Buy equipment ? or go to a gym?

kkelis

Hey all

Ive been reading on and off a lot about exercise routines and things like "best exercise for chest" and other body parts etc. What i noticed though is that everybody had there own opinion on it and there no such thing as the "best exercise" for any body part.

I also read some threads about doing core exercises that really impressed me and i want to know your opinions on it .
According to numerous threads . No matter what exercise you do ... it wont make your muscles grow in a different "shape" i.e a special exercise to get a nice peak on the bicep. From my understanding ... if your bicep grows enough .. it gets to a point where that peak is developed . So with that said ,you can basically only do core exercises on split days and doing enough sets/reps to kick your arse, would give you the same results as if i was doing 7-8 different exercises...so i was thinking.. (since i have the space) Wouldnt it be wise for me in the long run .. to just get myself an adjustable bench(with a separate stand that can be raised high enough for squats) , a barbell , weights of course , set of dumbbells and a chin-up bar instead of paying for a gym ?

That equipment is about 1000 EUR .. whereas signing up to a gym yearly is 650 EUR (monthly is not worth it ) . And i can do all core exercises with this ... squats ... deadlifts ... bench press (flat, incline) biceps ... shoulders (with barbell and dumbells) ... back ...( I also walk everyday for some cardio) ..... This equipment is also enough for the 5x5 routine when bulking.

Whats your opinion on this ? I believe there's enough exercises for each body part with the things i mentioned above to completely destroy me(as a beginner and in the long run) ... Ive worked out for a year non stop in 2010 and my muscles would get so easily pumped that i couldnt do more then 3 exercises per body part . For example i would do my chest (flat bench, incline dumbbells, flys) exercises and then it was impossible for me to do more then 1 exercise of 3-4 sets of my triceps. I was completely annihilated ... i would always try to do push ups at the end and i couldnt even do 1 .

Any info would be great .. thanks alot !

I think it all boils down to your lifestyle. In my case it isn't possible to go the gym so I have amassed everything at home I would do in a gym. It's also more convenient. Downside is you are stuck with what you have. If you want to try something new and you are limited by what you have, then obviously you are either not doing it or buying something new.

It sounds like buying what you need would be more cost effective for sure. You also have to consider the safety of doing things like squats or BP without a spotter.

I think it all boils down to your lifestyle. In my case it isn't possible to go the gym so I have amassed everything at home I would do in a gym. It's also more convenient. Downside is you are stuck with what you have. If you want to try something new and you are limited by what you have, then obviously you are either not doing it or buying something new.

It sounds like buying what you need would be more cost effective for sure. You also have to consider the safety of doing things like squats or BP without a spotter.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Agreed

yeah thats right ... spotter would be great .. maybe i can get a friend to come over and workout too ....

But from my experience i think i wouldnt have any problems working out at home for 2 years (atleast) ... after that.. weight will get to heavy to be at home .

Thanks alot guys :)

I had my garage converted into a gym for the first year and a half of my training and it did the job for a while but you will notice as you get stronger and in better shape your gonna start buying a little extra weight here and there. From personal experience, that little extra weight here and there was adding up to a lot more than a gym membership.

Also its pretty nice not having to strip the bars every time you change exercises. Plus having a spotter is one thing that helps you move past those big numbers that you wouldn't attempt on your own.

Just fyi, those all in one home gym set-ups usually can't handle any real weight, you would prolly out grow it before you ever got your moneys worth from it ( thats from personal experience, I broke mine and repaired it twice. When I contacted the company about it they said that the home gym I had wasn't designed to be used with over 300lbs of weight. Shit man, I paid over $1500 dollars for it.)

Anyways, I hope this helps you make your decision. Good luck.

I've had various benches / weights and things over the years. The problem is 1. Space and 2. Range of excercizes you can do with limited equipment.

The most economical and space friendly setup I can think of (and currently have) is:

Weight tree full of Oly plates
EZ curl bar
Tricep bar
Adjustable bench
Adjustable dumbbells
Pullup Bar

Save the full size barbells / expensive full dumbbell racks / machines for the gym.
That way, you can do your back / chest / legs at the gym, but still have enough weights and types of setups to get a good arm/shoulder workout at home. Need to hit chest but stuck at home? Throw a couple of 45's or whatever will fit in a backpack and do some pushups. Back? Pullups, bentover rows.

My opinion is join a gym. Having your own equipment is nice but I view it like having a job where you work at home. Some days you just arent going to feel like working so you wont. Maybe thats just me but I feel like my workouts are more intense in the gym than at home. Not to mention in a year all the money you have spent on an "at home" machine will be worthless since most of them will not support much weight.

Gym has everything you need. I feel I'm more focused at the gym. Nice to get away from the distractions at home.
But it's nice to have a good bench and dumbell set at home if you can.

I like to have a few different gym memeberships and a home gym this way u never miss a workout.All gyms should be open 24/7 nothing like some 2am squat time !!!

When my wife was pregnant I built a gym in my basement thinking I would work out at home if needed w a new baby in the house.... Well i think I used it maybe 3 times in 5 years Not the same for me I just couldn't get the intensity with her yelling down the stairs asking if I took out the garbage lol. I need to be in a gym setting to get a good workout but that's me

Join a gym it provides a better atmosphere that your home couldn't produce. Other lifters will motivate you as well. Plus the variety of equipment is better unless you have the money to spend on expensive gym equipment

I've got a medicine ball that been used once and it's under my coffee table in front of a large TV. Any workout equipment I've ever bought has been vastly underutilized but yet, I'm toying with the idea of buying an elliptical (for my my AM fasted cardio, of course!!). I'm sure you've heard the expensive coat hanger analogy, it's so true. I don't know anyone that's got their money's worth from a home gym.

I've been the out of shape guy in the gym before, don't worry, there's lots of company! Well it can suck to feel out of shape around people who are in great shape, what doesn't suck is the feeling off accomplishment as you progress. After a few years don't be surprised if you're the one passing judgement (in your head) on the people who are in reasonably good shape but look exactly the same as the day you joined.

I've got a medicine ball that been used once and it's under my coffee table in front of a large TV. Any workout equipment I've ever bought has been vastly underutilized but yet, I'm toying with the idea of buying an elliptical (for my my AM fasted cardio, of course!!). I'm sure you've heard the expensive coat hanger analogy, it's so true. I don't know anyone that's got their money's worth from a home gym.

I've been the out of shape guy in the gym before, don't worry, there's lots of company! Well it can suck to feel out of shape around people who are in great shape, what doesn't suck is the feeling off accomplishment as you progress. After a few years don't be surprised if you're the one passing judgement (in your head) on the people who are in reasonably good shape but look exactly the same as the day you joined.

funny you mention that, i have a homemade medicine ball under a coffee table by my tv that i used once. i thought it would be fun. maybe one day. like some guys have said you may lack the motivation if it is in your home, i wouldn't have that problem my self. i LOVE lifting. i think i would enjoy a little setup in my basement better. no assholes to deal with, i can be loud as i want, i can blare music over speakers instead of dealing with earbuds. i don't have to waste time driving to and from and bringing food and preworkout with me. and you can do a lot more than squats deads and bench with a barbell. snatches, cleans, hang cleans, overhead press, tbar rows, bent over rows, the list goes on. you can hit hams with straight leg deads but i would recommend a no shit glute ham machine if you only have one other piece of equipment (besides a pull up bar of course). also you can build dip bars for cheap as hell and quickly with not even 30 dollars worth of inch and three quarter schedule 40 pvc piping and a 5 dollar hacksaw. i vote home gym if you have the drive and dedication. also if your neighbors don't mind loud noises

I have a complete home gym but it just isnt the same as going to the gym full of people i get way more out of my workouts going to the gym.

I have a complete home gym but it just isnt the same as going to the gym full of people i get way more out of my workouts going to the gym.

i hate gyms full of people. i'd rather lift in my dingy basement where i can be an animal. those dumb fucks at the gym just get in my way.

Combination is the way to go. By the way, Planet fitness reviews are not the best for Big people like us. Try to find a gym that understand bodybuilding or power lifting lifestyle. Get a home boy for heavy sets and the rest is up to you

This was some really interesting and helpful information, because I have been wondering the same thing ***8211; regarding buying workout equipment for the house. My problem is becoming motivated to work out around those big muscle people at the gym when I'm so very skinny!

Back