Carb sources......

Miss Muscle

I'm finding rice chips/cakes really really convenient as a carb source. But of course I hear alot of flack about it being processed blah blah blah. I'm seriously thinking of making this my main carb source.....opinions? Would it really be that bad? Or does it really matter, as long as I get the proper macros in.

I wouldn't...processed foods are just bad in general. They lack nutrients. You should still include a variety of carb sources not only for your health, but gains as well. There are lot of tastey things,

oatmeal, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, all kinds of veggies, tortillas, the list goes on!

id eat em pwo, thats about it. They are super high gi, spike insulin, promote fat storage, stop all fat loss, little nutrients, no fiber.

They aren't to bad - Scott abel and Laura Binetti includes these as the main carb source in their client diets. If your eating your protein and need to eat them go for it.

My GF eats a lot of these because of their convenience. I think there are better sources but definatley a lot worse. I would look for the WHOLE GRAIN ones though.

DirkMoneyshot said:
They aren't to bad - Scott abel and Laura Binetti includes these as the main carb source in their client diets. If your eating your protein and need to eat them go for it.

How many grams in a cake? They seem so low in cals.

I would include them if they are a significant source of carbs, it would be so much easier than preparing all the above.

Suareezay said:
id eat em pwo, thats about it. They are super high gi, spike insulin, promote fat storage, stop all fat loss, little nutrients, no fiber.
How do they stop all fat loss?

bad choice of carbs for your main carb source -- it should be a LOW GI carb

Miss Muscle said:
How do they stop all fat loss?
your body doesnt burn fat when theres insulin present. even oatmeal spikes insulin, but not to the degree of a white rice cake. Dirk mentioned whole grain rice cakes, which would be a much better alternative to the white ones.

if you want a really convenient carb source, throw plain uncooked oatmeal in a jar with cinnamon and splenda. Its chewy, and will leave your mouth really dry, but you can take it anywhere and it tastes really good.

outlawtas2 said:
How many grams in a cake? They seem so low in cals.

I think there is about 11g carbs / cake (large ones)

I wouldn't make them your main carb source though (Just my opinion) but if you need a quick carb source and don't want to cook or just on the run crab 5 or 6 and your good to go-

Again make sure you eat your protein along with them and grab the whole grain ones.

Suareezay said:
your body doesnt burn fat when theres insulin present.

I would be careful with this statment - I understand what your trying to get at, but others won't. You can still lose fat with carbs in the diet :) for all the people thinking that no carbs is the only way to get lean.

I didn't realize the body doesn't burn fat when insulin is present. Can you expand or link me up with some articles on this?

DirkMoneyshot said:
I would be careful with this statment - I understand what your trying to get at, but others won't. You can still lose fat with carbs in the diet :) for all the people thinking that no carbs is the only way to get lean.
yea, i didnt mean no carbs, just that slowering digesting, high fiber carbs should be your main carb source. Hell i dont care if eating pure sugar out of the bag is what does it for you, you can eat whatever you want occasionally, just dont plan your diet around it.

Back