Criticize My Diet

fifo_thekid

I've been on this diet for almost a year, and I'm feeling much much better than before
I adjust the macros according to my goals, trying my best to have at least 1.2 gram/pound protein and no more than 20% of calories coming from fatty sources. My fat intake is composed of 60% good fats. So here we go:

Meal 1: Egg Whites, Oats, Flax Seed Oil
Meal 2: Chicken Breast, Sweet Potato, Bread
Meal 3: Lean Steak, Brown Rice, Mixed Veggies (carrot, peas and corn)
Meal 4: Canned Tuna, Sweet Potato, Bread
During Workout: Whey + Oats Shake
Meal 5: Chicken Breast, Brown Rice
Before Sleeping: Casein Protein, Olive Oil

I have two immediate problems with this diet:
1- My carbohydrates sources are not as "complex" as they should be. I can't seem to find any whole-grain bread in here, although I'm trying my best to get brown ones. In addition to that, I hope that I can get more carb sources.
2- My food is super-bland! What do you add to food to make it taste good while keeping it healthy? Please keep in a mind that I'm a horrible cook :eek:

And one last note: I'm living in Japan, so please try to be generic as possible and I hope that you can avoid giving me brand names instead of the actual type of food...

Much appreciated

well the answers to your two immediate problems....
1. your carbs seem to be as complex as it gets.. brown rice. sweet potato is great.. as for bread the best bread is ezekiel bread.. you can order online.. the runner up to that is orowheat healthfull bread..
2. curry, allspice, turmuric, cumin, dried herbs, cloves, garam masala.. all spices are no calorie bro... get creative!!! salt and pepper are in there too.. hot sauce.. a good very low calorie salsa.. ginger, garlic, onion, italian seasoning, paprica, and even taco seasoning works...

you have 4 options... 1. eat bland food 2. look up healthy recieps and cook 3. expierment yourself with these spices and cook 4. get a woman in your life that knows how to cook healthy and is willing to cook for you (iv gone through 1 and 3, i married a 4 lol)

A round-up of the advice I could gather from this and other forums:
1- Add fruits, preferably berries (such fruits are super expensive in Japan. However, I'll try my best to find some reasonably priced ones)
2- Replace my flax seed oil (Barlean's Highest Lignan Flax Oil) with Primrose (may I know why?)
3- Brown-rice might have anti-nutrients. Any comments on that?
4- Cut the bread
5- Replace intra-workout whey+oats mix with simple carbs + hydrolyzed caseinate or hydrolized whey. Any comments on this? I thought that constant consumbtion of sugar is bad? Should I use this mix even when I'm on a maintenance?
6- Switch to almond milk instead of normal milk. Or use a meal replacement shake and add some casein to it. (I really like my current casein and milk shake, would that make a difference?)
7- Add cinnamon to sweet potato.
8- Replace bread with almonds
9- Replace whey and oats with BCAAs because eating while working out is counterproductive.
10- Suggested spices/flavors: sugarfree ketchup, hot sauce, mustard, curry, allspice, turmuric, cumin, dried herbs, cloves, garam masala, ginger, garlic, onion, italian seasoning, andpaprica

Contains pectin, which assists in the formation of jellies, Contains little or no fat and protein, Contains small amounts of carotene (vitamin A) and vitamin b-complex...

Back