How to Squat BIG...

thanks for the input , its good to have differing opinions.
i personnaly never did well with periodised training. i didnt rely heavily on good mornings or box squats but i did incooperate them as part of the variety of excercises i used along with bands , chains , etc..at almost 50 and haveing undergone several back/neck surgeries im out of the game now.

What type issues were U having with Ur neck before having surgery??? If U don't mind me askin.:druggie:

What type issues were U having with Ur neck before having surgery??? If U don't mind me askin.:druggie:

i never blew any disk , i have some neuropathy/ nerve damage in one foot and one arm . the neck caused the trouble in the arm with loss of feeling and some weakness. per my doc i have a genetic disposition to a certain kind of bone spur that grows inside the spine and rubs the cord. it really isnt a big deal on day to day liveing but heavy lifting isnt a option. it was my fault for not getting them fixed before the nerve damage was permenant.

I've got nerve damage as well, my left arm gets really numb all the way down to my left foot, mine gets worse when cycling and lifting heavy while bulking. I think it maybe from some water retention and extra weight compressing my nerve, at least that's what my sports medicine doc is saying. Any suggestions as to how to lower the risk of further damage?? Always looking for personal experiences from other vets that have/had this issue.

I've got nerve damage as well, my left arm gets really numb all the way down to my left foot, mine gets worse when cycling and lifting heavy while bulking. I think it maybe from some water retention and extra weight compressing my nerve, at least that's what my sports medicine doc is saying. Any suggestions as to how to lower the risk of further damage?? Always looking for personal experiences from other vets that have/had this issue.

100% SEE A NEUROSURGEON. check to see if there is something that will cause permenant damage before its to late.

Will do DADAWG, and Thanks for the info bro, I've been told this alot the last couple of months, and U just confirmed it for me. Everything U described my mom and grandma have. Gonna make an appt tomorrow. Thanks bro.

Do U think I should lower the weight till I get the appt?? Reason I ask, I have trouble discerning what's heavy due to significant strength increase whilst cycling. Plus it could be a few weeks to a month around here before I can actually see the doc face to face, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Do U think I should lower the weight till I get the appt?? Reason I ask, I have trouble discerning what's heavy due to significant strength increase whilst cycling. Plus it could be a few weeks to a month around here before I can actually see the doc face to face, if that makes sense.

i would probablly lay off heavy squat/deadlift/weight bearing excercises until im checked out.

I knew that, just needed to hear it from people that know the deal! Appreciate Ur feedback and advice DADAWG.

I knew that, just needed to hear it from people that know the deal! Appreciate Ur feedback and advice DADAWG.

no problem. if you have access pull a sled for a while. with it attached at the waist all the weight is off the spine and trust me you can completely fry your legs with a sled.

I will, I do alot of roadwork this time of year, and pulling a sled is part of my regimen. I'm gonna focus more on that type training, and ease off the deads, heavy squats etc.. until I get a prognosis. Very informative and helpful advice.

Just my opinion. Apologies for the typos in my post- however what I said holds true. Box squats are a TERRIBLE exercise that should not be attempted by anyone. In order for any athlete to progress, you need to create a periodised training program, which alternates training intensity and variety. I'm sure these guys have great squats, due to super human hard work, dedication nutrition and genetics - however I'm not convinced about a lot of the advice here. Good mornings may be beneficial, but doing so many is another sure-fire way to damage yourself. This is training advice for a highly advanced athlete- if you are not close to squatting insane numbers, you should under no circumstances consider box squats and lots of good mornings (deadlifts should be the mainstay of back development). The author does not emphasise that you should build up from low intensities to high over a period of say 12 weeks, before transitioning to another phase of training. By "jumping straight in" with high stress movements you are asking for trouble, especially if you are new to said movements.
I may not be as an accomplished squatter as the autor, but I can still squat 240kg at a weight of 82kg. Without trying to sound self important, I can also say that I have a first class degree in Sport Science and a masters, so I do know what I'm talking about. I felt it important to give a different view, because I can see someone doing ultra heavy spine-loading exercises without care and attention. Good luck all!
We avoid injury by using thick rubber pads on the wood box where I lift.I squat off a box every week and haven't had any back pain or injury.If someone was to do a hard bounce off a bare wood box I can definitely see them getting a spinal injury.

I cant say where I lift do to the nature of this board but I will say I personally know some top shelf squatters.Every freaking one of them squat off a box,including the women and 16 yr old boys we have that can out squat you.

I listen to the strong guys...............

Back