developing as a fighter.. the art of right hand counter punching

Charles Bronson

old timey gentleman
one of the best counter punchers in boxing, of the last hundred years he's in my top ten as far as style

if he had campaigned at light heavy/ cruiser weight instead of falling apart after the loss to jones Jr , he'd dominated for a decade.. as it was he came back all old and fat and put a hurting on top ten heavies all the way to a title shot vs ruiz - that he easily won, but was tripped of due to banned subs found in his blood test

love him or hate him, he is a masterful boxer.. one of my favs

james mutha fucking toney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrFQtbM2rc

anytime a man launches anything from his left side, if you can anticipate and time him..

you can tag his ass.

i liked fading away, dropping a right hand over their jab.. that works really well for a man who is taller than the guy he in boxing with, you gotta be slick to make that work when your guy is taller and has a longer reach than you - but you can mix it in and land hard shots even when you're the smaller man - toney got away with it consistently in just about every fight just because he is so savvy

i also liked putting my head down and soaking up a jab to stuff a right hand in my mans yapper ( understand this - he gets sloppy over confident with a loose quick jab - tuck your chin in and head butt that fucking shot and make him pay, he breaks his hand on the top of your head and suddenly the game changes)

you can get kos and flash knockdowns from sharp accurate counters like this, because people rarely see them coming.. a guy you can hit head on with a ton of bricks who will just smile at you? hit him when he doesn't see it coming and he will wobble 9 times out of 10

mixing these kinds of counters in takes away a mans confidence , he will stop committing to his shots as much, won't push his body into his shots and start snapping them form the shoulder more.. because you counter punch vs a man who's committed his body to his punches - and its the same effect as a head on collision with automobiles - you exponentially increase the power and damage when a man is walking into your shots.. add to that , they rarely see a clean counter coming

yea, one accurate sharp counter punch can change everything

39:40

watch a right hand holyfield drops over a tyson jab change the fight..

a few seconds later, a clean counter right..

you watch the fight in its entirety, holyfeild uses a " rock n roll" right hand counter very effectively. he sets his feet, rolls back absorbing mikes shot - loading up on a hard right hand counter as he absorbs the shot - then popping hard as he can - really unloads that counter right, tees off on mike big time..

those counters affected tysons confidence pretty early on, evander started with throwing those to the body in returning hard punches to answer mikes aggression at the opening rounds.. then started turning them over the top, mixed it up with firing hard 45's/ upper cuts

one of my favorite fights, everybody talking shit on evander, i knew better..

Ali and Floyd both come from the mold of ray fucking robinson

let me be clear - "the greatest of all time" Ali took his cues from robinson

and so has floyd...

as tyson was a portage and the evolution of floyd patterson - these guys are adapting styles that already existed to suit their physical attributes and optimize their performances in the ring

they were not the originators. just sayin

rant over, schools back in..

this is something no too many guys can do, but really illustrates the dynamic of the how/why counter right hands are such a important tool

a variation of a 'rock n roll'

or fading and countering with a right..

the pull and drop is something a guy who has good eyes and enjoys a freakish advantage in speed can use once he has timed his man / has him worn down...

i could pull these off against a tired fighter, but you need to be a freak of nature with speed to burn and eyes like an eagle to get this going against a sharp opponent..

the penalty for failure? you're wide fucking open, you can get knocked down - and for setting up a right hand thats flashy and not going to get a ko???

i just never really saw the risk vs reward being something i would roll dice with.. that - and I'm not ali or floyd

but yea, the whole dynamic of how and why right hand counters should be something anyone who wants to be a masterful boxer should engage in.. illustrated clearly here- once you have a guys number with that counter right - he's fucked.. you're gonna tag him with it and there isn't much he can do.. his text book fundamentals aren't going to save him, you can start teeing off

Evander Holyfield & Mike Tyson are great I also like the Riddick Bowe trilogy form back in those days.

holyfield bowe 1 2 3

epic fights..

i wish bowe would have fought lennox, killed me when he dropped a belt instead of taking on lewis

look at the wear and tear on big daddy bowe all these years later, and he went 2 for 3 on those fights..

speaks volumes about evander, those bouts the kind that age a man ten years in a evening

holyfield was the most accomplished, over achieving, heavyweight champion of our time.

175 lb olympian, 175 lb world champ.

190 lb world champ, watch his fight vs dwight muhammed qwawi

five time world heavy weight champ

all time great hall of famer ..

and you never met a more gentle and kind human being

Speaking of trilogies tonight is the Shamrock vs Gracie 3

i have always liked the idea of a " masters division" for combat sports..

i would have really enjoyed a rematch of jones vs toney, even as faded as they are.. it would have been a great contest with all the passion and intensity of a epic showdown..

gracie and shamrock..

the downsides though, i don't want to see two old faded champions clinging to their glory days embarrassing themselves and/or pounding the shit out of each other..

so its a tough one to call, maybe if great care was taken in making match ups.. a master division would draw a lot of interest - generate plenty of money, and ultimately could provide contest as exciting as anything you'd see between two fighters in their primes

Bronson

For those that don't know CB is my virtual boxing coach. A little bit about me, I am a regular salt of the earth guy from Florida. I have a family and a little one. I hate working out; I hate dieting and the only cycle i have ever done was 400mg of test a week on 12 week cut. I stand 6'3 235lbs 14-15%bf(thanks to 3J getting my fat ass into some decent shape). I have been boxing for 8 months. I am college educated white collar professional and my wife is the same but with even more education, 15 years of post high school education to be exact. I got into boxing because a couple of my instructors in Krav Maga thought I might have potential and because I have seriously bad knees. The art of Krav is a little too knee intensive for me as it employs a fair bit of BJJ and muay thai, not good for an old man like me. Anyway, so I have been boxing for a 8 months and my boxing coach thinks i have potential and so does CB. I send him my sparring videos sporadically and he weighs in on what i can improve and does a general top to bottom analsis of the work in the ring the round or 3 I sparred. I must say, I have completely fallen for this god damn sport. I can't stop watching videos, interviews and reading stats. It's like football all over again but way way harder. The level of courage it takes to routinely engage in a combat sport is unparalleled. The science of boxing is unrivaled. Though some say it's a poor man sport, I would rather view it as intellectual sport. Once you get past the lights, the music, the adrenalin; boxing is truly a sport for the thinking man. I have been hit in the head now any number of times and I can attest that boxing is not a sport you "play" as the practitioners and tacticians say. I still have to convince my old lady to let me fight in a sanctioned event but in the mean while stay tuned...

Dirk, i made a career of telling people they were middling boxers at best - to give up the competition aspect of it to preserve their health..

so you can take it to heart when i say, yea.. you're gifted, you have some talent

that being said -

train to be the strongest version of yourself.

the day comes, share your knowledge with others..

be the mentor and teacher you always wish you had encountered on your own path

it might be the difference in someones life that pulls them in a positive direction and saves them from themselves..

B

Back