Component EH + NaOH= yellow mess?

Drudkh

So I'm doing my first EH conversion to test base. As per instruction I made a saturated solution of of NaOH using Rooto crystals of 100% lye and water and added it to my mix of heet and dissolved pellets. It instantly turned bright yellow. Then the solution separated with what I am assuming is the lye settling to the bottom and a now brownish, thick liquid on top. None of the instructions I read over mentioned any of these effects, so now I think I must have screwed something up. Is this normal?

Did you filter out the binders from the dissolved pellets? Should have been a clear liquid before adding the lye solution.

Yes I did filter the dissolved pellets with a coffee filter. I don't think the result was exactly clear, more like hazy white. Also as an update. I found a couple of places that said that the yellow color is normal, but nothing about the massive separation and settlement. As near as I can tell I just used too much lye. The yield was a lot of yellow powder rather than crystals and every time i rinsed it I lost a lot through the coffee filter. After rinsing with about 1/2 gallon of distilled water I had about .5 grams of yellow powder, from 4 grams of product. I just threw it out. Time for round two i guess.

Last edited:
Mabye try 2-3 coffee filters next time. Also I let the binders sit at the bottom of the jar and use a syringe to pull out the clear liquid, then filter the rest to a different container to make sure no binders get mixed in.

Back