Diet Sodas when cutting?

Dorian used to advocate drinking a CASE of diet coke per DAY (not a typo) during the last weeks of his Olympia precontest dieting.

makes sense:

water is a potent diuretic, diet coke is 98% water
the caffeine keeps up your energy
the fluids flush your system
makes your stomach feel full so it cuts hunger pangs

dirty-dog said:
Dorian used to advocate drinking a CASE of diet coke per DAY (not a typo) during the last weeks of his Olympia precontest dieting.

makes sense:

water is a potent diuretic, diet coke is 98% water
the caffeine keeps up your energy
the fluids flush your system
makes your stomach feel full so it cuts hunger pangs

That all sounds like common sense to me - regardless of the confusion over the aspartame.

I don't drink soda pop any other time aside from when I'm dieting.
I find a vanilla diet coke really helps with the sweet cravings. I usually have one a day during diet times.

Make sure you are getting enough calcium in your diet too. Im sure you arent drinking a bathtub fulla soda a day, but phosphates over time can effect your calcium levels.

Im sure you are fine with a can a day.

Since I cant have milk or juice when I keto, I mix my vanilla protein with diet vanilla coke, or diet dr. pepper, or sh!t, even diet rootbeer..

I drink diet coke when in keto and don't notice it putting me out. I also drink a shit load of cofee everyday because of my eca stack and I don't find that makes a difference either.

Biggunner said:
I drink diet coke when in keto and don't notice it putting me out. I also drink a shit load of cofee everyday because of my eca stack and I don't find that makes a difference either.

Hi Biggunner, welcome to the board! It's nice to see u over here!;)

If you're worried about aspartame, Diet RC Cola (the last time I checked) was being made with Splenda and Sucralose.

I dont think it should be a prob...

I find myself drinking around 7 cans of diet coke a day, i also drink bout 1 1/2 gallons of water a day..

It didnt effect me in any way. While on my diet i still managed to drop down to around 7%bf.......

Ok, well I'm one of those die-hard soda drinkers that think diet sodas taste like sh!t due to the apartame aftertaste. However, I'm on a keto diet now and I just started drinking diet sodas 2 weeks ago. I have to say since I stopped drinking regular the diet version is almost too sweet for me now! :eek: I still get that aftertaste from diet sodas but it's not as pronounced anymore and I can stand it now.

Diet sodas are decent and it doesn't kick me out of keto, so I would say there's nothing wrong with it. Just don't overdo it since aspartame isn't all that great for your body. Just like anything else, in moderation and you'll be fine.

heregothere said:
If you're worried about aspartame, Diet RC Cola (the last time I checked) was being made with Splenda and Sucralose.

Cool! Gotta check it out. Love splenda so much better and tastier than aspartame. Now if they only had Diet RC here at work. :D

deadW8 said:
Cool! Gotta check it out. Love splenda so much better and tastier than aspartame. Now if they only had Diet RC here at work. :D
Diet Rite also uses Sucralose (Splenda) instead of aspertame. It makes the drink taste much more like regular than diet, which is great. But yeah, not always easy to find in your local vending machines. Your supermarket would/should have it.

What I've heard is that Pepsi and Coke have wanted to switch over to Spelnda sweetner, however they have contracts with Nutrasweet which prevent them from dumping them for another brand. I don't know if that's true, but at least there may be hope of the switch once those contracts are due!

By the way, I'm new to these forums and have been finding great amounts of advice that I will study from and use. But one of the posts on here struck my attention: Drinking diet drinks while using Keto... Forgive my newness to the world of training, but what are the affects of this? I am currently taking Lean System 7 which contains 7-keto, and I am also an avid diet pepsi drinker. I try to keep it to one or two a day, but just curious if I'm doing more harm than good? :confused:

hmmm, I stay away form soda pretty good, but it seems liek after a while water just gets "OLD". I love water while working out, but man, when i get a cold, or feel down, i don't want any water, i want a soda...I hate diet soda to an extent, but it tastes better then water on occassional days...I'm going to try the diet right i think...we'll see, if anyone has experience w/ diet right, pm me on what u think as far as cutting w/ soda....thanks
HB

Diet Rite taste pretty darn good if you don't like the diety taste other drinks give you.

On the subject of diet sodas... My wife tells me that my belly flattens when I stop drinking sodas (diet or otherwise) but I start to bloat out when I do drink them. I hate it when she tells me that cuz I just love soda and can never seem to quit cold turkey

I must admit I do feel better when I cut them from my daily consumption and just drink water. My cardio sessions are always more intense and I don't have that gassy bloated feeling. But three days later I find myself going back to the machine and buying one. Can't help it. If my office would get rid of the machine, I'd be much better off.

Anyone else find themselves bloating out when they drink it? Even just one or two a day?

Last edited:
fatchops said:
I only crave diet pop when dieting!!!!
I have the same craving. Now that I'm dieting I have to fight the urge to drink diet cola every day. Before this I would drink it about once a week if that . I just make sure to consume massive amounts of H2O and haven't noticed any adverse effects from drinking it. I'm still losing fat and don't feel bloated at all.

Back