Defeat.

dialtone

There is something naturally fearful about being defeated. Whether it be in the gym, in school, at work or in your relationship...no one wants to lose or have the lower hand.

This fear can be a good thing when it is turned into motivation. It can also be crippling when you can't win. When I sense defeat, I do my best to be motivated by its presence. Being motivated by defeat requires an ability to change your perspectives about your possibilities of winning.

One way I do this is by remembering that something about the way I do things is unique...no one can do whatever it is just like I can. I think that the only thing to fear is not defeat, but the forgetting your abilities and potential...in other words, confidence.

Being confident in every situation requires a history of getting out alive. In my opinion, never fearing defeat is getting out alive.

Nothing I hate more than losing. Even with the smallest things. Sometimes it's not necessary, but it's just the way I was built. I just don't like the idea of anyone being better than me. My ego engulfs me sometimes lol.

most people view having an ego as a bad thing. It makes people arrogant or cocky. But, think about all of the times that your ego (whether it is justified or not) has kept you from getting down on yourself and feeling helpless.

I say be arrogant...just don't set yourself up for failure. Everyone needs at least an ounce of a competitive nature, it's what makes you try harder at everything you do.

For the first time since I have been on ology, I have to disagree with something you posted dtone :D

I certainly see nothing wrong with confidence, it's what enables me to do my job at the level I perform. Additionally I believe it has gotten me out of several situations that otherwise would have posed a serious problem.

However - I believe arrogance breeds hate as well as fear. While it may provide some feelings of superiority to people in the short term, as a more permanent behavioral characteristic it will attract people that are shallow and more than likely attract attention from those that have no patience for that type of attitude. Moderation in everything my man.

IMO of course. :uzi:

Fear of rejection is the same thing as defeat, right...?
Rejection sucks.

I get beat all the time by my kids and they rub it in good. (when can I tell em I keep lettin win?) lol

If you didn't have a healthy fear of fear, your decision making skills would be horrible. Fear allows us to stop and think. I hate losing. I mean, I REALLY hate losing. I'm not even allowed to play board games with my family. I have found that my fear and hatred of losing has led me to develop my problem solving skills. Fear of failure also motivates me to prove myself and anyone else wrong. I guess maybe that's why I hit the gym like I do. People said, "There's no way you could look like that". Oh yeah? Watch me...

For the first time since I have been on ology, I have to disagree with something you posted dtone :D

I certainly see nothing wrong with confidence, it's what enables me to do my job at the level I perform. Additionally I believe it has gotten me out of several situations that otherwise would have posed a serious problem.

However - I believe arrogance breeds hate as well as fear. While it may provide some feelings of superiority to people in the short term, as a more permanent behavioral characteristic it will attract people that are shallow and more than likely attract attention from those that have no patience for that type of attitude. Moderation in everything my man.

IMO of course. :uzi:

I think you misunderstood what I was saying...confidence is a great thing. The only thing wrong with confidence is that sometimes it makes defeat harder when it occurs because you didn't see it coming. Being confident provides you with an ability to do things that a self conscious person might steer clear of and as a result, you will experience many more successes.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying...confidence is a great thing. The only thing wrong with confidence is that sometimes it makes defeat harder when it occurs because you didn't see it coming. Being confident provides you with an ability to do things that a self conscious person might steer clear of and as a result, you will experience many more successes.
No sir we are on the same page on this statement 100%.

Back