Helping a younger guy

Matt4871

I'm looking for strength gains and I want the best type of diet to do that for me but because of an injury I've got a little unwanted weight as well. What's the best kind of diet to fulfill my strength/mass gaining needs while not adding (or getting rid of) the unwanted fat I've already got? I'm finally cleared for exercise so ill be getting back into things and was unsure if I should target the weight loss then try to gain or just do it at the same time, or the normal gain then cut routine. Thanks :)

A bulking diet is best for strength.

In terms of preventing any excess weight gain or even losing it, it probably wont happen. Excess calories = fat with muscle. I would probably bulk up first (eat more than you expend daily) then cut. More muscle burns calories just by existing, it makes the cut that much easier.

I'm looking for strength gains and I want the best type of diet to do that for me but because of an injury I've got a little unwanted weight as well. What's the best kind of diet to fulfill my strength/mass gaining needs while not adding (or getting rid of) the unwanted fat I've already got? I'm finally cleared for exercise so ill be getting back into things and was unsure if I should target the weight loss then try to gain or just do it at the same time, or the normal gain then cut routine. Thanks :)

You'll experience a slight recomp effect since you're new to the gym after some time off but once these gains have passed, you'll need to pick one goal or the other. Recomp diets are very difficult to pull off and the time required for them to be effective is much longer than a typical bulk/cut. Calculate your TDEE and activity factor to find out how many calories you need for maintenance. Add 10-20% more to bulk. If weight doesn't go up, add 200-300 more calories and keep doing so until weight goes up. If weight gain is too fast, reduce by 200-300 calories to slow it down. It's inevitable to gain some fat on a bulk. You have to accept this fact and not let it hinder your progress by skipping meals, reducing calories, etc. once you have your total calories for bulking aim for a minimum of 1g/lb BW of protein and ..3-.4g/lb/BW of dietary fat. Rest of the calories can come from any combo of macro.

Back