Blood results and best course of action

Hawkeye72

Hello one and all,

Im hoping I can get some advice around my pre-cycle bloods and an appropriate course of action going forward.

My background and what led me to consider a test cycle
45yo Male
186cm
97kg
Train 3 – 5 times a week
Diet is good

I’ve always been a fit and healthy individual, I’ve trained and competed in boxing for the good part of 20 years, and consistently trained strength for the last 5 years. My son competes at national level in Olympic Lifting and I’ve done a fair bit of training with his coaches and club. We lift together at home when he’s not training at his club.

Last year I got sick with Chronic Sinusitis and it put me out of action for about 9 months and then recovery post-surgery was quite slow. I gained some weight and lost fitness and muscle tone. Ive been working my arse off over the last 5 months but struggling to make muscle and strength gains and the damn belly fat won’t budge. I’ve noticed the libido dropping a bit too and motivation is off.

This got me thinking about doing a cycle to try and get me back on top, help with the belly fat and regain some muscle and strength. I’ve spent the last few weeks lurking various sites and trying to learn as much as possible, time and again everyone said get bloods so that’s been my first course of action.

I got full bloods done at my docs and androgens and hormones done privately. The docs bloods came back all good apart from borderline low MCV (anaemia) which Im addressing with iron supplements. The androgen/hormone bloods came back today and look pretty shit to my untrained eye. Im hoping for some of the more knowedgable members to give me some guidance on interpreting these and a course of action to take.

ANDROGENS

Total Test - 14.4 nmol/L = 415 ng/dl
SHBG – 48 nmol/L
Free T – 228pmol/L = 66 pg/ml = 7 ng/dl
FAI - 30

HORMONES
FSH - 10u/L (this was flagged as abnormal on the results which had a limit of <9)
LH - 5u/L
E2 – 100pmol = 27.2pg/ml

TRT can be exceptionally hard to get here in Australia, and everything Ive looked at medically online would indicate Im borderline for qualifying. Well fuck borderline, I’ll do what needs to be done to get this sorted.

I honestly have a shit ton of questions that I’ll put up in following posts but I thought this would be a good start

Are you thinking about cycling, TRT, or both (blast & cruise)?

Here's a chart that shows test levels per age. For 45 the range is about 350 to 1,150, so you are right that it will probably be difficult to get somebody to agree to treat you.

View attachment 567595

The original plan before bloods was to do 250mg test c for 10 to 12 weeks. Like you've pointed out I'm not in the zone where treatment is necessary now, however there's a few things I'm wondering

1. Im at the bottom end of normal range, do I just sit round and let my T continue to decline before doing something? Is Trt inevitable anyway?

2. If I go on am I in that area where there's no point coming off? Again being at the lower end and a middle age guy will recovery be hard on pct?

3. My SHBG was on the cusp of the high range, can addressing this help with my test levels? Would this be a good preliminary course of action?

your anemia tells me youre likely not getting enough saturated fats in.. which is likely affecting your natty testosterone production levels..

saturated fats are the building blocks of natty t. i recommend you start eating more red meat.. once a day 4 days a week should do it.

the fsh being out of range is a bit concerning... i wonder what is causing that

The original plan before bloods was to do 250mg test c for 10 to 12 weeks. Like you've pointed out I'm not in the zone where treatment is necessary now, however there's a few things I'm wondering

1. Im at the bottom end of normal range, do I just sit round and let my T continue to decline before doing something? Is Trt inevitable anyway?

2. If I go on am I in that area where there's no point coming off? Again being at the lower end and a middle age guy will recovery be hard on pct?

3. My SHBG was on the cusp of the high range, can addressing this help with my test levels? Would this be a good preliminary course of action?

Can't answer #1, but clearly with age nothing will get any better and may get worse, unless you find a cause like 3J pointed out.

For #2 going by personal experience and what I've seen all over the place, once you go on you won't want to come off.

#3 I don't know of any way to reliably change.

Seems like the choice might be influenced by if you want any kids, or are done with that. It's an easier decision if you don't need to worry about sperm. In your case I'd also try a run of clomid mono therapy first, it might be all you need to put you much higher. That and the saturated fats, plus make sure you have vitamin D, zinc, and magnesium.

Back