Egg whites...good protein source?

W

Winchester

I tried looking up the nutrition facts for hard boiled egg whites but all I can find is the info for the processed shit. I'm on a college budget and eggs are the cheapest protein I can buy. I'm trying to drop a few % in bf and have been on a clean diet, mostly tuna, brussel sprouts, oatmeal, and hard boiled egg whites, a little cottage cheese, cardio 3x a week, etc...

My question is are egg whites, in hardboiled egg a good subsitute for chicken and other lean protein?

IMO - I believe that egg whites are a great source of high quality protein. I eat a dozen to two dozen a day.

Ok, so whats the real deal between the whole egg, and just the egg whites? Does it make a huge difference if you eat the entire egg or just the egg whites?

I'm not sure if you could really compare but how many egg whites would I have to eat to compare to like a chicken breast for example. Also, does hardboiling them change the nutritional value as compared to eating the egg whites other ways?

OK from the nutritional lable on the jumbo eggs that I buy, one egg has 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of total fat. Now, I understand that most of the fat is in the yoke.

As for hardboiling eggs; any time you cook proteins you denature the protein molecules and thus alter their bioavailability.

yeah, about the denaturing thing i was thinking about that, so its alot more better to just eat the eggwhites raw. and if the protein is denatured then it would be totally useless, i believe the protein has tro reach a certain temperature for the protein to be fully denatured.

Eat those bad boys raw, if you dont like the taste just put it in a protein shake or something. Just make sure to get yourself a biotin supplement and all should be well.

When you denature a protein all you do is just change the protein shape. The bio-availability does not change because the body digests the amino acids which is what we use and the amino acids are fine if the egg is boiled.

So what amount of hard boiled eggs would be comparable to eating a Xoz piece of chicken or Xoz piece of steak, if its even comparable

i would say that if ckn breast has 36g protein and eggs have 6g protein. 36/6 = 6. So IMO 6 egg whites would be the same as one ckn breast. My ckn breasts are 185g.

thanks for the replies. Eggs are cheap as fuck and I'm gonna start making them the biggest portion of my protein intake along with tuna.

the_hulk said:
When you denature a protein all you do is just change the protein shape. The bio-availability does not change because the body digests the amino acids which is what we use and the amino acids are fine if the egg is boiled.

Yes, that is right. It had been a while since I read some of my nurtitional books. I was remembering that incorrectly and confusing biological activity with nutritional value.

DENATURATION
A normally irreversible change in the structure of protein caused by mechanical stress, heat, acid, alkali or other agents, which can result in coagulation and reduction in solubility. Denatured proteins lose biological activity, but not nutritional value.

I have read in many places that cooking eggs actually makes the protein MORE available than eating them raw, I can't remember where I read that though so somebody else might have to come in here and set the record straight

egg protien is the #1 protien you can eat, it has 97% absorbtion rate, which is more than any other whole food. eat the whole egg, don't believe the hype about the yolk. the yolk has nutritional value also, it has some fat, but it's good fat, you need fat to keep your test up. If you want to cut out some fat do it somewhere else, but eat the whole egg. at least eat half of your eggs whole the rest white if you want, so if you eat 6 eggs, eat 3 whole 3 whites or just all whole.

onin2 said:
egg protien is the #1 protien you can eat, it has 97% absorbtion rate, which is more than any other whole food. eat the whole egg, don't believe the hype about the yolk. the yolk has nutritional value also, it has some fat, but it's good fat, you need fat to keep your test up. If you want to cut out some fat do it somewhere else, but eat the whole egg. at least eat half of your eggs whole the rest white if you want, so if you eat 6 eggs, eat 3 whole 3 whites or just all whole.

Are the fats in the yolk EFA's or is it better just to bypass them and get my fats from other places?

Is the majority of fat found in the yolk?

the_hulk said:
i would say that if ckn breast has 36g protein and eggs have 6g protein. 36/6 = 6. So IMO 6 egg whites would be the same as one ckn breast. My ckn breasts are 185g.
thats 6 whole eggs. The whites alone would be about 20-24g protein. The 6 whole eggs would also have a lot more fat than the chicken. Fat is not bad, but it has to be factored in.

Here's some good info on this topic.

Improve Your Cholesterol Profile
Not only have studies shown that eggs do not significantly affect cholesterol levels in most individuals, but the latest research suggests that eating whole eggs may actually result in significant improvement in one's blood lipids (cholesterol) profile—even in persons whose cholesterol levels rise when eating cholesterol-rich foods.

In northern Mexico, an area in which the diet contains a high amount of fat because of its reliance on low-cost meat products and tortillas made with hydrogenated oils, coronary artery disease is common. In a study published in the October 2004 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,

researchers evaluated the effects of daily consumption of whole eggs on the ratio of LDL (bad) cholesterol to HDL (good) cholesterol, and phenotype (the way an individual's genetic possibilities are actually expressed) in 54 children (8-12 years old) from this region. A month of eating 2 eggs daily, not only did not worsen the children's ratio of LDL:HDL, which remained the same, but the size of their LDL cholesterol increased—a very beneficial change since larger LDL is much less atherogenic (likely to promote atherosclerosis) than the smaller LDL subfractions. Among children who originally had the high risk LDL phenotype B, 15% shifted to the low-risk LDL phenotype A after just one month of eating whole eggs.

The egg is an inexpensive source of high-quality protein (about 6 grams in a large egg) and an important source of riboflavin and selenium., as well as some iron. These attributes should make it one of nature's near-perfect foods, but the egg has one drawback: Its yolk contains about two-thirds of the total suggested daily maximum intake of cholesterol.

When Americans began to be cholesterol-conscious, the egg was one of the first foods they stopped eating: Following a gradual decline since World War II in per capita consumption of fresh eggs, a markedly steeper drop of some 22% occurred between 1980 and 1990.

In the years since cholesterol became a widespread concern, research has shown that saturated fat has a greater effect on blood cholesterol levels than dietary cholesterol does--and eggs are not a major source of saturated fat. A large whole egg contains about 5 grams of total fat, of which less than 2 grams are saturated. (By comparison, a cheeseburger made with extra-lean beef and only 1 ounce of Cheddar cheese has 12 grams of saturated fat.)

As with cholesterol, differences in the way cholesterol content is measured have resulted in new values for eggs: A study performed by the Egg Nutrition Board (whose values were accepted by the USDA) found that by the new measurement methods a large egg contains nearly 25% less cholesterol than previously thought (210 milligrams instead of 275). In response to these findings, the American Heart Association has raised its weekly acceptable egg intake for healthy people from three whole eggs (or egg yolks) to four. Those with elevated cholesterol still need to limit themselves to one whole egg or egg yolk each week.

Egg whites can be used freely: It is the yolk that contains all of the fat and cholesterol (as well as the major concentration of calories, B vitamins, and minerals). The white is almost pure protein--protein that is considered nearly perfect because of its exemplary balance of amino acids. Even if you are very concerned about your consumption of cholesterol, you can still take partial advantage of the egg's culinary usefulness and nutritional value by cooking with egg whites alone.

Back