Had to switch to training in the morning. Carrying extra weight now since.

Havasu

Ok, so I recently accepted a job offer, and relocated. Since then instead of working 7-4 and doing all training after work (which I really think my body prefers), to 9-6. So, I've started getting up training in the morning, and doing cardio afterwards if I have time. If not I do my cardio right after work. This gets me home at relatively the same time as if I worked 7-4, and trained after work.

Since the switch I am carrying extra weight and appear slightly bloated and I'm eating the EXACT same things. I don't mean kind of the same things, the exact same things. Just in a different order. I'm waking up and having what I used to have before I trained. A whey isolate shake with a Tablespoon of MCT oil. Post trianing I'm having Whey with some added Leucine, and Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin. I've placed my other meal with carbs in it a couple hours after that, it has a little fat in it too. the rest of the meals are protein, fat and veggies. So it looks like this currently

Pre-workout Shake (Protein and MCT oil)
Post workout shake (Whey Isolate, added leucine, Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin)
Protein/Carb/little bit of fat
Protein/Fat
Protein/Fat
Protein/Veggies
Pre Bed Time Protein, Fat Veggies

In the past I used to have Protein and fat the first meal, Protein/Fat, Protein/Fat, Protein/Carb/little bit of fat, Pre-workout Shake, Post workout shake, All Protein meal with veggies, Protein, Fat Veggies

Protein/Fat
Protein/Fat
Post workout shake (Whey Isolate, added leucine, Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin)
Protein/Veggies

I have tried a separate variation since I've noticed I been heavier, and bloated. The only thing I changed was putting the 2nd carb meal later in the day. So the only carbs before that were in my post workout shake.

Protein/Fat
Protein/Fat
Protein/Veggies

This hasn't changed anything. Now, I've tested this a couple times. A couple times I've worked earlier in the day, because of need, and when I eat the way I used to, and train at the end of the day, I feel leaner all day long. And I'm instantly 2-3 lbs lighter the next day. I go back to the new way, boom I'm bloated and heavier. This doesn't make much sense to me. I know it's not the best idea to spike insulin in the morning, but I'm not having a ton of protein in my pre workout shake first thing. I'm keeping it low, and adding bcaa's to prevent muscle breakdown. Yes I'm spiking insulin, but it's post workout, and that should be fine. By returning to protein and fats until later in the day this should be ok as well. So, does anyone have ANY idea what could be happening, it would be much appreciated.

One other thing I notice. After working out in the morning I am sluggish the rest of the day. And, if I'm sitting in a meeting I'm struggling to stay awake. Work out in the afternoon, and I have no such problem. Any ideas there?

The other option that I'm not thrilled about is I just get up later, start work at 9, workout after 6pm, and go to bed around midnight instead of 10.

How long have you been on this new routine? The body takes time to readjust, and I suspect you're just seeing cortisol doing its thing as your body is freaking out a little.

If you have been at this for longer than two months, I'd wonder about your adrenals and possibly thyroid, as those do have some issues with dietary timing.

My .02c :)

How long have you been on this new routine? The body takes time to readjust, and I suspect you're just seeing cortisol doing its thing as your body is freaking out a little.

If you have been at this for longer than two months, I'd wonder about your adrenals and possibly thyroid, as those do have some issues with dietary timing.

My .02c :)

I've been at this since about July 30th. Cortisol being high in the morning is the reason to not spike insulin early, correct? So, how would you adjust around this? Go no carbs until later in the day, even post workout? I big dose of protein can even raise insulin though.

As far as my thyroid, I take 60mcg of T4/20mcg T3 daily as prescribed by a doctor. Now I was never some huge fat guy, but when I went to my TRT doc he checked everything, and my thyroid wasn't optimal. So, he got me on a dose and adjusted it to make it optimal. I take my meds first thing in the morning on an empty stomac.

I've been at this since about July 30th. Cortisol being high in the morning is the reason to not spike insulin early, correct? So, how would you adjust around this? Go no carbs until later in the day, even post workout? I big dose of protein can even raise insulin though.

As far as my thyroid, I take 60mcg of T4/20mcg T3 daily as prescribed by a doctor. Now I was never some huge fat guy, but when I went to my TRT doc he checked everything, and my thyroid wasn't optimal. So, he got me on a dose and adjusted it to make it optimal. I take my meds first thing in the morning on an empty stomac.

You may be "flipped", which is common as thyroid and adrenal issues go hand in hand. So as most can function with carbs early in the morning and protein being dominant in the evening, your cortisol goes wonky - bringing on the bloat and lethargy. Obviously I'm not qualified to make a diagnosis, but I have a close friend that does a lot of work in this area, and she herself is "flipped"; requiring a higher carb meal at night, and protein dominance early in the day.

If your doctor is knowledgeable about the adrenals, I'd run it by them. Until then, try changing the diet accordingly and see if it stays consistently better for you. :)

You may be "flipped", which is common as thyroid and adrenal issues go hand in hand. So as most can function with carbs early in the morning and protein being dominant in the evening, your cortisol goes wonky - bringing on the bloat and lethargy. Obviously I'm not qualified to make a diagnosis, but I have a close friend that does a lot of work in this area, and she herself is "flipped"; requiring a higher carb meal at night, and protein dominance early in the day.

If your doctor is knowledgeable about the adrenals, I'd run it by them. Until then, try changing the diet accordingly and see if it stays consistently better for you. :)

Halfwit,

So how much detail do you know about being "flipped" What does your friend do? Do they have any carbs immediately post training, or do they push all carbs until later in the day? If so, what defines later in the day? After 2pm, after 5pm, anytime after noon?

Also, is there anywhere onine that has information about methods for your diet if you're flipped? Man, I left out all carbs post workout, and an hour later I'm really hurting right now. I feel completely drained, no energy, hard trying to start the work day. I lack all motivation? Next meal is in about an hour where I plan on keeping it to protein/fats, vegetables. It's 1.5 cups of egg whites, an avocado, with chopped up green bell pepper, and tomato. I top it off with some Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce, and Onion powder. It's going to be a long hour, and a long day if the only way I can combat this is push all carbs until late afternoon, or evening.

are you still getting tired after your morning workouts OP?

To a point, yes. Some days worse than others. I have started getting leaned out more like I was before my move though. What's helped is being strict with my ACV, digestive enzyme, and Glucose Dosposal Agent like I was before I moved. My GDA is all over the counter supplements, not metformin.

This kind of proves what I suspected. Despite having a good metabolism, eating right, and doing everything I can to be insulin sensitive, I am somewhat insulin resistant genetically. The GDA, and ACV really work for me.

To a point, yes. Some days worse than others. I have started getting leaned out more like I was before my move though. What's helped is being strict with my ACV, digestive enzyme, and Glucose Dosposal Agent like I was before I moved. My GDA is all over the counter supplements, not metformin.

This kind of proves what I suspected. Despite having a good metabolism, eating right, and doing everything I can to be insulin sensitive, I am somewhat insulin resistant genetically. The GDA, and ACV really work for me.

I'm sorry bud, I totally missed your last reply. Did moving towards glucose disposal agents solve it all for you, or do you still need more information on being cortisol flipped?

I'm sorry bud, I totally missed your last reply. Did moving towards glucose disposal agents solve it all for you, or do you still need more information on being cortisol flipped?

It's mostly solved it. However, I'm not at the exact weight I was when I was my leanest before the move. At the same time I feel like I'm a little bigger in my shoulders, bi's/tri's, and backs a little. So, that may be where the extra few lbs are coming from.

Either way, I'm not sure I can do anything about it at this point. I've tried keeping proteins at 10 grams with mostly Bcaa's before training. I've tried completely faster. None of that has appeared to change much.

I'll always take more input if you have it though.

Side Note: I need to get more active on this forum again. Been caught up with adapting to a new position, etc., after the move

It's mostly solved it. However, I'm not at the exact weight I was when I was my leanest before the move. At the same time I feel like I'm a little bigger in my shoulders, bi's/tri's, and backs a little. So, that may be where the extra few lbs are coming from.

Either way, I'm not sure I can do anything about it at this point. I've tried keeping proteins at 10 grams with mostly Bcaa's before training. I've tried completely faster. None of that has appeared to change much.

I'll always take more input if you have it though.

Side Note: I need to get more active on this forum again. Been caught up with adapting to a new position, etc., after the move

Here's a link to a doctor that my friend swears by. He's known in many of the adrenal/thyroid circles, so it may be worth looking into. :)

https://draxe.com/cortisol-levels/

NOTE: This link is not a conflict of interest for sponsors, nor does it offer any competition to them. This is purely for informational purposes only.

Back