood to get your RBC count down. Also what really helps me and I think makes me breath better is L-arginine, opens up arteries and gets plenty of oxygen, I really like it cause I did not really notice it until I stopped taken it and was always quickly out of breath.

Anyways folks, cardio, aspirin/nattokinase, L-arginine, fish oil/ omega 3 and CoQ10

Last edited:
warfarin keeps yur blood from clotting, so yur pretty safe. I test my inr once a week with an at home test kit. androgens raise my inr so i take less warfarin to compensate. my dr wants me between 2 and 3 inr range

Well its still beneficial for all folks that had a PE and are still interested in taking steroids (like myself).

Anyways I had a similar thing to him back in 2009, finished my course and nearly two months later had a pulmonary embolism. I was on Test Cyponate,boldenon and kick started it with Dianabol. It happened to me when I was on clomid. it was just waiting to happen cause I think my RBC count was pretty high and ofcourse an explosion waiting to happen. I was also not doing cardio (just a 5 min warm up) and just hitting the gym to bulk up. I was also not taking any aspirin to keep RBC down. But anyways my point is that for me all these things build it up and clomid triggered it. My other problem is that I did no blood test before, during and after my cycle which was also stupid.

Since then I did not workout until end of last year (around September 2013) and did only a three week cycle of a strong prohormone in Feb 2014. I recently did my tests and everything came up good except my liver was elevated (due to excess creatine), so i stopped that and will be testing again in a couple of weeks. My cycle will be Dianabol and test Enanthate at very low dose to see how I react to it. If I cope well, will increase the dose alittle then next cycle, if i don't then i'll just exclude steroids.

Anyways my advice to any with a PE (or anyone else) who is interested in taking steroids is to get blood works done, do atleast a couple of hours of cardio a day (first thing in the morning and before bed) and to take a baby aspirin daily and might want to double that. I am now on Nattokinase, apparently this stuff dissolves clots, only been on it for a week and havent noticed anything yet but I will stay on it to hopefully stay safe but will still take an aspirin a day (but asipirn will only be during my cycle and a couple of months after that). another option would be to donate blood to get your RBC count down. Also what really helps me and I think makes me breath better is L-arginine, opens up arteries and gets plenty of oxygen, I really like it cause I did not really notice it until I stopped taken it and was always quickly out of breath.

Anyways folks, cardio, aspirin/nattokinase, L-arginine, fish oil/ omega 3 and CoQ10

I like the gist of your message, but I wanted to clarify something. Aspirin DOES NOT lower red blood cell counts; it simply prevents them from sticking together, which helps prevent clots. Donating blood/Apheresis are the only ways to truly reduce one's RBC. Just want to make sure folks don't start popping up with hematocrit values in the 60's because aspirin is much easier than sitting on a table and having blood drawn, that's all. :)

warfarin keeps yur blood from clotting, so yur pretty safe. I test my inr once a week with an at home test kit. androgens raise my inr so i take less warfarin to compensate. my dr wants me between 2 and 3 inr range

That's great, I never knew there was a home test kit, will definitely look for it. Between 2 to 3 inr when you are on roids? Did you get a pulmonary embolism before?

I like the gist of your message, but I wanted to clarify something. Aspirin DOES NOT lower red blood cell counts; it simply prevents them from sticking together, which helps prevent clots. Donating blood/Apheresis are the only ways to truly reduce one's RBC. Just want to make sure folks don't start popping up with hematocrit values in the 60's because aspirin is much easier than sitting on a table and having blood drawn, that's all. :)

Didn't know that, thanks for the info

Back