Creatine Myths!!!

bigbuffstaples

"Who is your Daddy and what does he do?"
Here's a few i've heard, can you clear them up for me...

-Creatine is ineffective if you mix it with juice

-If you leave it in a drink for more then 5 minutes it dissolves

-Only powdered creatine that says 100% Creapure on it works, the rest aren't that great

also, i'm just wondering, can i mix my creatine in with shakes that have all kinds of other stuff in it? or will it not work as great?

I've always just mixed it in with water,,, tastes like complete shit until you get used to it, and even then it's not very pleasant.

Anyone know the answers to this stuff?

bigbuffstaples said:
Here's a few i've heard, can you clear them up for me...

-Creatine is ineffective if you mix it with juice

-If you leave it in a drink for more then 5 minutes it dissolves

-Only powdered creatine that says 100% Creapure on it works, the rest aren't that great

also, i'm just wondering, can i mix my creatine in with shakes that have all kinds of other stuff in it? or will it not work as great?

I've always just mixed it in with water,,, tastes like complete shit until you get used to it, and even then it's not very pleasant.

Anyone know the answers to this stuff?
there are studies saying citric acid effects creatine so orange juice might be bad , but grape juice should work just fine , some brands of creatine say 99%pure i hardly think the 1% will be noticed by any of us .i know a lot of people who put a scoop of creatine in their shakes especially if its a meal replacement type fortified with carbs/dextrose . i hope this helps

the acidity in the juice is what matters... also, Creapure is (i think) a petented creatine made in Germany that is regarded as the best source of creatine. A lot of chinese creatine is flooding the market because it is cheap, and has impurities...

see, i get an answer from both sides of the debait of the question... i don't know what to think,,, anyone else know more stuff???

I can't see it hurting the creatine to put it in with other stuff, although i don't know very much about nutrition at all... and that's what i was thinking about people saying the 100% Creapure... i know there's cheaper stuff out there that's less in quality for sure, hence why it's cheaper.

It doesn't matter if creatine dissolves. It doesn't dissapear, it has just changed from a solid to a liquid. You can mix it with other things, except citrus like the other guys said.

creatine CAN be mixed in with your shakes, works well, i do it all the time

chinese creatine works just fine, and as DADAWG said, you think you'll notice 1% impurity? i sure havent

The most interesting part of the question was the "5 minutes in water" one.
There's something true in the fact that creatine is not anymore effective after some time it's been dissolved in water, but that time runs around 12/16 hours, not minutes.
So, it's absolutely fine to drink it in your post wo shake.

If creatine is for the most part pretty unstable and when it is mixed in a liquid it starts to breakdown into a waste product creatinine. I believe that it's good for about 20mins or so.

i usually mix creatine with my post workout shakes. i usually add like 500 other things to it also, and its working good for me

Usually it will have an experation date on the bottle, and I heard that it's good for like 6months after that..(but that is just hear-say). The stuff does have a pretty long shelf life. I'm looking at my bottle of Prolab Creatine right now and it says it was manufactured 05/03 and exp. 05/05 just to give you an idea. Hope that helps....

must you have some type of simple carb (dextrose) with your creatine to make it work? meaning if you take it with just water it cannot be absorbed? yeh / neh?

speller,
you can take it with no dex. But your gonna be getting alot more absorbtion if you take it with....alot more....(I would highly recommend using Dextrose. On non workout days I take it when I get up with my morning protein shake = 40g protien 40g. dex 5 grams creatine. For post work out shake 60g protein, 60-100g dex. 10g creatine.

ILB50,
It should look like powdered sugar. It may clump when you first put it in the water(or whatever else you are mixing it in) but it should dissolve when you stir it. And no matter how much you stirr, it is going to be gritty....

no problem ILB50, On your off days take in when you get up in the morning.....Remember to drink a ton of water also....I usually drink 1gallon+ every day.

doggy said:
creatine CAN be mixed in with your shakes, works well, i do it all the time

chinese creatine works just fine, and as DADAWG said, you think you'll notice 1% impurity? i sure havent

Yeah but the problem with the impurity isnt just whether it stops the creatine working but WHAT is the impurity and what CAN it do.

Some impurities can actually be quite harmful.

Remember that tryptophan got taken off the market after a bunch of people died from using a batch which was contaminated with impurities.

Essex boy said:
Yeah but the problem with the impurity isnt just whether it stops the creatine working but WHAT is the impurity and what CAN it do.

Some impurities can actually be quite harmful.

Remember that tryptophan got taken off the market after a bunch of people died from using a batch which was contaminated with impurities.

Correct

trig said:
If creatine is for the most part pretty unstable and when it is mixed in a liquid it starts to breakdown into a waste product creatinine. I believe that it's good for about 20mins or so.

Really? I've been mixing it with gatorade, usually at least 24hrs ahead of my workouts, and I've gained 5-6 pounds in the last 9 days. Water weight I'm sure, but I'm gaining weight nonetheless. Seems to be working fine for me right now........

ILB50 said:
its ok to take Creatine with protien and grape juice all in one right or is it better to take grpae juice creatine the like 10 min later take protien???

If you want perfection yes, creatine and grape juice and then whey pro a bit later (maybe 20 minutes). You restore hepatic and muscular glycogen and then you add proteins.

Back