Bottle Top Filtering Units

Not those Stiphy I have 20 of those millipore complete units laying around.

Starks said he has a different kind of bottletop filter that sticks through a rubber stopper. From what he described it's not the usual bottletop or even the complete unit such as the ones as I use. With that in mind, I think that the issues he's describing and a couple issues I've experienced might not actually be that much related and I could possibly be worried about nothing? This is why I wanted to see the bottletop for which he is describing.

Last edited:
Anyone want to revive this thread, I also use RS to buy stuff. I have never filtered a 500ml batch like that.

I have always been told to use the wattman filters. I find that when you filter a larger quantity like 100ml your thumb gets sore. It takes some time but its not so bad.

60ml syringes and 1 filter works out best, imo.

I would love to filter a larger quantity quickly. 500ml or greater.
The bottle top method looks gravity fed, vs a hand pump system.
When do you make the switch from bottle top to vacuum method?

I prefer the Millipore PVFD filters over the Nalgene nylon. I will use Millipore from now on.

I might just have to try them.

One would assume that you use this system to filter around 500ml, but not so much more than this?

My question was more with regards to volume, when do i go away from wattman to milipore to a larger system.
At what volumes.

400ml of sustanon250 by way of watman is a little pain in the ass, but the quality and clarity of the end product is very nice.

are these multi use or single?
Millipore Stericup Complete Filter Units with Durapore PVDF Membranes

complete means to me single use.
DO i also need the hand pump?

I might just have to try them.

One would assume that you use this system to filter around 500ml, but not so much more than this?

My question was more with regards to volume, when do i go away from wattman to milipore to a larger system.
At what volumes.

400ml of sustanon250 by way of watman is a little pain in the ass, but the quality and clarity of the end product is very nice.

I would definitely use a vacuum system with 400mL, but that's only my personal preference.

I filter tren with Whatman's and don't see any difference in quality of the end product between the syringe filter and the Millipore unit.

are these multi use or single?
Millipore Stericup Complete Filter Units with Durapore PVDF Membranes

complete means to me single use.
DO i also need the hand pump?

All of these filtration methods are of single use only. (whether it's Millipore, Nalgene, Whatman etc.)

Yes you need a hand pump, relatively inexpensive though for how much time you save from syring filters. I think I paid like $25 from Harbor Freight. Make sure you get one with a guage!

Brake Bleeder & Brake Bleeder Vacuum Pump Kit

Yes I was looking at this unit.
milliporecompleteunit.jpg

With this hand pump
ahandpmp.jpg

I noticed there is no hoses though.....Unsure What I need....Wont know till I order I guess.

Last edited:
you can get a handpump from autozone or kragen auto parts and it has hoses that fit the nalgene nylon filter .2micro unit... u have to get glass media bottles to filter stuff into.. the plastic containers that come with the unit will break and you will lose valuble oils....
the most i would ever suggest filtering is 200mL and
the hand pumps can hold 25lbs of suction for a long long time...

Hey I just bought the NALGENE MF75 top filter units. I just realized they come in three different colors.

Blue = Polyethersulfone (PES)
Yellow = Surfactant-free cellulose acetate (SFCA)
Green = Cellulose nitrate (CN)
Red = Nylon (NYL)

I just bought 10 Blue Ones and have test e and tren e powders on the way.
I am wanting to know if the blue ones with PES membrane, will it filter the test correctly or do i need to buy one of these different membranes?

Second question
After i heat up the oil, i mix the powder in with it and mix then let oil cool down before filtering. Is there a recommend temp to use while filtering the oil with the PES membranes?

Third Question: is NALGENE or Watman filters better? I want the best! I have no budget, and im ok with spending the money for a filtering system. Im planning on making at least a lot. alot a bit! thanks

Also, I just ordered a sample amount of 50g of Test E and 50g of Tren E
I have slowly been finding different recipes and collecting a little bit of knowledge from each one.
Is there a thread or site you can recommend to me with the best information.
Is ethyl oleate better than using grape seed or Walnut Oil? I hear it is best of you want no pain for injection site.

Last edited:
Hey I just bought the NALGENE MF75 top filter units. I just realized they come in three different colors.

Blue = Polyethersulfone (PES)
Yellow = Surfactant-free cellulose acetate (SFCA)
Green = Cellulose nitrate (CN)
Red = Nylon (NYL)

I just bought 10 Blue Ones and have test e and tren e powders on the way.
I am wanting to know if the blue ones with PES membrane, will it filter the test correctly or do i need to buy one of these different membranes?

Second question
After i heat up the oil, i mix the powder in with it and mix then let oil cool down before filtering. Is there a recommend temp to use while filtering the oil with the PES membranes?

Last Question: is NALGENE or Watman filters better? I want the best! I have no budget, and im ok with spending the money for a filtering system. Im planning on making at least a lot. alot a bit! thanks

you want the red nylon .2micromil 250mL filtering units... those blue ones aint gunna work... you need to weigh the powders... put in your beaker... add proper ba.. bb if needed.. amount of oil and eo needed if your going to use eo and depending on what hormone you have... depends on the heat required to melt the hormone and let it hold in the oil or bb... use the oven...
then let cool real good or ull ruin your filter..
then filter away.. by the way.. u need to got you a hybex glass media bottle with a 45mm neck to filter into.. the plastic receivers that come with the filter unit will break and you will have valuable product everywhere...

Last edited:
DO NOT USE PLASTIC BOTTLES. Not only do they break but they start to melt from the solvents and then you have plastic in your brew. its no good after that. You'll never filter out that cloud of white.

Go to harbor freight (online or local) buy a AC vacuum pump (99 bucks) you can even T off and run two filters at once for large batches.

Yes I was looking at this unit.
milliporecompleteunit.jpg

With this hand pump
ahandpmp.jpg

I noticed there is no hoses though.....Unsure What I need....Wont know till I order I guess.

no use red naylgen filter. I've never used the millborne so good luck. Make sure its for oil not water based stuff. screw that hand vac go get pump from harbor freight

and if brew is warm it will flow faster.

Last edited:
DO NOT USE PLASTIC BOTTLES. Not only do they break but they start to melt from the solvents and then you have plastic in your brew. its no good after that. You'll never filter out that cloud of white.

Go to harbor freight (online or local) buy a AC vacuum pump (99 bucks) you can even T off and run two filters at once for large batches.

whoa woe way! You talking about hooking up this pump to a top filter? harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html If so I am buying it! I'm also going to buy, if i have to i can find it, a stainless top filter holder that uses replaceable pdvf and nylon filters membranes from a overseas. I want to do this right and not have the filter melt from the BB. I bought 12 pack of pes filters and returned them for refund today. I was told they will not work for test. Please let me know if the complaints are from the membranes of the filters melting with the BB. I read earlier that it was either the plastic holders or the filter itself that was being melted and contaminating the brew. On the contrary the post before me says to use the plastic nylon filter. i know to get a glass media bottle. just still unsure about the controversy of what filter to use.the cheap ones that some say melt or the glass ones that are expensive and no one knows how obvious it is get other than the one website that was mentioned above that you have to sign up a profile to get.

Some people in the forum says that nylon filter is way to go why others say that to get a stainless (autoclamp) top filter is the way to go cause plastic filters will deteriorate. Also are the filters the same for the 250ml filters compared to the 500ml filters as the 500ml filters can filter more toxins therefore be able to filter more brew? thanks

Last edited:
Yes harbor freight AC vacuum pump i think its 99 bucks. Its a little smoky but very fast if the oil is warm. Use red nalyogen(sp?) filter and glass receiver on bottom. Or go buy expensive super pump for large UG lab batches. LOL

whoa woe way! You talking about hooking up this pump to a top filter? harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html If so I am buying it! I'm also going to buy, if i have to i can find it, a stainless top filter holder that uses replaceable pdvf and nylon filters membranes from a overseas. I want to do this right and not have the filter melt from the BB. I bought 12 pack of pes filters and returned them for refund today. I was told they will not work for test. Please let me know if the complaints are from the membranes of the filters melting with the BB. I read earlier that it was either the plastic holders or the filter itself that was being melted and contaminating the brew. On the contrary the post before me says to use the plastic nylon filter. i know to get a glass media bottle. just still unsure about the controversy of what filter to use.the cheap ones that some say melt or the glass ones that are expensive and no one knows how obvious it is get other than the one website that was mentioned above that you have to sign up a profile to get.

Some people in the forum says that nylon filter is way to go why others say that to get a stainless (autoclamp) top filter is the way to go cause plastic filters will deteriorate. Also are the filters the same for the 250ml filters compared to the 500ml filters as the 500ml filters can filter more toxins therefore be able to filter more brew? thanks

BTW I went to your link yes thats it. Just get some clear 1/4 hose a T is optional if your brewing 2 baches. You will have to go to OSH or lowes, maybe harbor has the 1/4 inch male brass nipple. Leave top one capped.
they are on sale all the time for under 100.
good luck

BTW I went to your link yes thats it. Just get some clear 1/4 hose a T is optional if your brewing 2 baches. You will have to go to OSH or lowes, maybe harbor has the 1/4 inch male brass nipple. Leave top one capped.
they are on sale all the time for under 100.
good luck

Thanks Tommbstone! So I have been so confused over the controversy between nalgene/millipore and pdvf/nylon.

I just read this about nylon that the membrane binds a lot of the protein to itself?

Nylon
Membrane is strong, inherently hydrophilic, and compatible with a broad range of aqueous solutions including alcohols and solvents used in HPLC work.

New low extractable Nylon membranes combine the solvent resistance of Nylon with a membrane that exhibits very low extractables. Nylon is commonly used for general laboratory filtration, and filtration of HPLC samples prior to injection. Nylon binds protein, and should not be used when maximum protein recovery is important. Nylon can be sterilized by autoclaving at 120°C, gamma radiation, or ethylene oxide.

Am I understanding this right? What i get out of this is if im trying to filter a 250mg/ml solution that its going to yield less mg/ml from filtration with nylon.

this is my source of information
labwater.com/article.asp?id=332&title=Lab_Filter_Membrane_Properties

PVDF
PVDF (polyvinylidene difluoride) is a hydrophilic, solvent resistant membrane that exhibits low levels of UV absorbing extractables. PVDF is useful for HPLC sample filtration, as well as general biological filtration. PVDF is considered to be one of the low protein binding membranes.

Last edited:
Thanks Tommbstone! So I have been so confused over the controversy between nalgene/millipore and pdvf/nylon.

I just read this about nylon that the membrane binds a lot of the protein to itself?

Nylon
Membrane is strong, inherently hydrophilic, and compatible with a broad range of aqueous solutions including alcohols and solvents used in HPLC work.

New low extractable Nylon membranes combine the solvent resistance of Nylon with a membrane that exhibits very low extractables. Nylon is commonly used for general laboratory filtration, and filtration of HPLC samples prior to injection. Nylon binds protein, and should not be used when maximum protein recovery is important. Nylon can be sterilized by autoclaving at 120°C, gamma radiation, or ethylene oxide.

Am I understanding this right? What i get out of this is if im trying to filter a 250mg/ml solution that its going to yield less mg/ml from filtration with nylon.

this is my source of information
labwater.com/article.asp?id=332&title=Lab_Filter_Membrane_Properties

PVDF
PVDF (polyvinylidene difluoride) is a hydrophilic, solvent resistant membrane that exhibits low levels of UV absorbing extractables. PVDF is useful for HPLC sample filtration, as well as general biological filtration. PVDF is considered to be one of the low protein binding membranes.
dude... pvdf wont work.. just go with nylon... it will come out fine.... i mean it might work... but point is just go with nylon.. it is the best...

Back