Filtration and Sterilization

platinum1331

Hi i am finding the syringe filtration system extremely tedious and would like to understand the bottle top vacuum filtration system along with the hand pump a little better. Using this system how can i get the filtered oil in the receiver flask into the vials in a sterile way.... any help would be very much appreciated...

Hi i am finding the syringe filtration system extremely tedious and would like to understand the bottle top vacuum filtration system along with the hand pump a little better. Using this system how can i get the filtered oil in the receiver flask into the vials in a sterile way.... any help would be very much appreciated...

Hey mate,

While I have not personally used it, I have read posts where some members talked about a device called Dispensette, which supposedly does exactly what you described:

dispensette-family__90681.jpg

There is not going to be any completely sterile method unless you have access to a special lab. Usually you would just put a cap on the reciever flask and you can then transfer it by syringe (depending on the cap. some you are able to puncture, others you aren't.)

Just make sure you are in a CLEAN, room temperature environment with little to no airflow to insure there are no bacteria getting in your product.

When you are melting your powder, place tin foil on top of your beaker or jar so that no bacteria get in your brew either. A lot of people will say it doesn't matter because you're going to push it through a filter anyway. Well, that is true, but thats a good way to shorten the lifespan of your filter. Prefiltering your carrier oil through a non-bleached coffee filter can also increase the life of your filter.

Make sure to autoclave any equipment that you use when applicable. AKA Don't autoclave syringes or other items that are not meant to be autoclaved or not worth autoclaving (needles are cheap).

What I'm getting at is the best way to do a sterile transfer to individual vials is to make sure the entire process is sterile. Just like preventitive maintenance on a car

Good luck!

Hey mate,

While I have not personally used it, I have read posts where some members talked about a device called Dispensette, which supposedly does exactly what you described:

dispensette-family__90681.jpg

Great bits of kit and easily autoclaved without taking apart.

You can buy disposable bottle top filtration units that come pre-sterilized. All of your glassware (beakers and vials) can be sterilized in the oven (takes atleast an hour), in an autoclave (can be bought on craigslist for $300), or you can use a solution for sterilizing your glassware like dentists use. I would put a link up for the solution, but its not allowed. Use isopropyl alcohol, or the solution for sterilizing your stoppers. Work in a very clean environment, on a very clean surface, always wear a mask, hair cover, and surgical gloves. Thats about the best you can do without lab equipment.

Back