How many sets?

j-lor

Ive been doing 3x10 sets for awhile and thinking of switching it up to 4x10 to see if i get better results. What do you guys thinks?

Don't listen to that Guy..he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about haha. How ccan one be able to say that his methods are retarted? Do u know his body? I dont think so...try the 4x10 bro. I usually do 3-4 sets per exercise. Just try it out for a few weeks and see how it works..if u don't like it..switch it up

Don't listen to that Guy..he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about haha. How ccan one be able to say that his methods are retarted? Do u know his body? I dont think so...try the 4x10 bro. I usually do 3-4 sets per exercise. Just try it out for a few weeks and see how it works..if u don't like it..switch it up

Thanks man

No problem..it's always good to switch thngs up..ur body adapts to the things u put it thru..and it does so very well. I'd switch things up every 8-10 weeks or so.

Try it for 6 weeks, then switch to 4 sets of 6-8 heavier then 3 sets of 15 then 4 sets 2 6-8 2 15-20. Always change it up to confuse your body into growing, Helps with strength, size, explosivness, fat burn, muscle endurance. Always change it up every 6- 8 weeks.

For a routine, one has to use numbers, but I feel stopping because you hit a certain number is useless. You get a feel for what your capabilities are and shoot for weights that you fail when going for those sets. Sure you don't use 135 on the bench and do 100 reps because you can, but also don't use 225 for sets of 10 when you can get 15. Each set should be to failure IMO. Sure some will say this is a way to get injured and that's why you have a true and tested spotter working with you. I feel doing 4 sets of 10 really is a joke unless you are adjusting the weights each set as needed. The starting light and working heavy is a joke to me if you're keeping the same amount of reps per set. Of course you need to be properly warmed up, but you see people in the gym doing 185 for 10, then jump to 225 for 10, then 275 for 10, then 315 for 10. What the hell, if you have enough left to keep jumping like that and still get 10, then you just aren't doing what you need to be doing on the 3 previous sets to grown like you want. Those are the guys who care more about what people see them lifting and not the ones who want true results IMO.
Check this link out and you will see how I train. I change the routine up as vengeance says, but mostly the numbers of reps after 8 weeks or around there. I tend to do most of the same lifts, but throw in some different shit here and there and even change the order in which I do each exercise in the routine. Different strokes for different folks as they say, some are stuck in their ways and won't ever change, but those are usually the guys in the gym who look the same year after year. You know the guys I'm talking about. LOL!
http://www.steroidology.com/forum/training-forum/150643-live2trains-bulking-routine.html

For a routine, one has to use numbers, but I feel stopping because you hit a certain number is useless. You get a feel for what your capabilities are and shoot for weights that you fail when going for those sets. Sure you don't use 135 on the bench and do 100 reps because you can, but also don't use 225 for sets of 10 when you can get 15. Each set should be to failure IMO. Sure some will say this is a way to get injured and that's why you have a true and tested spotter working with you. I feel doing 4 sets of 10 really is a joke unless you are adjusting the weights each set as needed. The starting light and working heavy is a joke to me if you're keeping the same amount of reps per set. Of course you need to be properly warmed up, but you see people in the gym doing 185 for 10, then jump to 225 for 10, then 275 for 10, then 315 for 10. What the hell, if you have enough left to keep jumping like that and still get 10, then you just aren't doing what you need to be doing on the 3 previous sets to grown like you want. Those are the guys who care more about what people see them lifting and not the ones who want true results IMO.
Check this link out and you will see how I train. I change the routine up as vengeance says, but mostly the numbers of reps after 8 weeks or around there. I tend to do most of the same lifts, but throw in some different shit here and there and even change the order in which I do each exercise in the routine. Different strokes for different folks as they say, some are stuck in their ways and won't ever change, but those are usually the guys in the gym who look the same year after year. You know the guys I'm talking about. LOL!
steroidology.com/forum/training-forum/150643-live2trains-bulking-routine.html

^^ GREAT ADVICE. Remember everyone's body is different but when it comes to training it is all about diet.

i never go into the gym thinking how many sets and reps i will do. i just push myself and do what i feel i need to do that day. some days you are weaker, some days you are stronger. i'm not going to limit my self to 3x10 if i know i can get more reps or one more set, i'm also not going to try and kill myself if i'm not feeling it that day. i also agree with live2train, you're going to hold back on the first two sets to get that last one. go in, warm up to you working weight, push it the fuck out. if you're getting more than 8 reps you are not going heavy enough. next set you may get 5 reps that's fine. next set you may need to drop the weight a few pounds to get 5 reps again. by the end you should feel like you gave it your all. stop with this routine shit. the only routine should be what exercises you are going to perform and in what order. not sets.

What are your goals? I stop doing 3 x 10 long time ago. I love power lifting and my training looks more like: 5 x 5, 6 x 6 and sometimes singles. Your goals and your body are going to tell you which route choose.

Bro, this is exactly what I tell everyone. I write routines as guidlines for people to follow and therefore you have to have numbers in there. I am huge on not doing set reps. As you stated and like I tell everyone, your body and strength are going to be different at times and just because you did something yesterday doesn't mean you will do it the next week, or you might be feeling better and can do more the next week. I feel the set rep shit is a hindrance in the gym. People look at it as I need to get ten and push ten and thank god it's out of the way. NOT a good way to work out IMO. As you stated Don, you can't just do 8 reps with a weight that you could have gotten 12 and expect big results. You have to tax those muscles each and every set. No holding out for the next set or any shit like that. I have personally trained guys who have done 8 reps with a weight and come back next week and only get 6 and want to go home. That's where the number game will get into your head. They could have had a lack of sleep, poor diet, stress on the job or home, etc. that affected their performance that day, but they look at it like they failed. The only failing you have to worry about in the gym is lifting until you can't lift another rep and then you have done something. You can't treat bodybuilding like a job, where you just want to get done and go home. You have to love pushing yourself and enjoy doing it, or you will be mediocre at best.

I know we are beating this to death, but it's something I can't stress enough. It's one of the single most mistakes besides bad form that I see in the gym. Granted everyone is not there to get huge. Some want to maintain a certain body style and some want to just socialize, but for the ones who want to grow, take this advice that has been given. You will be glad you did.

I never go to failure and my form is pretty sloppy on certain lifts at certain times... It works for me though. And note, my form is sloppy on accessory movements never major compounds.

I never go to failure and my form is pretty sloppy on certain lifts at certain times... It works for me though. And note, my form is sloppy on accessory movements never major compounds.

I wonder how much better your stats would be if you did bro. If you're happy with where you're at that's all that matters. I'm just trying to help the OP out a little. When I'm talking shitty form I mean 1/4 rep squats and not taking the guard off the leg pres machine so you can do a full rep. There are times where my heavy curls don't look perfect on the last few reps, but I'm not throwing my back and legs into the whole lift. I guess we all have our own ways of working out and as I stated, if you're happy with what you're doing and your physique then that's what matters. I just like to offer advice when someone comes on here asking, because obviously they are looking to do better and aren't fully happy with the results they are getting from their time spent in the gym.

when i walk in to the gym fresh i can lift very very heavy but after each set my energy/power/strenght decreses loads! so what should i do im confused? should i pyramid the weight down? or keep to one weight or pyramid up wattt???

when i walk in to the gym fresh i can lift very very heavy but after each set my energy/power/strenght decreses loads! so what should i do im confused? should i pyramid the weight down? or keep to one weight or pyramid up wattt???

In general, and after a good warm up, I start with whatever weight I thnik I can do for however many reps I trying to do. After my first 1-2 sets, my reps go down but my weight stays the same. For a full set, I usually land somewhere around 8-10 reps the first 2-3 sets, then 6-8 for sets 3-4. Sometimes I hit 8-10reps for every set, sometime I only hit 2reps for the last set.

Listen to your body.

Back