Help For Girlfriend :p

Savage Tenacity

Hey guys and gals, as the title reads, I'm here to get a little advice for my girl. She has just recently got into dieting and exercising under the advice I have been giving her. For the last 7 years I have been strictly building and bulking mostly, so I'm unsure if the tips I'm giving her are completely legitimate. Anyway some stats...

She's 21 years old, 5'5 and weighs in around 125-127 pounds. A little background information:

She use to be larger in high school, getting up to around the 145-150 pound mark. She was prescribed to Adderol by her doctor, which killed her appetite, thus dropping her all the way to 120 pounds, barely eating 2 meals a day. She was hoping to tighten up her muscles for the summer, she really doesn't want to put on any size though. I told her its inevitable, someone who hasn't worked out and then begins to is going to put on muscle and it is going to be reflective when she steps on the scale. She began to do elliptical work, about 7 miles per session, 3 times a week. She does core workouts, and I also recommended jump roping as well. I told her she needs to completely change her diet around. She now eats 4 meals a day which resemble the following:

Meal One
Bagel with LaughingCow cream cheese (30 calories) also with jelly

Meal Two
Almonds and a Greek Yogurt

Meal Three
Chicken with a vegetable

Meal Four
Chicken with a vegetable

She refused to take protein shakes afterwards because she fears the weight gain. I told her if she takes it with water, it will be minimal, and her muscles will recover and grow faster because of it. No luck.

However, I recently got her on some BCAA to help aide her in recovery, she often complains that her calfs, quads, and glutes are very sore. I've told her she can not train when any of her muscles are sore, it will only hinder her results. She has been following this regiment for the past couple of weeks, I told her that a weight gain in the beginning was to be expected. However, now that she has added 5 pounds, its really messing with her head. She feels that her clothes are tighter and she doesn't like it. I told her she cant go back to two meals a day and exercising, the health risks are too high. Her body will begin to eat her muscle away, and she will resemble a "fat, skinny" person.

I think she looks great the way she is, but recommended that if she is so concerned about the weight gain, she should cut the bagel out of her diet and perhaps switch to a bowl of oatmeal with a greek yogurt, or perhaps wheat toast with a low fat peanutbutter.

Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post. I'm no expert on this stuff whatsoever, so please feel free to rip me apart if it is going to help her out. As always, any and ALL suggestions are very much appreciated!

thanks german, ill keep posting so I can communicate directly through PM...and thanks metalhead ill try and get my posts up and send a pm to 3j. Good looking out

Hey my wife and I have both done 3js, awesome results will come if you follow his programs. Ask about carb cycling. Good luck

Hey guys and gals, as the title reads, I'm here to get a little advice for my girl. She has just recently got into dieting and exercising under the advice I have been giving her. For the last 7 years I have been strictly building and bulking mostly, so I'm unsure if the tips I'm giving her are completely legitimate. Anyway some stats...

She's 21 years old, 5'5 and weighs in around 125-127 pounds. A little background information:

She use to be larger in high school, getting up to around the 145-150 pound mark. She was prescribed to Adderol by her doctor, which killed her appetite, thus dropping her all the way to 120 pounds, barely eating 2 meals a day. She was hoping to tighten up her muscles for the summer, she really doesn't want to put on any size though. I told her its inevitable, someone who hasn't worked out and then begins to is going to put on muscle and it is going to be reflective when she steps on the scale. She began to do elliptical work, about 7 miles per session, 3 times a week. She does core workouts, and I also recommended jump roping as well. I told her she needs to completely change her diet around. She now eats 4 meals a day which resemble the following:

Meal One
Bagel with LaughingCow cream cheese (30 calories) also with jelly

Meal Two
Almonds and a Greek Yogurt

Meal Three
Chicken with a vegetable

Meal Four
Chicken with a vegetable

She refused to take protein shakes afterwards because she fears the weight gain. I told her if she takes it with water, it will be minimal, and her muscles will recover and grow faster because of it. No luck.

However, I recently got her on some BCAA to help aide her in recovery, she often complains that her calfs, quads, and glutes are very sore. I've told her she can not train when any of her muscles are sore, it will only hinder her results. She has been following this regiment for the past couple of weeks, I told her that a weight gain in the beginning was to be expected. However, now that she has added 5 pounds, its really messing with her head. She feels that her clothes are tighter and she doesn't like it. I told her she cant go back to two meals a day and exercising, the health risks are too high. Her body will begin to eat her muscle away, and she will resemble a "fat, skinny" person.

I think she looks great the way she is, but recommended that if she is so concerned about the weight gain, she should cut the bagel out of her diet and perhaps switch to a bowl of oatmeal with a greek yogurt, or perhaps wheat toast with a low fat peanutbutter.

Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post. I'm no expert on this stuff whatsoever, so please feel free to rip me apart if it is going to help her out. As always, any and ALL suggestions are very much appreciated!

Hey man good luck with helping your girl out! It's a great way for the two of you to get closer (enough of playing Dr. Phil into diet lol):

Women always think if they workout and eat at a surplus they're going to bulk up and get jacked. This is untrue as they just don't have the testosterone levels like men do to get jacked. Unless she's taking AAS she's not going to get huge, but she can get a firmer, curvier figure. Female diets don't really change from male diets either the same principles apply.

A post I made in another thread:

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use the calorie calculator from myfitnesspal. It's horrible. Google the Katch-McArdle formula for calculating your BMR if you have an accurate bod fat % estimation. Take your BMR and multiply it by an activity factor for how active you are during the week including sports, extracurricular activities, work, gym etc: ~1.2-1.3 for fairly sedentary, 1.4-1.6 for moderately active, and 1.6+ for highly active. When you multiply activity factor and your BMR you will get your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This is how many calories it requires to maintain your weight. Add or subtract 10-20% of that TDEE depending on whether you want to cut or bulk. That's how many cals you should take a day (its a good estimate but might need some tweaking). Your daily MINIMUM requirements are 1-1.2g of protein per lb bodyweight and 0.45-0.5g of fat per lb body weight. These are just minimums. The rest of your calories can come from more protein, more fat, carbs, or any combination of the 3. Try to stay away from ratios bc they can be misleading, here's an example:

If you take your 2000cal number from myfitnesspal and use a ratio 45/35/20 C/P/F, that means 20% of your cals come from fat. That means you're only alotted 400cals to come from fat, and at 9cals/g, that means you'd only get ~45 g of fat a day. You weigh 193lbs which means you need around 90g of fat a day minimum for proper hormonal and bodily functions. You'd be taking in half your minimum need. The same goes for protein, at 35% of total cals, that would mean you'd only get 175g of protein a day and at your bodyweight that's acceptable but could be much more beneficial if it were higher.

The second part is bc he was using percentages (percentages can be wooly inaccurate for each individual's needs. Yes it was a post meant for a guy member but again same rules apply. Get TDEE add,10-20%cals to that for bulk, subtract 10-20%cals from that to cut, or stay at that number for maintenance. Hit 1g/lb BW in protein and around .4g/lb BW in dietary fat (these are MINIMUMS). The rest of the calories can come from carbs, more protein, more fat, or any combo of the 3. Your girl will not get jacked off of protein shakes, lifting heavy, or anything else. Her hormonal structure will just not support it without AAS. Those initial 5lbs will probably be a lot of water weight. Also BCCA are almost worthless for anything if she's hitting her minimum protein intake (meats, chicken, fish, yogurt, whey, etc all have BCCA's in them.

Thanks lucky star, I've been looking a lot at his posts on dieting and picked up some good stuff...doc as always with some great detailed information! Appreciate man. Now just gotta convince my girl that protein shakes aren't the bad guy lol

Thanks lucky star, I've been looking a lot at his posts on dieting and picked up some good stuff...doc as always with some great detailed information! Appreciate man. Now just gotta convince my girl that protein shakes aren't the bad guy lol

No problem brother. Make your girl realize that muscle and fat don't magically come or go overnight. It takes time to see some changes in either direction protein shakes are def not the bad guy but if she really doesn't want them, she doesn't need them if she's getting adequate protein from other sources i.e. meats, fish, chicken, beans, nuts etc. I've see. Studies where women are advised to take in slightly higher protein per lb BW than men bc their hormonal structure doesn't allow them to gain muscle mass at the same rate as men. The higher protein intake will just ensure they take enough to combat the lack of test levels and so on. A lot of Females also tend to lose sight of the fact that an increase on the scale isn't a bad thing. Muscle is denser than fat and therefore weighs more. If she gained weight it's most likely water and muscle with little fat. The judge of her figure should be herself and the mirror and you, not the scale. If she looks better bc she added 10lbs muscle and lost 5lbs of fat, should she really worry that she's technically 5lbs heavier or should she be happy she looks better than she did before regardless of what the scale says.

Back