Chicken Kerahi

texgrl

I got this from elite ages ago, and its the yummiest thing if you like hot stuff!

Chicken Kerahi (3 servings)

Ingredients
3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
olive oil - I use 1/4 c. for flavor and consistency of the sauce, but if you really don't want to use as much, you could get away with half as much (2 Tbl.) or even less.
2 large heads of garlic, minced (or as much as you prefer. Also, jarred minced garlic works fine here)
2 hot peppers (chili or serrano) once again, you can use only 1
salt, pepper to taste
pepper flakes to taste (I use about 1 1/2 Tbl)
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated (more or less, to taste) Note: powdered ginger really doesn't do the trick
1 14 1/2-oz can diced tomatoes (or more, if you prefer) I use Rotel to make it hotter!!!!
1/2 Tbl dried cilantro or as much fresh cilantro as you like (can be omitted if you hate cilantro)

Roti, if you can get it! Or tortillas or rice to serve with. I use the low carb tortillas from la Tortilla factory!

1. Chop chicken breasts into 1-in chunks. No need to be precise. Bigger pieces make it easier to eat with roti/tortillas.

2. Chop peppers in half crosswise. If you really want it hot, chop them into 3 or more pieces. Pour oil in nonstick skillet. Heat oil briefly and add minced garlic and hot peppers.

3. When garlic begins to brown, add chicken. Don't let the garlic burn! Stir, sprinkling chicken with salt, pepper, and pepper flakes. Let chicken cook until it loses almost all of its pink.

4. Add ginger and tomatoes. For a chunkier sauce, strain tomatoes first and add enough tomato juice to make it saucy enough (using the whole can will make the sauce quite juicy). If using dried cilantro, add now.

5. Stir mixture and allow to cook until chicken is fully cooked and sauce starts to reduce (for the cooking-impaired, that means 'evaporate' ). When almost done, add fresh cilantro if you're using it.

IT'S DONE! heat up your roti/tortillas by any way that you prefer or serve up the rice. When eating with roti/tortillas, it's customary to tear the bread and use it to 'scoop' the chicken and sauce.

Note: I like a well-reduced sauce, so I remove the chicken once it's cooked and let the sauce boil until it thickens. You may find this step unnecessary. If you haven't used as much oil as I use, this step may not improve the flavor/thickness of your sauce - perhaps a little tomato paste or more canned tomato chunks added with the rest of the tomatoes would make it thicker for you.

Leftovers keep well in the fridge (be sure to store chicken and roti/tortilla/rice separately!), and are easy to nuke for lunch the next day. If you are wary of hot food, remove the chili peppers before you store the leftovers.

Sounds good, I just defrosted some chicken before work Im gonna hook that up when I get home....Thanx Texgrl

I made it last night. I thought it was great. My wife thought it was so-so. I'll be making it again.

glad ya liked it trevdog! we love it! i sometimes use regular chicken breast, but the pre-cut chicken tenders you can buy in the store seem to turn out way more tender and juicy! i put extra garlic and peppers in mine, as well as extra ginger. i bought the ginger in the jar that is by the oriental food section, because i couldn't find fresh ginger. it seems to add a real good flavor.

Last edited:
Yea, I love ginger. Next time I'll just be making it for myself, so I'll use more ginger, garlic, peppers, and salt.

yep, i like it right on the edge of so damn hot its uncomfortable!! i'm a closet masochist i guess!!

texgrl said:
I got this from elite ages ago, and its the yummiest thing if you like hot stuff!

Chicken Kerahi (3 servings)

Ingredients
3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
olive oil - I use 1/4 c. for flavor and consistency of the sauce, but if you really don't want to use as much, you could get away with half as much (2 Tbl.) or even less.
2 large heads of garlic, minced (or as much as you prefer. Also, jarred minced garlic works fine here)
2 hot peppers (chili or serrano) once again, you can use only 1
salt, pepper to taste
pepper flakes to taste (I use about 1 1/2 Tbl)
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated (more or less, to taste) Note: powdered ginger really doesn't do the trick
1 14 1/2-oz can diced tomatoes (or more, if you prefer) I use Rotel to make it hotter!!!!
1/2 Tbl dried cilantro or as much fresh cilantro as you like (can be omitted if you hate cilantro)

Roti, if you can get it! Or tortillas or rice to serve with. I use the low carb tortillas from la Tortilla factory!

1. Chop chicken breasts into 1-in chunks. No need to be precise. Bigger pieces make it easier to eat with roti/tortillas.

2. Chop peppers in half crosswise. If you really want it hot, chop them into 3 or more pieces. Pour oil in nonstick skillet. Heat oil briefly and add minced garlic and hot peppers.

3. When garlic begins to brown, add chicken. Don't let the garlic burn! Stir, sprinkling chicken with salt, pepper, and pepper flakes. Let chicken cook until it loses almost all of its pink.

4. Add ginger and tomatoes. For a chunkier sauce, strain tomatoes first and add enough tomato juice to make it saucy enough (using the whole can will make the sauce quite juicy). If using dried cilantro, add now.

5. Stir mixture and allow to cook until chicken is fully cooked and sauce starts to reduce (for the cooking-impaired, that means 'evaporate' ). When almost done, add fresh cilantro if you're using it.

IT'S DONE! heat up your roti/tortillas by any way that you prefer or serve up the rice. When eating with roti/tortillas, it's customary to tear the bread and use it to 'scoop' the chicken and sauce.

Note: I like a well-reduced sauce, so I remove the chicken once it's cooked and let the sauce boil until it thickens. You may find this step unnecessary. If you haven't used as much oil as I use, this step may not improve the flavor/thickness of your sauce - perhaps a little tomato paste or more canned tomato chunks added with the rest of the tomatoes would make it thicker for you.

Leftovers keep well in the fridge (be sure to store chicken and roti/tortilla/rice separately!), and are easy to nuke for lunch the next day. If you are wary of hot food, remove the chili peppers before you store the leftovers.

Did you get it from an indian buddy of yours? My mom makes this stuff and a bunch of others that taste damn good. You have to try chicken tikka masala. That's the best. If i can get a recipe of that I'll post it.

Back