Bodyfat Testing?

sadgirl22

redsquirrel said:
As for calipers, unfortunately darlin, they don't lie. They measure skinfolds, and you just can't lie on those.

I know that regular calipers are pretty accurate, but I wanted to know how accurate the Accu-Measure calipers were (since they only measure ONE area). Has anybody compared these with the accuracy of other test methods?

I would not trust the Accu Measure. Everyone holds fat in different parts of their body, and to make a calculation based on one pinch seems assonine to me. Some women hold more fat in their hips and thighs, while others hold it in their mid section. I would find a place who has the regular kind, and do it that way.
I really don't see how it could give you an accurate BF %. And for what you're doing, you absolutely need an accurate calculation. Do they measure the same spot on both men and women?

redsquirrel said:
Do they measure the same spot on both men and women?

Yes, the area is located 2 inches above the pelvic bone on the right side of your body. These calipers are the one they recommend also in the "Body For Life" contest. But (as you stated) since we all hold fat in different areas, I wondered about the accuracy. Guess I'll see if I can have it done at my gym. Thanks!

I'd definitely agree that one pinch isn't going to give you much a read.
With women, I do at least 5 skinfold measurements and men, it's usually six. Now do keep in mind that fat caliper testing is not always that accurate. Just be sure that the person testing you is experienced at caliper testing. ;)

Fyre said:
I'd definitely agree that one pinch isn't going to give you much a read.
With women, I do at least 5 skinfold measurements and men, it's usually six. Now do keep in mind that fat caliper testing is not always that accurate. Just be sure that the person testing you is experienced at caliper testing. ;)

'DAT be some major truth!

I had one of the girl's in the gym test me a few weeks ago. She tested me at 20%! I knew I was not even close to 20%!

I had Ron, one of the BB's at my gym test me last week.He read it the proper way. No way in hell did I drop down to where I'm sittin in a matter of weeks!

I'm curious as to what a water "tank" test would result in for %'s vrs. the "pinch" testing!

I don't go all that much by my bodyfat anymore, I use the mirror more than anything now. If my abs look sharp, then I know I'm all good!
I'll get tested once in a while, moreso to see where I've lost. I do however, still suggest that when someone is first starting out, to definitely monitor their bodyfat. It is a far better indication of health, than weight.:)

Back